SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New England Clam Chowder
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New England Clam Chowder Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Anybody order a second six pack yet?

I just received my first. So, follow-up on the above - half and half the way to go? Did someone try using anything different - just whole milk? Anybody try thicker - whole heavy cream?

I don't think I've ever bought half and half before. I usually just buy whole milk or cream....

Anybody add stuff to it - extra can of clams (w/ clam juice?)?

High expectations..... Smile Expensive stuff - wanna make the most of every can. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Use half and half, and a Tb of butter, just like it says on the can.

I have been raving about this chowder since I got it. I gave a can to my brother this morning. He took it home, had his wife get the fixings and had it for lunch. Not long after, I had a text from him.

“Wow! You were so right about the chowder! Thanks....”

I’ve been enjoying a cup of chowder with a sandwich for lunches every other day or so.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Dang. Okay. Need to wait another day so I can hit the market. I just have whole milk right now.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I use whole milk Lactaid, but don’t quite use as much per can.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody order a second six pack yet?

I just received my first. So, follow-up on the above - half and half the way to go? Did someone try using anything different - just whole milk? Anybody try thicker - whole heavy cream?

I used the first 3 cans as directed....gradually I discovered I prefer it more 'straight' without adding the extras fluids.

Just got my 2nd case today.
Thanks for the thread, had simply forgotten about the product.

It really IS the best canned chowder I've ever had on either coast.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a family member driving through Florida and after reading this I decided to get 10 cans of Tony’s. It’s really good, thanks for the reviews and to those who posted it can be found at Publix.

Posts: 214 | Registered: May 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have get some to try out. I love New England Clam chowder.

I also love Minorcan clam chowder, I have not had any in years, so I looked up a recipe and made some. It calls for Datil peppers, which I did not have, but I have some Datil pepper sauce, so I winged it.

I must say that it came out fairly well. Not as good as what I had down in St. Augustine, but it will work.

I'm going to look for this stuff though. It's gotten such rave reviews.

Arman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Can you post us A recipe?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Tried my first can. Clover half and half with some butter.

It was good. Maybe 4 out of 5. Better than average canned chowder. But not the best I’ve had. And then minus 0.5 for sand. Solid 3.5 stars which makes it good for when I want chowder but don’t want to go out. But wish it had more clam presence - both taste and meat.

Now I’ll start playing with it. Maybe add some live shucked clams. Maybe some clam juice. Some dashes of this and that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:

Sure. I changed mine just a little as I added carrots and used half of what is called for in onions. I also used Datil pepper sauce/paste as I didn't have any fresh Datil peppers.

Half pound of bacon
2 medium onions, diced
2 green peppers, diced
2 red peppers, diced
2 Datil peppers, diced with seeds removed
1 large potato pealed and diced
28oz canned diced tomatoes
51oz clams, (if large size chopped, save juice
1 teaspoon of dried tyme

In a large pot render the bacon
Keep bacon ( chop or crumble it and add with tomatoes )
Add onions and the green/red peppers saute until onions are translucent
Add tomatoes, clams and juice, potatoes, Datil peppers and tyme
Let simmer until potatoes are fork tender

45 minutes/servers 8

It came out fairly good for me. It was close to what I remember eating in St. Augustine FL., wasn't to hard to make.

Arman

I forgot you need 18oz of clam juice (bottled), cup of fish stock.

Next time I make it I'm going to add a few stalks of celery, rosemary 1 teaspoon, oregano 1 teaspoon.

I also forgot salt and pepper to taste.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ARman,

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:

Sure. I changed mine just a little as I added carrots and used half of what is called for in onions. I also used Datil pepper sauce/paste as I didn't have any fresh Datil peppers.

Half pound of bacon
2 medium onions, diced
2 green peppers, diced
2 red peppers, diced
2 Datil peppers, diced with seeds removed
1 large potato pealed and diced
28oz canned diced tomatoes
51oz clams, (if large size chopped, save juice
1 teaspoon of dried tyme

In a large pot render the bacon
Keep bacon ( chop or crumble it and add with tomatoes )
Add onions and the green/red peppers saute until onions are translucent
Add tomatoes, clams and juice, potatoes, Datil peppers and tyme
Let simmer until potatoes are fork tender

45 minutes/servers 8

It came out fairly good for me. It was close to what I remember eating in St. Augustine FL., wasn't to hard to make.

Arman

Seems pretty dry.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I edited, I forgotten the clam juice and fish stock. I got this recipe off the interwiz, it was fairly good, but I'm going to tweak on it a bit.

Arman

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me but paying $5 for a can and then tweaking the hell out of it doesn't pass my sanity check. From my knothole if the can needs that much effort it isn't worth the $5 asking price.

Some of those that have left it alone express desires for more clams, etc. so again I wonder about all the fuss.

FWIW when stationed at BIW in Maine outfitting a new ship as a member of the commissioning nucleus team* nearly 40 years ago, I found some great clam chowder as well as lobster rolls available. Then there was a local lobsterman I befriended allowing me to grab a good number of 2 to 3 pounders at an insanely low price right off the pier and fly them down to Florida on a P3C to return with some jumbo gulf shrimp that would be made into glorious Cajun dishes for a number of us by a wife of an officer assigned to FIT. That was a routine mission every two weeks as our families were where we were to be home ported! Those were great seafood days! Big Grin

BIW = Bath Iron Works
FIT = Fleet Introduction Team
* initially just me and the Chief Engineer and much later augmented by a dozen and a half more crew members

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes, on one hand it seems odd to pay for a can and then tweak.

On the other hand, I may want some at the spur of the moment and don't want to make from scratch. The can is a great starter kit / foundation and then I can flavor to taste. For me, it tastes pretty good other than lacking in clams and clam flavor. In this case, I can fix that pretty easily - clam chowder at the spur of the moment. As long as I keep a pint of cream handy.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
This stuff is fantastic. I've never bothered making it from scratch since discovering it.

Agreed, it is really good stuff. His restaurant is on Cedar Key FL, an interesting place.

The nutritional information on the can says that the can contains 3.5 srviings. My question: who gets the half serving?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Don’t understand the question.

1 can. 1 pint of cream. French bread. Butter. My lunch. Go away. Smile

posted Hide Post
If Konata’s analysis that it’s “lacking in clams and clam flavor” is accurate, then it sounds like Tonys badly misses the target. It is clam chowder, after all. Can anyone who’s sampled both comment on a comparison between Tonys and Progresso traditional new england clam chowder (the latter easy to find in stores)?

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Konata’s analysis that it’s “lacking in clams and clam flavor” is accurate, then it sounds like Tonys badly misses the target. It is clam chowder, after all. Can anyone who’s sampled both comment on a comparison between Tonys and Progresso traditional new england clam chowder (the latter easy to find in stores)?

Tony's. Definitely. I tested out of curiosity a few weeks ago. Smile Did blind taste testing with me and my wife. Tony's by a large margin.

To be fair, I should maybe qualify my prior comment that it was perhaps not at the level I was expecting / preferred. It may be fine for most. Tony's with cream (vs half-half) is a great working base for me now - when I want more clam, I just add some additional clam (can of clams + juice).

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Tony’s is easily far better than any clam chowder I have ever had in the store bought can variety. I have had clam chowder in haute cuisine restaurants on a number of occasions, all really good but I could not say they stood out as better than Tony’s.

posted Hide Post
I thought it was interesting that a lot of people think the best clam chowder is from a place in Florida. I thought it would be from somewhere in New England. I go to Tampa several times a year to visit family. So I looked up Tony's and Cedar Key. It was a little bit out of my way, but I thought I would try it. I am not a big clam chowder fan, so I have not tried a bunch of different kinds. But this was definitely the best clam chowder I have ever had and was probably one of the best bowls of soup I have ever had. I also got a seafood platter and was very pleased with it. I think it was worth the detour. Cedar Key was an interesting place. I don't know if I will go every time I go to Florida, but I will do it again.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post