SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New England Clam Chowder
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New England Clam Chowder Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Is that the red or the white?

New England = white
Manhattan = red

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Question on the Tony's chowda: looking at it on Amazon it says the 15oz can makes up to a quart. So are the cans a concentrate you are suppose to mix, and if so with what, or can you just eat it straight from the can?

Being from Boston all I ever had was my mom's homemade but where I'm at now I usually pick up a can of Progresso (its not too bad). I might try the Tony's.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Question on the Tony's chowda: looking at it on Amazon it says the 15oz can makes up to a quart. So are the cans a concentrate you are suppose to mix, and if so with what, or can you just eat it straight from the can?

Being from Boston all I ever had was my mom's homemade but where I'm at now I usually pick up a can of Progresso (its not too bad). I might try the Tony's.

Tony’s website shows the amounts of half & half and butter to be added to each can. Don’t remember what the amounts were or I’d tell you.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
just buy some Dungeness crab and make them yourself. Must be Dungeness.

Sacrilege!

You must be a West Coaster.

Us East Coasters all know that BLUE CRABS make the best crab cakes!

I grew up in Texas catching blue crabs and eating them the same day.

Still live in Texas, still go crabbing for blue crabs, but I also spend a lot of time on the Oregon coast now and have caught quite a few Dungeness crabs and eaten them the same day, too.

Dungeness crabs are easier to pick apart but I'd give the blue crabs a slight edge on flavor. In a crab cake, with all the other stuff going on, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference.

At the end of the day, Dungeness and blue crabs are both among the very tastiest things you can put in your mouth.

The biggest mistake people make with crab cakes is too much filler, usually too much breadcrumbs or crushed cracker. Crab cakes should mostly be crab, with a bit of seasoning and just enough other stuff to keep it from falling apart. Crab cakes at a lot of restaurants are often more like crab-flavored bread cakes, because crab is expensive and bread isn't. They should look like a little pile of crab meat, not like a falafel or hush puppy or something.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
{Joke break}
This guy's wife went missing off the coast of Alaska. A few days later a state trooper knocked on his door. The cop said, "Sir, I've got some bad news and some good news for you. The bad news is that we pulled your wife's body up with five Dungeness crabs hanging on to her. The good news is that we're gonna pull her up again tomorrow."

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Tony’s went up to New England ( I believe it was Boston, matter of fact) for the local “best New England clam chowder contest”. They won three years in a row and were asked not to come back! One of the secrets to their success is, not only their fantastic recipe, but they also have access to a huge clam farming venture right there in Cedar Key. Get ‘em while they’re young and succulent.
I’m getting hungry now, I may have to heat some of that stuff up tonight. I always keep a couple cans on the shelves! Wink

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Tony's is pretty good. It is a bit on the spicy side though as I recall, if you are sensitive that.

I found a website where the the guy who came up with the Tony's recipe, "shares his recipe" for it (not really).

There's no recipe, but he does seem to share the ingredients with some tips and it's up to you to experiment and get it to your liking. Might be a fun way to spend a day.

https://www.news4jax.com/food/...ipe-for-clam-chowder

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Tony's is pretty good. It is a bit on the spicy side though as I recall, if you are sensitive that.

I found a website where the the guy who came up with the Tony's recipe, "shares his recipe" for it (not really).

There's no recipe, but he does seem to share the ingredients with some tips and it's up to you to experiment and get it to your liking. Might be a fun way to spend a day.

https://www.news4jax.com/food/...ipe-for-clam-chowder

Jeepers, I hope not. I got inspired earlier and ordered a six pack on Amazon. I love clam chowder but not too spicy!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Endorse Tony's as well.

Used to be a small sandwich shop 1 street over from LL Bean in Freeport, ME. That was hands down the best I ever had.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stayed at Lamie's Inn in Hampton, New Hampshire

You have to get in touch next time up. The Old Salt is ok but far from the best in the area. Best chowder IMO is fish or lobster. Morrison has both and a mixed version made fresh.

Morrison's on Badger Island (seasonal) or Bob's Calm Hut or the Beach Plum.

Better places to stay. Plummer Homestead is cheaper and nicer. Usually Sig discounts.

https://plumerhomestead.com/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sacrilege!

So what are LUMP CRABS? Best I had in Virginia on a business trip. It was almost like a patty of pure crab! And what about SNOW CRAB, they any good for cooking? They are delicious steamed with drawn butter & lemon..sweet!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
quote:
quote:

Sacrilege!

So what are LUMP CRABS? Best I had in Virginia on a business trip. It was almost like a patty of pure crab! And what about SNOW CRAB, they any good for cooking? They are delicious steamed with drawn butter & lemon..sweet!

Lump refers to the part of the crab, not the type of crab.

If you break a crab's body open, there are a bunch of little compartments full of meat that you have to pick apart.

Lump crab meat is just the two biggest pieces of meat in the crab - the muscles connected to the big back swimming legs.

I've only ever had snow crab in not-fancy restaurants and thought it was OK but not great. Might be better if you got it fresh and did it yourself.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Another Tony’s Clam Chowder fan here. Have bought it both from them and Amazon. Great stuff.
Read can for instructions
1 can chowder concentrate— save can for
1 can half and half
2 tsp butter.

I’m lactose intolerant. I use Lactaid Whole Milk. Just not a whole can in my chowder. And butter.
It’s got a little twang, but not overwhelming. Not a fan of spicy or hot food.
I’ve given it away as presents. Everyone likes it. Publix sells it but no Publix in Ohio.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Received a six-pack of Tony's today and tried it for dinner.

Very good with a touch of spice but not too much.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I received 6 cans yesterday. I’ll get some half and half next trip to store.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My local Publix carries it and I bought a couple cans and some half and half the other day...it is most excellent stuff Smile...I think you will like it JALLEN.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best mail order crab cakes are from G&M in Linthicum MD. Not cheap, but worth it

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
JALLEN,

I just tried this soup for dinner last night. This stuff is excellent! One of the best clam chowders that I have ever eaten.

Thanks for sharing this information,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
You guys talked me into it, just ordered some.

Got it before they started adding sales tax Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I opened a can today for lunch. Mixed per instructions on the can and heated, but not boiled.

It is very good clam chowder, nicely seasoned with just enough spice to notice but far less than what will turn your mustache white. It is much better than the ordinary clam chowders found on grocery store shelves. I’m not sure it is the best ever. I remember the clam chowder at Point Loma Sea Food as being extremely good, but you don’t find it canned and sold in stores.

I think it will be the house clam chowder here for a long time to come.