SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New England Clam Chowder
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New England Clam Chowder Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
Looking for a good ready made chowder.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
This stuff is really good. Just add your own cream and heat. Some Publix stores carry this.

Ha, I see I forgot the link. It's the Tony's that Shugart posted as well.
https://www.tonyschowder.com/

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
This stuff is fantastic. I've never bothered making it from scratch since discovering it.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I 2nd Tony’s from Cedar Key Fl. They sell it online as well.
Great stuff!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
This stuff is fantastic. I've never bothered making it from scratch since discovering it.

Learned about Tony's from Sig Forum. Bought a case. It is fantastic.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Ordered a case, free shipping from Amazon.com

Now, where does one get world class crab cakes?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Ohhh, JALLAN....just buy some Dungeness crab and make them yourself. Must be Dungeness. Pure heaven, and easy to make. If you need a recipe I can provide. Costco sells pound containers of D-Crab for a good price.

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Ohhh, JALLAN....just buy some Dungeness crab and make them yourself. Must be Dungeness. Pure heaven, and easy to make. If you need a recipe I can provide. Costco sells pound containers of D-Crab for a good price.

Sounds like a good recipe to send Sigmonkey for the cookbook.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When they are in season we buy 2-4 a week. FishOn is right about how easy they are to make. The biggest mistake is to over cook them.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I don't want to make myself (ie - just heat and serve), I usually buy pre-made crab cakes from the seafood counter at Whole Foods. It works for me given my local store. YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
The Phillips cakes are pretty damn good for being frozen. My local Costco carries them. I have eaten several boxes of them. Great by themselves, with steaks, or for eggs benny.

https://www.phillipsfoods.com/...nd-style-crab-cakes/

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We started ordering Tony's after reading about it here. It is really good, just the right amount of spice for us.

Crab Cakes are made by the wife, she's got it down pretty good!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I’ve never found it. Is it with he tuna and salmon canned goods?

You may fire when ready with the recipe.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I stayed at Lamie's Inn in Hampton, New Hampshire while I was attending classes at Sig Academy. The Old Salt Restaurant, attached to Lamie's, had some of the best clam chowder I've ever eaten. They sell it in cans:

http://www.oldsaltnh.com/produ...ans-of-clam-chowder/

Enjoy!

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My Costco has crab in the refrigerated section.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
just buy some Dungeness crab and make them yourself. Must be Dungeness.

Sacrilege!

You must be a West Coaster.

Us East Coasters all know that BLUE CRABS make the best crab cakes!

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Is that the red or the white?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Is that the red or the white?

New England = white
Manhattan = red

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure, I will consult with the wife and post the recipe. It involves Pankow, spices, and lots of D-Crab. Snow crab will not work. Must be D-crab. Home made tarter is also key. Stay tuned.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dungeness crabs are scarce in Central Texas.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post