SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saps? Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
Is this what you guys are talking about?

https://www.defensedevices.com...er-sap-slappers.html

Yes, at least I am.

Those are the puppies in question.

Also this style.
http://www.weapons-universe.co...jack-wrist-strap.htm

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have a couple. The black one (sap) came to me from a friend here in Wickenburg who is a car salesman. Whenever he would take in a car in trade, he would scour it for anything usable, and that's where this sap came from. It is labeled (stamped) "JAY-PEE LONG SLUGGER".

The other is a little more interesting. When my wife was still on the job as a horse-mounted officer, she had met some RCMP officers at a police horse competition. One of them gave her this official RCMP riding crop. Those of you who hang around horses recognize this is much more than just a riding crop. I don't know what is in the handle end, either steel or lead, but when you turn it around and hold it by the twitch end, you have a "rioting crop", as we nicknamed it.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody know if these are legal for a civilian to own? That Boston Leather one is made just a few miles from me, and it would be interesting to buy one.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you live. They're a "deadly weapon" in NY.

You could just buy a book weight for all your reading needs.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Now, there's an idea! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Sadly I’m still a hands-on guy. I’m getting too old for this and need to rethink my ways.

Verbal judo is your friend.

Hahahahahaha. Everytime I hear this I always loose it laughing. We had one guy who was a firm believer in that crap and would actually walk away from a situation when the fight was on and the rest of us were going at it. Even better was he sucked at it. Would get a shitty tone with people who were complying or smaller than him and sounded like he was scared out of his mind by anyone who wanted to fight.

As its been said already, saps are a no no. We have other tools today, but our county remains retarded with tasers. Everytime someone is tased you need to take them to the hospital to be cleared per the doctor at the prison who refuses to do clearances. I'm a bigger fan of oc spray anyway. No clearance, they cant see you after a good shot to the face, and minus one person everyone has ended the same...a blubbering, snot covered mess. As for asp batons, I have used mine for breaking windows, and reaching things on the ground under a desk that I drop. Makes a handy extension for your arm cause of all the shit on your belt. Besides that, fairly worthless.

For now, and the foreseeable future while I remain young and not too worn out, I'll keep with hands on and spray, or both combined which is the norm for me. Granted our dept runs a little different then others in our county. We always run in pairs, and usually run all around the county supporting other depts with calls.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
As for asp batons, I have used mine for breaking windows, and reaching things on the ground under a desk that I drop. Makes a handy extension for your arm cause of all the shit on your belt. Besides that, fairly worthless.

Don't forget back scratcher... Great for reaching that itchy spot under your vest.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sadly I’m still a hands-on guy. I’m getting too old for this and need to rethink my ways.

Hahahahahaha. Everytime I hear this I always loose it laughing. We had one guy who was a firm believer in that crap and would actually walk away from a situation when the fight was on and the rest of us were going at it. Even better was he sucked at it. Would get a shitty tone with people who were complying or smaller than him and sounded like he was scared out of his mind by anyone who wanted to fight.

As its been said already, saps are a no no. We have other tools today, but our county remains retarded with tasers. Everytime someone is tased you need to take them to the hospital to be cleared per the doctor at the prison who refuses to do clearances. I'm a bigger fan of oc spray anyway. No clearance, they cant see you after a good shot to the face, and minus one person everyone has ended the same...a blubbering, snot covered mess. As for asp batons, I have used mine for breaking windows, and reaching things on the ground under a desk that I drop. Makes a handy extension for your arm cause of all the shit on your belt. Besides that, fairly worthless.

For now, and the foreseeable future while I remain young and not too worn out, I'll keep with hands on and spray, or both combined which is the norm for me. Granted our dept runs a little different then others in our county. We always run in pairs, and usually run all around the county supporting other depts with calls.

Wait, your time will come. Learn how to talk them out of what they are thinking of doing now, your body will thank you when you are my age.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
In my first plainclothes assignment they were still circulating among the "old guys" but no new ones were being bought or issued. Policy was updated to incorporate the "new" ASPs, but oddly, nobody at HQ thought to prohibit other impact weapons (like the beavertail flat saps that were still out there.) Us young guys would occasionally "inherit" one from a retiring dinosaur.

The instructions for use, such as they were, were usually along the lines of "Avoid the head and groin, and develop amnesia about who gave this to you."

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I came on the job in the late 70’s we all carried them on patrol. A few had sap gloves but most of us just had a regular sap in our left rear leg pocket. We used them when needed. The Beavertail sap had its own derogatory name for work in Newton division. We also applied the carotid artery chockhold liberally. We had no taser, no Mace/Pepper spray and no radio once we left the car back then so while it seems barbaric in todays policing, it was one of our limited tools if needed.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Take your pick.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Our uniform pants had a sap pockets in the leg although I carried my Jay-Pee medium slugger tucked in my waist under the rig. Never hit anyone in the head with it but there’s probably a number of arthritic fingers out there. It was great when bad guys wouldn’t let go of something.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sargespd
posted Hide Post
My great grandfather was a Philly cop in the early 1900's, and I inherited some of his stuff, including an interesting sap, or Billy. It was a coil spring, about an inch and a half in diameter. At one end was a wooden knob covered in leather, at the other, a lead knob, also leather covered. Total of about eight inches. I guess you decided how much persuading your miscreant needed and chose which end to use.

I shave with Occam's razor

Posts: 3654 | Location: Springdale (Cincinnati) Ohio USA | Registered: January 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my early days, I carried a sap. A "Texan", in fact. I used it mainly to rap the knuckles of drunks who were refusing to let go of a bar or steering wheel. Or my shirt!
When it was outlawed, I missed it. Like any tool of LE, it can be used or abused.
And I think the ASP type of collapsible baton is pretty much useless.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wait, your time will come. Learn how to talk them out of what they are thinking of doing now, your body will thank you when you are my age.

Yup. Hands on and spray and all that stuff absolutely has it's time and place. Hell, it was even kind of fun in my younger years. But one of my training officers back in the 80's told me "your voice is your greatest weapon, so learn how to use it." The older I got, the more I remembered this advice and saw the wisdom in it. You may not see it that way yet, but when you're older and smarter (sarcasm intended) you will. It just might allow you to be a bit more active in retirement....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sargespd:
My great grandfather was a Philly cop in the early 1900's, and I inherited some of his stuff, including an interesting sap, or Billy. It was a coil spring, about an inch and a half in diameter. At one end was a wooden knob covered in leather, at the other, a lead knob, also leather covered. Total of about eight inches. I guess you decided how much persuading your miscreant needed and chose which end to use.

They call that a "convoy" around Eastern NC.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post