SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remote Driveway Alert Suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remote Driveway Alert Suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I've seen some posts here before about these sensors to let you know when a vehicle enters a driveway.

Requirements are:

Sensor doesn't need line power
not an underground sensor
transmits ~ 1/4 mile line of site

I see a few out there with solar power, that might be a good option, just wondering if anyone has used any yet as they look pretty new.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Dakota driveway alarm. It uses a battery transmitter with the vehicle sensor that you bury next to the driveway. I guess you don't HAVE to bury it as it is weatherproof. You could just hide it along the driveway. It will only pick up vehicles or metallic objects. Deer and motion does not set it off. They say it works up to a mile away, but I can only say that mine works up to about 800 feet. I have the base station ringer in the house and I also opted for the rechargable mobile receiver that is about the size of a pager. I can have it on me around my 3 acres so I will know when someone comes down the driveway.

You can find them on Amazon, where else? I have tried a few others but the motion sensing ones go off when deer pass them, etc.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
My driveway is 800' and I use the Guardline GL5000 1/4-Mile Wireless Driveway Alarm. In my experience it works very consistently and you can have up to 16 sensors if there's more than one way to access your property. It also has a crap-ton of alarm chimes built in so you can select anything from a classical clip to really friggin annoying.

https://www.guardlinesecurity....eless-driveway-alarm

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My setup is like bluecobra’s; FedEx and UPS drivers (until the get to know me) seem surprised to look up from finding our package and see me standing there.

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Another plus for Dakota Alert Driveway Alarm. I have installed two of them, battery operated, absolutely fantastic. By the way, still on the original batteries going on my fourth year.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a gift for someone, and he doesn't want to tear up his driveway to place it so the underground is a no go.

I saw that same one Audioholic, I was hoping someone had experience with it.

Thanks for the feedback

***edit***

Just re-read your post bluecobra. guess I'll have to look into that one a little.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I put my sensors along the outside edge of my driveways and they work fine....no tearing up the driveway.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, as ggile said, you bury the sensor beside the driveway. Mine is about 1 foot away from the asphalt and works great. I have had mine for 2 years and still on the original batteries.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Guardline. They just work

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have the Guardline, standard range version, but only since January. Two sending units and one receiver. Still on the original batteries. One sensor on the mailbox post pointing toward the house, up the driveway... a blind spot for us, and one sensor covering the new pool deck entrance. The sensors are set to set off different sounds so you know which one has been triggered. The drive makes a car horn Beeeep-Beeeep sound! There is some sensitivity and coverage adjustment.

At my current setting I very rarely get any false alarms but a cat or even birds that come by just right can set it off, as can the wind, moving an in sensor range tree. Also, It annoys my wife no end if I forget to silence it before mowing the yard. (I haven't shown her how) Big Grin. I could dial back the sensitivity but it is actually pretty dang good as it is.

We love it, but if the area isn't clear of bushes and trees that could cause false alarms he might prefer a magnetic type.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have the cheapy Harbor Freight unit. Works quite well. Just be careful where you position it. Otherwise blowing leaves and other things will trigger it.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a sensor similar to what has been posted but I think cheaper. There was a chopped off barrel used as a planter at the mouth of our drive when we moved in, so I buried it there. Works really well.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
A chihuahua. Big Grin

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
This should be audible from that distance.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the guardline can you reduce sensitivity to where only a car would register? Sadly, its winter I can't bury the magnetic style till it spring.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods62:
With the guardline can you reduce sensitivity to where only a car would register? Sadly, its winter I can't bury the magnetic style till it spring.

Not really. It is adjustable, but can be triggered by wind blown bushes or animals like cats and dogs etc.

Location and perfect aiming and adjustment of the options can help. I have two sending units and one receiver. I like them. There is one very annoying thing about them, I guess that have to be waterproof but that means you have remove some tiny screws to open the case to make adjustments.

One Youtube video link below... there are others to watch.

link

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NWPWmnfWmQ

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post