SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It would have been necessary to use far more than 59 cruise missiles to have much effect on the runways. During World War II airfields were attacked with huge numbers of aircraft (and many bombs per aircraft), the fields were cratered, and they were often repaired and back in service almost overnight. Hitting the facilities that were targeted would have some effect on operations, but this was a demonstration, not much more. If the intent is a true military purpose, we don’t let the people there know what’s coming so they can evacuate all their critical personnel and whatever equipment they can in advance.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I hate to be the penny pincher here, but at ~$1M each, we spent around $60M today in Tomahawks on this little bitch slap of Assad. Can we please go back to plain ole conventional bombs dropped from a aircraft. Heck we could have even done more damage, dropping more ordinance, for less total out-of-pocket cost.

Come on Don, think about the income statement impacts. You need to up the ROE on this investment. Razz

When were they actually transferred to the military as an asset? Can that be amortized? Also, can we defray the cost a bit if we add advertising stickers?

"Bwando/Magpul/ART+15 Clothing PRESENTS, a Raytheon/GD Production...." etc.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to be the penny pincher here, but at ~$1M each, we spent around $60M today in Tomahawks on this little bitch slap of Assad. Can we please go back to plain ole conventional bombs dropped from a aircraft. Heck we could have even done more damage, dropping more ordinance, for less total out-of-pocket cost.

Come on Don, think about the income statement impacts. You need to up the ROE on this investment. Razz

Tomahawk missiles can range from 500K to 1.5 Mil per missile.

stockpiles as of 2016 ranged from 2500-3500 depending on where you get you info.

little info on the latest variety, and also scroll down and see little blurbs about contracts and development.

http://www.defenseindustrydail...ahawk-chopped-07423/

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Trump strikes Syria: Media 'collusion' story hardest hit!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
FOX News page has a pic of that nincompoop Harf with the headline "What comes next? Questions remain after airstrikes in Syria."

In the words of Chevy Chase..."Jane, you ignorant slut..."

You and your almighty grand pooh-bah of an ignorant president got us to this point. We're now starting to clean up your mess. STFU and just go back to whatever alternative universe is your happy place.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:

When were they actually transferred to the military as an asset? Can that be amortized? Also, can we defray the cost a bit if we add advertising stickers?

"Bwando/Magpul/ART+15 Clothing PRESENTS, a Raytheon/GD Production...." etc.

Creating jobs and rewarding investors!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Message sent. Cool

I hope the guys on the ship enjoyed doing what they were trained to do. Finally.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"I hope the guys on the ship enjoyed doing what they were trained to do"

The Commanding Officer of the Porter is a woman.

So "guys and gals"

Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
nothing prettier than a night launch of a Tomahawk

Daytime launches aren't bad either. Love them TLAM's Cool

Happy Trails Smile

Photo's I took while on board USS Princeton during Desert Storm.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I always imagine a tomahawk missile strike to look something like this:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/PWiU_HIZ4Jc

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It is extremely refreshing to see a Commander in Chief actually act like one. The tone when talking about Trump is respectful and even Rubio was defending it. The world now knows that the US is not a country to mess with again and it puts a huge smile on my face.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the cost comparison would be between the cruise missiles and a B52 strike launched from the US.

I think there was a little additional message in those missile strikes. Paying attention over there Mr. Kim Jong Idiot?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Tomahawks are like EDC ammo. It's good to shoot some off once in a while and keep the supply fresh. Big Grin

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
surprisingly a lot of dems at the "other teams" website agreed it should have been done, like awhile ago... Not in huge numbers but I was surprised.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Fox is reporting a Russian warship, frigate, I believe, passed through the Bosperus a few hours ago and is now heading to the area where the two destroyers are operating.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Vladimir Putin has today diverted a warship to protect the Syrian coast and vowed to bolster Bashar al-Assad's missile defences against further US strikes as fears grew the crisis could topple into war between Russia and the West.
The Russian President has immediately sent his Admiral Grigorovich frigate - armed with cruise missiles and a self-defence system - from the Black Sea to dock in Syria later.

It will pass through the east Mediterranean waters where the USS Ross and USS Porter fired the 59 Tomahawk missiles that pounded Assad's al-Shayrat military airfield near Homs in the early hours of Friday.

Putin today called it an 'illegal act of aggression' and also ripped up an agreement to avoid mid-air clashes between Russian and US fighter jets over Syria.

In the continuing fight back Russian or Syrian planes also bombed the town of Khan Sheikhoun, the scene of Tuesday's horrific chemical gas attack where 80 died, witnesses in the rebel-held area claimed.

The US was also branded 'a partner of ISIS' by al-Assad's spokesman, calling the missile strikes 'reckless and irresponsible' and accused Trump of 'naively falling' for a 'false propaganda campaign' about the Idlib Sarin massacre.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...a.html#ixzz4dZoZxiRQ

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 387 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Barn door/Horse, Vladimir.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Make no mistake. This type of action is the only thing Putin respects. He'll rattle a few sabers, but then what. He's going to attack the U.S.? Doubtful.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Putin is furious. He wants to know why the mythical collusion agreement wasn't honored.

His lawyers told him "Vlad, look on the last page in fine print. It says only valid if he wins California and New York"

just kidding