SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Muddled protest against Trump umm...backfires:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...flies-nazi-flag.html

Twits

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This story seems really odd

Minnesota went to Clinton by 44,000 votes

Clinton 1,366,676
Trump 1,322,891

Here is the odd part, in Presidential election years, MN has over 500,000 voters who register to vote on election day.

?? about 20% of the voters register on election day ?

And the MN "same day" registrants aren't checked against the verifying databases for months after the election.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/a...-carry-minnesota.php

Minnesota doesn’t have provisional voting. The votes of the 500,000 to 600,000 people who registered on election day have been counted.

I think there should be a cut off to when you can register to vote. Maybe a minimum of 30 to 60 days prior to election day.

adding:
I went the MN state voting site. For the 2012 election, there were 527,867 voters in MN who registered the day of the election

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ladies and gentlemen, as President Trump's first week in office draws to a close, I just had to say it's been a whirlwind of win, absolute win. Scott Adams' article is absolutely on point, I made the analogy a few days ago about a cat and a laser pointer and it's been echoed several times since here and elsewhere. I absolutely believe this is part of Trump's strategy: overwhelm the opposition with shock and awe, keep them outraged and off-balance. They won't be able to complain too loud, too hard, or too long about any one thing if the laser keeps dancing. What a flurry of activity! What, indeed, has any other president done in their first week in office that compares? What on Earth were they doing?

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Read somewhere that remittances from the US contributes to a significant cash influx to support the Mexican economy....

If the Mexican pres had any sense at all (not a safe bet), he would realize he just shot off his foot and crippled his horse. The Mexican economy wasn't all that great, and he just made sure it will get worse.

Based on everything Trump is saying, he has no way out. Manufacturing is leaving Mexico, and now the money that comes in is going to get tighter.

What choice does he have? He's in a no-win situation.

I might suggest he sit down with Trump, be open and honest about the economic challenges in Mexico, and together they explore a win-win solution. I think Trump would be agreeable, and probably quite creative in such a setting. The challenge would be for him (and his nation) to admit Mexico needs the US more than the US needs Mexico.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Ladies and gentlemen, as President Trump's first week in office draws to a close, I just had to say it's been a whirlwind of win, absolute win. Scott Adams' article is absolutely on point, I made the analogy a few days ago about a cat and a laser pointer and it's been echoed several times since here and elsewhere. I absolutely believe this is part of Trump's strategy: overwhelm the opposition with shock and awe, keep them outraged and off-balance. They won't be able to complain too loud, too hard, or too long about any one thing if the laser keeps dancing. What a flurry of activity! What, indeed, has any other president done in their first week in office that compares? What on Earth were they doing?

Being Presidential.

I should admit I like the Coolidge model, but Coolidge didn't have the goons in the media in league with the Dems actively trying to make him seem idiotic, as far as I know.

Coolidge also enjoyed a government that is unimaginably smaller in people and activities than we endure today, and no Twitter!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
"Mexico takes in about $2 billion a month in remittances."

That's good info.
Yes, a 7% tax probably would cover the cost of building the wall... and it would largely be paid by illegals.
Not nearly high enough given who is sending the money, and the fact they are inflicting other pain and costs on our system as well. I say jack up the tax to 50% and call it the 'Make America Safe Again' law.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
building the wall

It reminds me of a story related by Oleg Kalugin, longtime head of KGB operations in the United States. While at the Czech border, he had an epiphany. He thought that that border was designed to keep people in and not outsiders out. That's when he first had doubts about the system he was serving.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

I might suggest he sit down with Trump, be open and honest about the economic challenges in Mexico, and together they explore a win-win solution. I think Trump would be agreeable, and probably quite creative in such a setting. The challenge would be for him (and his nation) to admit Mexico needs the US more than the US needs Mexico.

Won't happen. Mexico will *demand* to be treated as an "equal." They won't be willing to admit how much they need the cash provided by all the illegals here. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://time.com/4652010/presid...na-nieto-phone-call/

President Donald Trump and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto spoke for an hour by phone Friday amid rising tensions over the U.S. leader's plans for a southern border wall, administration officials said.

Trump and Pena Nieto had been expected to meet in Washington next week, but the Mexican president abruptly canceled his visit on Thursday.

During the conversation, the two leaders agreed to keep their future conversations about funding for the wall out of the public venue.

"With respect to payment for the border wall, both presidents recognize their clear and very public differences of positions on this issue but have agreed to work these differences out as part of a comprehensive discussion on all aspects of the bilateral relationship," the White House released in a joint statement.

"Both presidents have instructed their teams to continue the dialogue to strengthen this important strategic and economic relationship in a constructive way."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/k...witter-wars-n2277719

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
the two leaders agreed to keep their future conversations about funding for the wall out of the public venue.

Sounds as if Mexico is caving and Trump has agreed not to publicly humiliate them.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Two more Executive Orders just signed. De-pussification of the United States. It's been a great week!

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Just watched the (second) swearing in of General Mattis. Watched the first one Inauguration night. Dam it still chokes me up. To know that a man of that caliber is running our armed forces is just awesome.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Read somewhere that remittances from the US contributes to a significant cash influx to support the Mexican economy.. I'd imagine that most of these remittances go thru services like Western Union, PayPal, etc. What if Trump taxes that? Would that be legal, especially since most of that money wasn't taxed as income anyway so it wouldn't be considered as double taxed? Though issues would exist for how the senders can prove that he paid income tax on those money already.

That definitely can pay for the wall.

Big Grin Big Grin Looks like you haven't been to the Post Office on Saturday morning and waited in line for your money order to send back home?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
"Mexico takes in about $2 billion a month in remittances."

That's good info.
Yes, a 7% tax probably would cover the cost of building the wall... and it would largely be paid by illegals.
Not nearly high enough given who is sending the money, and the fact they are inflicting other pain and costs on our system as well. I say jack up the tax to 50% and call it the 'Make America Safe Again' law.

Is the object to pay for the wall?

I think the tax would have maximum compliance at around 7% (which is similar to what most pay in sales tax) and therefore wouldn't kill services like Western Union which are currently not taxed at all on foreign remittances.
Also, keep in mind that not everyone who makes foreign remittances is an illegal alien.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The funds for The Wall were appropriated by Congress years ago and sitting around untapped waiting to be spent on a wall.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
Two more Executive Orders just signed. De-pussification of the United States. It's been a great week!

1 down, 207 to go!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
The funds for The Wall were appropriated by Congress years ago and sitting around untapped waiting to be spent on a wall.

But hey, Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Build the wall now, the money is there.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I seriously doubt that those funds were "untapped" and that they still are intact.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Report This Post