SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I wonder if McConnell, Ryan and the rest of the Republicans in Congress understand the concept of "warning shot?"

I agree! If he can't get the full cooperation of the Republican Party, just co-opt enough Democrats to make a deal and get something done. That's leverage in negotiations, and marginalizes turncoats like John McCain. Trump knows America wants action and he is going to get Congress to act one way or another.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they have no concept of a warning shot - none of them died...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
they have no concept of a warning shot - none of them died...

Not yet. The elections are coming up and a number of them are on life support. It's amazing what self preservation can do for changing ones mind set.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i am very disappointed in the gop they're all a bunch of pussys

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Could the Prez be going along with the Dems now as part of a deal related to funding for The Wall later?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The Republican (leadership) are so weak and ineffective that the POTUS has to deal with the Dem leaders to get things done.

Trump is a practical man, and he gets things done.

They all have to start working together to get things done.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Could the Prez be going along with the Dems now as part of a deal related to funding for The Wall later?

Like I said: Warning shot across the bow: "Get your stuff together and get things done or I'll get to work with those who can."

It's a worrying development, but not near so worrying as the GOP failing to get the message will be.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As we have discussed in the past, Trump is not particularly ideologically driven. This will eventually result in great unhappiness amongst conservative purists especially.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Congress, and in particular McConnell and Ryan, have this ability to accomplish nothing while mouthing to us they're working hard. Trump knows they won't get anything done if he leaves it up to them to push his legislation through.

There are only 13 calendered working days for congress this month and he wanted to take away their ability to avoid dealing with his other legislation such as tax reform. Smart move on his part. Now they have time to work on tax reform, DACA and healthcare.

The Democrats wanted only a 3 month CR and he gave it to them. Now he'll come back to them and expect a concession on their part for something he wants. It might be DACA kids stay and in exchange they find the border wall.

It was an easy move for Trump to make and it was indeed a warning shot to the Republicans. He also set up the Democrats up for future concessions. Savvy move. Today he moved a pawn around the board.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

The Democrats wanted only a 3 month CR and he gave it to them. Now he'll come back to them and expect a concession on their part for something he wants. It might be DACA kids stay and in exchange they find the border wall.

It was an easy move for Trump to make and it was indeed a warning shot to the Republicans. He also set up the Democrats up for future concessions. Savvy move. Today he moved a pawn around the board.

Uh huh. Cause I'm sure the democrats will reciprocate. Yeah right. Democrats giving meaningful concessions...that's a hoot.

President Trump will get nothing from the democrats, at least nothing that conservatives will like.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The GOP does not play well, either with the president, the democrats or their own party. They do not band together like the democrats so their efforts come up lacking, ineffective leadership contributes to the problems.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Report This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
What DJT did was remove the opportunity for the never trumper GOP's to embroil the President in a shutdown that would only be used to hurt him. He knows he has party leaders that are out to hurt him as much as the dims and he has to play them as much as he does the dims. Trump's got good instincts, smarts and guts and my money is on him to beat them all at their game.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Yep...President Trump is smart like a fox...just check the color of his hair for a comparison. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
The Republican (leadership) are so weak and ineffective that the POTUS has to deal with the Dem leaders to get things done.

There's a reason why the country continuously moves to the left... it's easier.

George W. Bush had a few good, conservative ideas.... but he didn't get them accomplished.
He wanted to (partially) privatize SS, but the GOP wouldn't do it.
What did he accomplish?
Medicare expansion?
Why? Because the Democrats are always willing to "get things done" as long as it pushes the country to the left.

Trump ran against DACA, Obama's "executive amnesty".... but he won't get rid of it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They're unconcerned with "warning shots" because they are utterly unafraid and face nearly zero chance of repercussions ranging from losing their seat to conviction of actual crimes. They've been taught by the best (worst), and shown how the game really works for most of the clever cocksuckers who make it that far.

The power of incumbency and otherwise entrenched members of Congress is generally too vast, and all but untouchable, short of Anthony Wiener antics or pissing off their gravy train / lobbyists or the rare Trump type. For nearly every case of "he/she better watch out before we vote them out" - it is cancelled out by "but he/she is the best choice we have (see: Ryan, McCain, etc)".

We have allowed Congress to become a lifestyle choice, rather than a temporary service post, and though Trump represents a chance to turn things around, we've barely dipped our toes in the water of meaningful reform and swamp draining with no end in sight. Thank goodness President Trump and his administration are hacking away at it, we at least got a SCOTUS seat out of it, the beginnings of Deregulation, and other small victories.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
During a 60 Minutes Charlie Rose interview, Steve Bannon finally reveals why Chris Christie was dropped from consideration for a cabinet position. His silence during one of the most critical times of the campaign did him in.

"New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie missed out on a possible post in President Donald Trump’s cabinet because he wasn’t sufficiently loyal during one of the more scandalous moments of the 2016 campaign.

The leaked audio of then-candidate Trump talking about groping women with former “Access Hollywood” host Billy Bush, released last October, was used as a “litmus test” for loyalty, Steve Bannon, the former Trump campaign CEO and White House adviser who now leads Breitbart News again, told Charlie Rose in a special “60 Minutes” interview.

“Billy Bush Saturday showed me who really had Donald Trump’s back to play to his better angels,” Bannon said...

...“Boy, you took names on Billy Bush Sunday, didn’t you?” Rose said.

“I did,” Bannon said. “You know, I’m Irish. I gotta get my black book and I got ’em. … Christie, because of Billy Bush weekend … was not looked at for a Cabinet position.”

“He wasn’t there for you on Billy Bush weekend so therefore he doesn’t get a Cabinet position?” Rose asked.

“I told him, ‘The plane leaves at 11 o’clock in the morning. If you’re on the plane, you’re on the team,'” Bannon said he told Christie.”

Christie “Didn’t make the plane,” Bannon concluded."

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09...-hollywood-comments/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

There's a reason why the country continuously moves to the left... it's easier.

One reason it is easier is that to a far, far greater extent, the right spends far more energy fighting each other.

Look at the present mess that is the House of Representatives. No half loaves for some of those guys! It's their way or the highway. It is more like one of those coalition governments in countries where there are dozens of parties, and the biggest party forms a coaltion with several smaller ones to obtain a majority.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The power of incumbency and otherwise entrenched members of Congress is generally too vast, and all but untouchable, short of Anthony Wiener antics or pissing off their gravy train / lobbyists or the rare Trump type. For nearly every case of "he/she better watch out before we vote them out" - it is cancelled out by "but he/she is the best choice we have (see: Ryan, McCain, etc)".

There is a 98% incumbency re-election rate. It is virtually impossible to get rid of them once in.

Yet still, many, including some members here are against term-limits. It boggles the mind.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

There is a 98% incumbency re-election rate. It is virtually impossible to get rid of them once in.

Yet still, many, including some members here are against term-limits. It boggles the mind.

Sometimes the "cure" is worse than the disease.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I would submit that the 22nd Amendment "cure" was far better than the disease.

If it is good enough for the presidency it is certainly good enough for Congress.

Six terms in the House and two terms in the Senate. You're done. Get a real job.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post