SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The enemies of the US are RITs, including Iranians, the NorKos of course, and world wide communism.

The US can handle shooting wars, violent warfare. There is plenty of power and authority to take care of that.

What we don't have is power against the malevolent media, which is in cahoots with worldwide communism. "Congress shall make no law...." and all that.

It may be that Bannon is being outfitted for the start of that role. Fox News has gotten wobbly in the last year. Anybody who gets too prominent gets outed as a perv.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

You may have something. We won the Cold War of ideas, but that was when the media was at least somewhat supportive or at least less ideologically doctrinaire.

Unfortunately the left controls much of the technology companies that provide the medium for the new media. And they are starting to flex their muscles.

Perhaps we need a Fairness Doctrine for Information Chokepoints like Google/Facebook/Etc. Or just break their monopoly asses up.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
I am increasingly in fsvor of breaking up the tech giants and treating them like utilities. They control so much of the flow of information these days it's terrifying what they can do.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
"Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge in a trial of a thousand years. At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer. If it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us; it cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
Address to the Young Men's Lyceum
Springfield, Illinois
January 27, 1838

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, really, don't resign, lady. Matter of fact, I hope you barricade yourself in your office. I want to see police officers forcibly remove you from the building. It would be great to hear that you've resigned, but oh so much sweeter to see you kicked out.

No, she will not go quietly into that good night, she will not resign.

http://www.kansascity.com/news...rticle167954397.html

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
The enemies of the US are RITs, including Iranians, the NorKos of course, and world wide communism.

The US can handle shooting wars, violent warfare. There is plenty of power and authority to take care of that.

What we don't have is power against the malevolent media, which is in cahoots with worldwide communism. "Congress shall make no law...." and all that.

The enemies to me are cultural, educational and moral rot. None of this crap would get traction without it.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Steve Bannon gleefully suggested Democrats are falling into a trap.

“I want them to talk about racism every day,”

“If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sorry, JAllen, "RITS"?

Best potential link to meaning I found was Slovenian:

quote:
Slovene Edit

Etymology Edit
From Proto-Slavic *ritь.

Pronunciation Edit
IPA(key): /ˈrít/
Tonal orthography: rȉt
Noun Edit
rìt f (genitive ríti, nominative plural ríti)

(vulgar) ass (buttocks); asshole (anus)
Declension Edit

Perhaps you're even more erudite than I thought. Big Grin

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Sorry, JAllen, "RITS"?. . .

RIT = Radical Islamic Terrorist

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Stop with the distractions already... Bannon, Mattis, Kelly, etc etc etc..

Do what I voted for you to do, and screw the media.

Replace the "Affordable Care Act" with something that is actually "affordable" or "care," Reform the tax code to the people like me don't keep getting screwed, get rid of the career politicians/bureaucrats, bring the US Military up to speed back to the point that any other tin pot dictator like Kim Jong Il won't dare even look in our direction, and get our economy booming again...

Find good, necessary infrastructure projects as opposed to pork barrel jobs to please the "good
"ole boys" club, or bought nad paid for bullshit... Lower taxes and bring corporations back to the US that create jobs. Stem illegal immigration and make it both possible and an honorable thing for legal immigrants, who want to become American citizens, to come to this great country and help out in keeping up with this wonderful thing we have built.

Stop the criminals, and let LE deal with them in the manner they need to be dealt with. Use our brave men and women in our armed forces to deal with terrorist assholes with a swift and decisive strike, and after that, let them do their jobs and "mop up."

Be the President we elected who gives a shit about Americans... and Americans only.

That is what I care about.... and why I voted for him.

These policy distractions, or simple staff distractions that the media loves to make a "huge" deal are just that, distractions.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Seeking Greatness

In the midst of all the political intrigue that lurches our country toward unrest and civil war, as some now claim, is a lost historical truth about how social reform and shared values give us a national core for greatness.

The civil war was about sectionalism, economics, slavery, self-determination and social reform. Unfortunately, our children are being brainwashed by failing to teach the values of capitalism, self motivation, patriotism and the good wrought by our grand experiment. You would think that the only legacy of our country is racism and bigotry if following the press, the left and much of academia.

Is it possible to have a revival of patriotic values and the basic values of telling the truth and fair play? Our history says “yes.” But how have we achieved that in the past?

National tragedy and national awakenings have changed society and, as a result, what is possible in very short time. Whether by a revival of patriotism after 9-11, WWI or WWII or great spiritual awakenings that swept through our country, we have re-centered at times, finding ourselves heading in a better, more cohesive direction.

In the First and Second Great Awakenings that wild-fired through our country, society changed because individuals changed. Not content with debauchery and waste, bars closed, bordellos closed and individuals sought more productive lives that mere self-gratification could not provide. The electorate also sought better representatives who had moral as well as political abilities while looking to build a legacy for future generations. I do not see so much of this attitude in today’s politics.

Our times need someone like President Trump because instead of the niceties of polite society, we are in a desperate phase. Like seeing a man hosing down the inside of his home’s front room, President Trump is called to put out the fire of what we were/are becoming.

Now-a-days, God is replaced with Gaia, Climate Change and odd worship fetishes by citizens seeking meaning as philosophical substitutes for spiritual longings. Maybe today the new generations are too cynical for spiritual revival but it may not be so far-fetched as disgust results from the sniping, lying and anarchism of many unfulfilling current philosophies. Deep down, most people do not want to live like this.

That’s why people continue to support President Trump as the axe-wielding fireman of our time. He is not pretty in his language and manners but he does seem earnest and that means something. It is hard for me to conceive of myself supporting someone like President Trump because of his behavior and manner but support him I do. He’s a bull alright but he seems to want to break all the right dishes. Unfortunately, he breaks some good ones too. Yet, I find myself supporting him because he seems to have the right goals in mind albeit in an often clumsy but genuine way. I think he does want good for all the people of the United States.

Now, there are those who do not believe in religion or God. But, most people at least acknowledge having a longing to be part of something good and productive to add meaning to their lives. I suppose protesting and group think whether by media or average people gives some sense of purpose, but on the left, there can be no fulfillment in just making a miserable, and poor country out of a colossus such as ours. Average people see this. Just sidle up to the latest speech codes in some states that will fine you or imprison you for picking the wrong pronoun in a sentence for a taste of where the left leads. Join, Rah-Rah and push such things but pronouns do not make a country great. Average people see this.

The real bread and butter of a country’s greatness is bread and butter. Giving people lives of promise by setting their imaginations, motivations and efforts free to create a better economic and spiritual life has been the life-blood of America. The left wants to program people’s acceptable thoughts through the media, education and coercion but people like President Trump want to set people and the economy free to grow potential.

Whether a particular one believes in spiritual things, studies have shown that most do in one form or another. Regardless, whether it may be patriotism or freedom or spirituality that animates ones life, a revival of such things is not to be found on the left. Maybe that is why President Trump’s evangelical support is staying right with him. They know the climate he wishes to foster – and has.

Reclaiming education and seeing individuals commit to something greater may be an underlying longing in the human condition. But, I always remember a Brookings Institute study from the 80s that concluded that every country who has lost its religious cohesiveness failed shortly thereafter. I am not sure it has to be a particular religion but it seems that shared values must come from somewhere and the multiculturalism that denigrates a shared value system destroys an indispensable support for our survival.

It seems to me that President Trump is calling Americans to patriotism, economic growth, and spiritual respect as keys to what we must share as a people.

Maybe that’s what we who are interested in a great America should foster in our homes, schools and communities as a concrete way to shore up the greatness our president wants to help us achieve.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
quote:

The enemies to me are cultural, educational and moral rot. None of this crap would get traction without it.

I'm attempting to develop my idea of an enemy that is tangible, a group, etc. There is no doubt that this "rot" you refer to is a big part of the enemy effectiveness, if only to neutralize what would otherwise serve as defenses.

It's complicated. Humans have evolved through several eras. Sometimes you see them as "ages," stone Age, bronze age, iron age, etc.

There are the Dark Ages, the Middle Ages, and the Modern Age, oddly enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_Man has some interesting materials. Apparently this thought line has been going on for a long time. Hesiod, a Greek poet, had 5 "ages" the last one being the Iron Age which he describes:

quote:
During this age humans live an existence of toil and misery. Children dishonor their parents, brother fights with brother and the social contract between guest and host (xenia) is forgotten. During this age might makes right, and bad men use lies to be thought good. At the height of this age, humans no longer feel shame or indignation at wrongdoing; babies will be born with gray hair and the gods will have completely forsaken humanity: "there will be no help against evil."

A few hundred years later, Ovid describes the Iron Age as a time when

quote:
men demarcate nations with boundaries; they learn the arts of navigation and mining; they are warlike, greedy and impious. Truth, modesty and loyalty are nowhere to be found.

Now, apparently we are thought to be in the post modern era. You can jump into the weeds of this stuff.

quote:
Postmodernism describes a broad movement that developed in the mid- to late 20th century across philosophy, the arts, architecture and criticism which marked a departure from modernism.[1][2][3] While encompassing a broad range of ideas, postmodernism is typically defined by an attitude of skepticism, irony or rejection toward grand narratives, ideologies and various tenets of universalism, including objective notions of reason, human nature, social progress, moral universalism, absolute truth, and objective reality.[4] Instead, it asserts to varying degrees that claims to knowledge and truth are products of social, historical or political discourses or interpretations, and are therefore contextual or socially constructed. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, irreverence and self-referentiality.[4]

Apparently it comes back around to Hesiod ~2500 years ago, quoted above! Moral relativism, yikes!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
With Bannon now back at Breitbart, I just bought the Breitbart News app for my iPhone. The "Pro" version for 99¢. There's a free version too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I went out to do a bid today at a jobsite as I was walking up to the residence I notice some hand made decals in the back window of their prius that said kkk Thanks Trump and a few other trump hate stickers,
I just turned around got back in my truck and left. the builder called a few minutes later wondering where I was I told him he needed to find some one else as I had no interest in working for the haters , he said I should learn how to talk Russian. Idiot !

This is a tale with two sides. One obviously is good for you for staying by your principles even if it hurts. Second, oh the hell with it, there is no second.

God bless you and God bless America. We shall prevail.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Good read on why Democrats cannot count Trump out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/1...gain-commentary.html

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Krauthammer: The White House Civil War Is Not Over
Charles Krauthammer on Special Report.

Appearing on Fox News’ Special Report on Friday, Charles Krauthammer offered a brutally honest take on what he believes is going to happen following the resignation of Steve Bannon:

Look, what happened today is that the civil war moved from inside the White House to outside the White House – but the war continues. Bannon is very clearly going after the same list of people he found were undermining the president that he talked about in that interview.

He's gonna go after them from the Breitbart platform or any other. He's gonna go after all the softies, as he sees it, on policy, and this is gonna be really a bloody affair. I think he's been immensely strengthened. I mean, who heard of Bannon a year ago? Everybody's heard of Bannon now, and I think the meeting with the Mercer's was very significant.

He's got, you know, billions of dollars behind him, the platform, the machinery of Breitbart under him, and he's got a clear free fire zone. He's not held back anymore. This, I mean, for Trump, it was quite a risk, which is, I think, why it took him so long to get rid of Bannon. It was a double-edged sword, and he's now gonna have to face one of those edges.

The pertinent portion begins at the 7:10 mark, but the entire segment is worth watching:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24067 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

And the left and the RINOS's are scared....just the way I like it.

Retreat hell, we got them right where we want them Smile

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Bannon says that the Trump presidency that we all fought for is over. He says with his departure, Bannon’s perception of the movement that apparently only he holds together is gone. Is that correct?

I didn’t vote for Bannon. I didn’t see Bannon as my president or the puppeteer of what President Trump believes. President Trump was quite distinct and has had his political views for decades. Bannon did not give President Trump his values and his basic plan of what he wants to accomplish.

What Bannon, Preibus and the early team helped deliver has been very good but it utterly failed to deliver key legislative accomplishments for the Trump agenda – our agenda. If that failure is gone, good riddance.

President Trump has made no secret about the fact that he will compromise to take part of what he wants out of a deal. But, failure to accomplish anything on many significant agenda items is not in President Trump’s DNA. We have seen many outstanding and very conservative policies emerge from this administration. But, will we see more?

The House and Senate majorities have not helped on healthcare, taxes and the wall. Maybe the establishment will continue to stall things. In that case, it would not surprise me to see President Trump revise his coalition efforts to compromise with Democrats to see more things accomplished.

At this point, McCain seems like an old guy with an axe to grind against the president. It seems as though the Republican obstructers have found their voice and coalition to thwart an effective use Republican majorities. But, the president hasn’t found his way to key legislative success.

Bannon was not likely to reach out for some new legislative coalition because he would see that as retreating from Bannon’s vision for the country. President Trump is not as likely to stay an unsuccessful course. The president will more likely find advisors and approaches that will help him achieve some measured success for the people. Continued gridlock will not advance his and our legislative agenda at all.

Maybe President Trump will find someone to help him craft legislation to make the “majorities” approach more successful but those who have now gone did not get things over the finish line. In this I think Bannon is correct - Bannon’s vision of what HE wants is gone. Surprisingly, I don’t care.

Bannon’s recent leaks/conversations about North Korea and other matters are shock revelations about Bannon’s thoughts over what the president is negotiating in his public statements. Bannon needed to go.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Charles has been wetting himself over Trump for months, all the media has.

The media and others will not like this.
It is not the narrative they want:

Bannon says he will go to war for Trump

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...ng-to-war-for-trump/

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
President Donald Trump tweeted out support for his now former Chief Strategist Stephen K. Bannon on Saturday and for Bannon’s return to Breitbart News.

“Steve Bannon will be a tough and smart new voice at @BreitbartNews,” wrote Trump. “... maybe even better than ever before. Fake News needs the competition!”

The tweet came just one day after Bannon officially left his position at the White House and returned to his position as Executive Chairman of Breitbart News.

Trump has long called out false and biased reporting in news outlets that he has called, “fake news.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...s-needs-competition/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24067 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Bannon has said he is "100% for Trump". That may be an outright lie, or he may mean it now but break his word down the road. These things are certainly possible.

However, if he does go back on his word, he'll never hear the end of it. I'd like to think that this is a calculated move by Donald Trump, something that was thought up between him and Bannon and that Steve Bannon keeps his word, supports the President in the ways he can, and lays waste to Donald Trump's political enemies.

All this crap about how the WH is in turmoil- sure, whatever. Just keep saying it if you think saying it will make it come true.

We will have two full terms of a Trump Presidency. Anyone who thinks otherwise- whether or not they want such a thing to come to pass- is fooling themselves and wasting their time hoping for it or worrying about it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post