SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
an unfortunate situation, but very understandable

In a NYT interview w President Trump, he said that if he had known Jeff Sessions was going to recuse himself from the Russia issue, President Trump would never have picked Jeff Sessions for the AG position.

I agree w President Trump on this. I was stunned when AG Sessions recused himself for the most ridiculous of reasons. I really like Jeff Sessions but that was a big mistake. A colossal mistake.

http://www.breitbart.com/video...f-from-russia-probe/

What I don't understand is why the two never discussed this? Or did they?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hillary LOST!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's been a great day so far! Wooooooooo

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

In a NYT interview w President Trump, he said that if he had known Jeff Sessions was going to recuse himself from the Russia issue, President Trump would never have picked Jeff Sessions for the AG position.

I agree w President Trump on this. I was stunned when AG Sessions recused himself for the most ridiculous of reasons. I really like Jeff Sessions but that was a big mistake. A colossal mistake.

What was the "most ridiculous of reasons?"

Sessions was active in the campaign, among Trump's earliest supporters. We don't know the extent of his role, at least I don't. Assuming it was more than just a few public appearances on the stump, he would be considered more than a mere partisan. The trouble is that Attorney General is one of the most critical offices requiring a considerable level of confidence, trust, loyalty, to a point. Kennedy went so far as to appoint his brother. Nixon chose his campaign manager. Looked how that worked out!

This is the trouble with being hamstrung by integrity. You end up wanting to do the right thing even when you might get away with corner cutting, emphasizing appearances over substance and other foolishness.

I can't imagine Eric Holder doing any such thing, but we criticize him enthusiastically as lacking integrity.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

An analysis from the anti-Trump National Review:

Attorney General Sessions’s Recusal Was Unnecessary</a>

The regulation he cited applies to a different type of investigation. I have argued that Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s recusal from the so-called Russia investigation was a mistake. The attorney general’s testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday afternoon bolstered this conclusion. Sessions says that he recused himself, on the advice of career ethics experts at the Justice Department, because he thought this was required by the federal regulation controlling “Disqualification arising from personal or political relationship” (28 CFR Sec. 45.2).

But judging from the public testimony that former FBI director James Comey has given about the investigation into Russia’s election-meddling, the regulation did not mandate recusal. Section 45.2 states that an official is disqualified from “a criminal investigation or prosecution” if he has a personal or political relationship with a “subject of the investigation or prosecution,” or with a person or organization whose interests would be affected by the outcome “of the investigation or prosecution.” (Emphasis added.)

The probe of Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential campaign is not a criminal investigation or prosecution. Moreover, when the reg speaks of the “subject of the investigation or prosecution,” it is using “subject” as a criminal-law term of art. A “subject” is a person or entity whose actions are being examined by a grand jury with an eye toward a possible indictment. There are no “subjects” in that sense in a counterintelligence investigation because the objective is not to build a criminal case and there is no grand jury.

Just last week, in his written and oral testimony, former FBI director James Comey reiterated that the Russia probe is a counterintelligence investigation. As Comey elaborated, a counterintelligence investigation is an effort “to understand the technical and human methods that hostile foreign powers are using to influence the United States or to steal our secrets,” in order to “disrupt” those activities. Again, the point is to gather intelligence about a foreign power, not investigate with an eye toward a prosecution of criminal suspects.

This is consistent with the testimony then-director Comey provided to the House Intelligence Committee on March 20:

I have been authorized by the Department of Justice to confirm that the FBI, as part of our counterintelligence mission, is investigating the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election and that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia’s efforts.

Comey added, “As with any counterintelligence investigation, this will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed.” This is true, but it is more incidental than Comey suggests. All it means is that if, in the course of conducting a counterintelligence investigation, FBI agents discover that a crime has been committed, they are not required to ignore the crime just because it is not what they were looking for in the first place.

This commonsense principle is similar to the one holding that if agents are executing a search warrant that authorizes them to look for crime A (say, guns with obliterated serial numbers), and in the course of carrying out the lawful search they find evidence of crime B (say, bags of heroin), they are not required to ignore crime B just because it’s not the one they were investigating.

It is thus easy to see how recusal is supposed to work. Presumptively, an attorney general should not have to recuse himself from a counterintelligence investigation. After all, counterintelligence is not lawyer work; it is about gathering and evaluating intelligence — that’s the FBI’s expertise, not the prosecutors’. Thus, counterintelligence investigations ordinarily do not have a prosecutor assigned. A comparison may be helpful: Prosecutors are central to criminal investigations. They run the show once the investigative phase passes into the charging and prosecution phase. In stark contrast, government lawyers are, at most, ancillary to counterintelligence efforts.

They are usually non-participants. Their help is necessary if the agents need to seek a surveillance warrant from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (the FISA court); but even when that happens, the agents do all the surveillance and analysis. There could be exceptions in which a presumption against recusal is overcome. Let’s say X, who is a close friend of the attorney general’s, is suspected by the FBI of acting as an agent for China. The FBI goes to the Justice Department’s National Security Division (NSD) because the bureau wants to get a warrant from the FISA Court to intercept X’s e-mails. The NSD, of course, answers to the attorney general.

In such a case, to avoid the appearance of impropriety, it would be prudent for the attorney general to recuse himself from any involvement in the FISA surveillance — even though FISA surveillance is done in a counterintelligence investigation, so there is no criminal investigation or prosecution. But barring that highly unusual situation, counterintelligence investigations should not trigger disqualification or recusal of an attorney general unless and until the investigation turns up incriminating evidence that could form the basis for a criminal investigation — and a possible prosecution. If that happens, the attorney general (or any other Justice Department official in a recusal situation) not only should but must apply the disqualification rule, and should recuse himself if the criminal investigation involves the kind of conflict of interest — based on a personal or political relationship — set forth in the regulation. Based on what has been reported, the Russia investigation has turned up potentially incriminating evidence involving Michael Flynn, President Trump’s original national-security adviser.

There is apparently a federal grand jury considering relevant evidence in Virginia. Applying what I have outlined above, Attorney General Sessions would certainly have had to recuse himself from the criminal investigation of Flynn, with whom he had a political relationship in the Trump campaign and the formation of Trump’s administration. Nonetheless, it was unnecessary for Sessions to recuse himself from the broader counterintelligence investigation.

It is not a criminal inquiry, and Regulation 45.2 explicitly applies only to criminal investigation or prosecution.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Sessions recused himself in an attempt to appease the democrats. This was straight out of the democratic playbook. Unfortunately there is NO appeasing them so any attempt to is pure folly. The republicans need to quit bringing a knife to a gun fight if they want to actually govern, like you know passing meaningful legislation and filling cabinet and judicial posts before Trump's first term is up.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Imagine our government today without Donald Trump at the helm.

To paraphrase something said by the character Taylor in the series Billions:

"I embrace my nightmares, for they show me how awesome my reality actually is."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
quote:

An analysis from the anti-Trump National Review:

Attorney General Sessions’s Recusal Was Unnecessary</a>

The regulation he cited applies to a different type of investigation. I have argued that Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s recusal from the so-called Russia investigation was a mistake. The attorney general’s testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday afternoon bolstered this conclusion. Sessions says that he recused himself, on the advice of career ethics experts at the Justice Department, because he thought this was required by the federal regulation controlling “Disqualification arising from personal or political relationship” (28 CFR Sec. 45.2).

But judging from the public testimony that former FBI director James Comey has given about the investigation into Russia’s election-meddling, the regulation did not mandate recusal. Section 45.2 states that an official is disqualified from “a criminal investigation or prosecution” if he has a personal or political relationship with a “subject of the investigation or prosecution,” or with a person or organization whose interests would be affected by the outcome “of the investigation or prosecution.” (Emphasis added.)

The probe of Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential campaign is not a criminal investigation or prosecution. Moreover, when the reg speaks of the “subject of the investigation or prosecution,” it is using “subject” as a criminal-law term of art. A “subject” is a person or entity whose actions are being examined by a grand jury with an eye toward a possible indictment. There are no “subjects” in that sense in a counterintelligence investigation because the objective is not to build a criminal case and there is no grand jury.

Just last week, in his written and oral testimony, former FBI director James Comey reiterated that the Russia probe is a counterintelligence investigation. As Comey elaborated, a counterintelligence investigation is an effort “to understand the technical and human methods that hostile foreign powers are using to influence the United States or to steal our secrets,” in order to “disrupt” those activities. Again, the point is to gather intelligence about a foreign power, not investigate with an eye toward a prosecution of criminal suspects.

This is consistent with the testimony then-director Comey provided to the House Intelligence Committee on March 20:

I have been authorized by the Department of Justice to confirm that the FBI, as part of our counterintelligence mission, is investigating the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election and that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia’s efforts.

Comey added, “As with any counterintelligence investigation, this will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed.” This is true, but it is more incidental than Comey suggests. All it means is that if, in the course of conducting a counterintelligence investigation, FBI agents discover that a crime has been committed, they are not required to ignore the crime just because it is not what they were looking for in the first place.

This commonsense principle is similar to the one holding that if agents are executing a search warrant that authorizes them to look for crime A (say, guns with obliterated serial numbers), and in the course of carrying out the lawful search they find evidence of crime B (say, bags of heroin), they are not required to ignore crime B just because it’s not the one they were investigating.

It is thus easy to see how recusal is supposed to work. Presumptively, an attorney general should not have to recuse himself from a counterintelligence investigation. After all, counterintelligence is not lawyer work; it is about gathering and evaluating intelligence — that’s the FBI’s expertise, not the prosecutors’. Thus, counterintelligence investigations ordinarily do not have a prosecutor assigned. A comparison may be helpful: Prosecutors are central to criminal investigations. They run the show once the investigative phase passes into the charging and prosecution phase. In stark contrast, government lawyers are, at most, ancillary to counterintelligence efforts.

They are usually non-participants. Their help is necessary if the agents need to seek a surveillance warrant from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (the FISA court); but even when that happens, the agents do all the surveillance and analysis. There could be exceptions in which a presumption against recusal is overcome. Let’s say X, who is a close friend of the attorney general’s, is suspected by the FBI of acting as an agent for China. The FBI goes to the Justice Department’s National Security Division (NSD) because the bureau wants to get a warrant from the FISA Court to intercept X’s e-mails. The NSD, of course, answers to the attorney general.

In such a case, to avoid the appearance of impropriety, it would be prudent for the attorney general to recuse himself from any involvement in the FISA surveillance — even though FISA surveillance is done in a counterintelligence investigation, so there is no criminal investigation or prosecution. But barring that highly unusual situation, counterintelligence investigations should not trigger disqualification or recusal of an attorney general unless and until the investigation turns up incriminating evidence that could form the basis for a criminal investigation — and a possible prosecution. If that happens, the attorney general (or any other Justice Department official in a recusal situation) not only should but must apply the disqualification rule, and should recuse himself if the criminal investigation involves the kind of conflict of interest — based on a personal or political relationship — set forth in the regulation. Based on what has been reported, the Russia investigation has turned up potentially incriminating evidence involving Michael Flynn, President Trump’s original national-security adviser.

There is apparently a federal grand jury considering relevant evidence in Virginia. Applying what I have outlined above, Attorney General Sessions would certainly have had to recuse himself from the criminal investigation of Flynn, with whom he had a political relationship in the Trump campaign and the formation of Trump’s administration. Nonetheless, it was unnecessary for Sessions to recuse himself from the broader counterintelligence investigation.

It is not a criminal inquiry, and Regulation 45.2 explicitly applies only to criminal investigation or prosecution.

McCarthy disagrees with career ethics counsel in DOJ. Who are you going to believe?

I don't think that I have ever realized before now that integrity had loopholes.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
McCarthy disagrees with career ethics counsel in DOJ. Who are you going to believe?

I don't think that I have ever realized before now that integrity had loopholes.

McCarthy was a US Attorney for many years and prosecuted some high profile cases, as well as being a professor of law at Fordham and the New York School of Law. He makes a pretty sound argument that the law does not apply - how is that a loophole?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

McCarthy was a US Attorney for many years and prosecuted some high profile cases, as well as being a professor of law at Fordham and the New York School of Law. He makes a pretty sound argument that the law does not apply - how is that a loophole?

Laws have loopholes. One man's exception is another man's loophole.

Integrity, and its appearance, usually does not.

I know who Andrew McCarthy is, and respect his experience and views. I spend a good part of my professional life in arguments between experienced, knowledgable counsel, each of which have significant, pertinent merit. Sometimes, you have to chose between those.

Look at it another way. What does Sessions bring to the investigation that Rosenstein does not?

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The democrats insistence on Sessions recusal was NEVER about integrity, it was purely politics. And he played right into their hands.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
President Trump in the interview said that AG Sessions did not discuss his recusal w him before hand.

I still have great respect for Jeff Sessions, but I have no doubt he made a stupid mistake.

I watched hours and hours of the confirmation hearings. You would be pretty dense if you couldn't figure out that the DEMs were taking every dirty cheap shot, fabrication, and gross exaggeration to paint the nominees in the worst possible light.

AG Sessions answered a question from one of the biggest assholes in the Senate (Al Franken) about meetings w the Russians. Sessions said he did not meet w them in the context of Franken's question. Later it was "revealed" that Sessions had met in December w the Russian ambassador as a standard part of his senate position activity.

Sessions did what he thought was "honorable". This administration is in a knife fight not a game of chess. He has to be tough enough to fight and win. I hope he learned a hard lesson. He could be a great AG.

It is becoming increasingly of concern that Mueller is putting together a team of hard core DEM prosecutors. Turn a dozen of them loose and they will come up w all kinds of BS to argue about for months if not years.

It wasn't the "right thing" for Sessions to recuse himself. It was the dumb thing to walk into a DEM laid trap by one of the most despicable senators (Al Franken).

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at it another way. What does Sessions bring to the investigation that Rosenstein does not?

The ability to resist the pressure to appoint a special prosecutor when there was no legal need to do so?

- John Adams

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
The democrats insistence on Sessions recusal was NEVER about integrity, it was purely politics. And he played right into their hands.

You can't control someone else's integrity or lack thereof. Some have none, and others don't value integrity.

I take it you would dispense with it entirely. Too much of a limitation, I gather.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Take off your rose colored glasses. This was political, pure and simple.

I believe Sessions has a great deal of integrity, so much so that I believe he would never put himself in a compromising position with the Russians. Since I do not believe that ever happened, there is absolutely no need to recuse himself when he did nothing wrong.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe I don't understand this quote posted above, yet the very obvious daily grind would demonstrate the widely differing notions of 'integrity' and 'loopholes'.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Mueller is going to have to be fired or at least reigned in.
According to news reports, he has expanded his probe well beyond the scope of what was intended.

Fire him now regardless the fallout.

MAGA

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I don't know why, but whenever I hear President Trump say something outrageous, I can't help but think he's ahead of the game and it will play out in our favor and our enemies will be routed.

Take his comments on Jeff Sessions. He says if he knew then what he knows now, he wouldn't have selected him. On the surface, it looks like he's turning on his own. The media sees the perceived division and now sees Jeff Sessions in a different light.

Whatever Jeff Sessions does now will be seen as an action outside of Trump's direction and will be dismissed or not as criticized as it would have been had he not recused himself or if Trump had not said he would have done things different. It blows out the narrative that he's simply Trump's yes-man.

I think he'll reign in Muller at the right time. For now, Trump has allowed the whole world to see exactly who are the swamp creatures and how biased and political these investigations are and have been run.

He's letting groups run amok to the point that it's blatantly obvious what their intentions are. Kind of a "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" approach. I think he's giving people enough rope to hang themselves with and when the noose is tight, he'll pull the chair out from under them.

Muller- He's Comey's BFF and he's hired Dem lawyers and donors to head the "investigation". There should be sufficient evidence that there's a clear ethics conflict

Senate- I'll sign repeal and replace that O-care repeal you've been trying to push through for the past 7 years. Now all the real swamp creatures have been exposed and can be primaries out when they come up for re-eection. We couldn't repeal O-care and its all your fault. That's a condemning charge if you're up for re-election.

CNN has been utterly humiliated. We'll know when the end (of an opponent) is near when Trump brands his enemy (Lyin-Ted, Little-Marco, Crooked Hillary, Fake news-CNN).

Don't panic, guys. Politics is now reality TV at it's finest. It's all under control. Just keep on Tweeting!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Now that Mueller is starting to go after all of Trump's business dealings with Russia, how long until he fires him from this whole debacle?

I think that may be coming soon and all hell will break loose from the Media/DNC Industrial Complex.

We will see some serious Trump Derangement Syndrome then!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mueller- He's Comey's BFF and he's hired Dem lawyers and donors to head the "investigation". There should be sufficient evidence that there's a clear ethics conflict

If this thing is allowed to fester it will only get worse.

quote:
Now that Mueller is starting to go after all of Trump's business dealings with Russia, how long until he fires him from this whole debacle?
I think that may be coming soon and all hell will break loose from the Media/DNC Industrial Complex.
We will see some serious Trump Derangement Syndrome then!

That'll be fun to watch!
I might even tune in a bit of CNN!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24056 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post