SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
funding to repair or replace sections of The Wall, $340 million or so? I'll see if I can't find this again.

This funding will go towards replacing some chain link fencing along the Wall.

$340,000,000 for chain link fence?

Let's see if my math is correct.

https://fence-material.com/gal...in-link-fence-syste/

12 foot commercial chain link fence, including posts (every 10 feet), hardware, and top rail. $25 per linear foot.

$340,000,000 / $25 = 13,600,000 linear feet.

13,600,000 linear feet / 5,280 feet in a mile = 2,575 miles.

Mexican - US Border = Just under 2,000 miles.

They're replacing the chain link fence with an actual wall. That's what the funding is for.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
... you have been abandoned, that the Republicans are inept conmen, but that isn't the case.

That's true. Several of them are conwomen.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
The pressures of the moment may result in a change. Let's hope it is for the better.

I'm not saying the filibuster should be ended all together.... but:
quote:

In the Senate, the idea was to make sure the minority was heard. But over the years, the rule was exploited to stop legislation altogether.

Southern Democrats used it to block anti-lynching legislation in the 1930s and civil rights laws in the 1960s. Not until June 10, 1964 were anti-segregationists able to muster enough votes to cut off a filibuster on a major civil rights bill -- after 60 days of debate.

Then, in 1975, the Senate modified the filibuster, adopting a 60-vote rule.

Let them speak. Let them speak as long as they want.... just like before 1975.
When they finish speaking... call the vote.

There's no good reason for 40 Senators to stop the country dead in its' tracks.

I agree with this. In order for the filibuster to be meaningful it should come at a cost. If you feel strongly about opposing a bill, stand up and talk until you pass out. You shouldn't be able to say "Oh yea, I'm going to filibuster your bill. HA!" and then go out for martinis.

60 votes should only be required where the constitution says they should be required. And please don't say "well they'll be back in power some day.." because guess what? If you think Schumer wouldn't "go nuclear" on any and everything he could you aren't paying attention.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're replacing the chain link fence with an actual wall. That's what the funding is for.

That makes more sense. That would buy about 80 miles of the precast concrete walls that they build next to the highways around here.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Source: Federal News Radio

https://federalnewsradio.com/g...money-in-the-budget/

BUDGET DIRECTOR MICK MULVANEY:

“And we’re going to build this,” Mulvaney told a briefing. “There are several hundreds of millions of dollars for us to replace cyclone fencing with 20-foot high steel wall. There’s several hundreds of millions of dollars in the bill for us. There’s several hundreds of millions of dollars for us to build levee walls along the southern border. And as many of you know who follow this issue, some of the most vulnerable areas that we have are places along rivers where we desperately need levees in order to provide the protection of the southern border that we — that we need, OK?”

THE FACTS: The deal to keep the government running through September doesn’t have money to build any new fencing or walls along the roughly 2,000-mile (3,218-kilometer) border with Mexico. The deal does provide $772 million for border security, money that can be used for repairs to existing fencing or vehicle barriers that spread across just over 650 miles (1,046 kilometers) in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

Most of the existing fencing and barriers were built under the Bush administration as part of the 2006 Secure Fence Act, though some of the construction was completed by the Obama administration.

MULVANEY: “There is money in this deal to build several hundreds of millions of dollars of this to replace this,” he said, gesturing to photos that show new steel fencing replacing a chain-link fence a stretch of border in New Mexico just outside El Paso, Texas. “That’s what we got in this deal and that’s what the Democrats don’t want you to know. This stuff is going up now.”

THE FACTS: Steel fencing is going up in the Border Patrol’s El Paso sector. But that project was approved and started by the Obama administration. In fact, it’s replacing fencing that predates the 2006 law that mandated the construction of hundreds of miles of new fencing along the border.

MULVANEY: “You can talk to the DHS about the details, but there’s been a dramatic reduction in attacks on our Border Patrol agents where they can see through the wall, because nobody’s throwing anything over the top at them,” he said during the briefing, pointing at photos of border fencing already in place.

THE FACTS: Attacks on border agents are up, not down. Most of the fencing already at the border — more than 650 miles worth — is see-through and it hasn’t stopped assaults on agents. Last month then-Border Patrol Chief Ron Vitiello told a security conference in San Antonio, Texas, that such assaults were up nearly 200 percent.

[END]

... to learn what the Dems want to desperately hide from the public ... now if only the fake news cable channels would cover this .... yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer right? Wink

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just want to thank JAllen for staying in the fray and not just increasing the size of his "ignore" list as I do when I read a post that is outrageous.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
JALLEN is an excellent member here, I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am to see him posting again. I don't think it would be his style to just ignore someone he disagrees with. It is through disagreements that we challenge our own beliefs and continue to learn. I know I personally have learned more from JALLEN than any professor in my 4 years at college.

The ignore function is one thing I've never used, there is just no one here I have ever felt compelled to ignore/censor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

The ignore function is one thing I've never used, there is just no one here I have ever felt compelled to ignore/censor.

Oh yeah, well, what would you say if I called you a brutish fossil, symbolic of a decayed era gratefully forgotten?

Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Screw all the bitching and moaning. Trump got the two things he wanted most, a LOT of money for defense spending and funding for the wall.

He got funding for the wall? When?

Not huge concrete walls but steel see through. It's at least a start.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/.../mick-mulvaney-wall/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Oh yeah, well, what would you say if I called you a brutish fossil, symbolic of a decayed era gratefully forgotten?

Wink

The only thing worse than uninformed, irresponsible speculation is uninformed, irresponsible speculation that happens to be accurate.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
JALLEN and I don't see eye to eye on much but I still call him and his wife my friends

we have had some simply excellent meals together

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don't mind differing opinions. It's insufferable arrogance I can't stand. Except for my own of course. Big Grin

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
At least my congress critter voted no.

House Roll Call: Spending Bill

http://www.breitbart.com/news/...-call-spending-bill/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I don't mind differing opinions. It's insufferable arrogance I can't stand. Except for my own of course. Big Grin

I know exactly what you mean, Doc.

Some people say I am arrogant, but I know better.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Remember when Code Pink disrupted Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing ?

Three of them were just convicted.

Sentencing set for June.

all three protesters rejected plea deals and demanded a trial. They could now face jail time when they are sentenced in June, though HuffPost describes that outcome as “probably unlikely.”

http://hotair.com/archives/201...onfirmation-hearing/

let's hope they do get some jail time.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Desiree Fairooz? She should be jailed for that stupid fucking name alone.

Large Marge is waitin' on ya, Fairoooooooooz

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The Code Pink convictions reminded me to check what is happening with the 200 people arrested at the inauguration. Many of these were dressed in black clothes and masks.

The cases are still slowly moving thru the trial process. One of them seems to be getting a bit more serious.

Duke Mabirou has had additional charges filed

Charge #1 Riot Act- Felony
#2 Riot Act - Felony
#3 Conspiracy
#4 Destruction of Property $1000 or more
#5 Destruction of Property $1000 or more
#6 Destruction of Property $1000 or more
#7 Destruction of Property $1000 or more
#8 Destruction of Property $1000 or more
#9 Assault on a Police Officer

Felony arraignment set for 23 June 2017

Mabirou is 24 and from Ypsilanti, MI

adding: doing some spot checks, it looks like quite a few of those arrested have been charged with the same 9 charges as above

Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Let the bastages filibuster, I say.

Start the debate on anything that will supposedly lead the filibustering tools immediately into action.

Then veto the budget.

Watch everthing pressure the knuckleheads while staying rational and reminding people why the Senate is stalled- Schumer wants to filibuster. Can the Senate President not allow for the eventual "yielding to my esteemed colleague"? I have to look into that.

Anyway, eventually one of three things may happen (and much more, but bear with me please, it has been a long week already):

1: It all shuts down, effectively creating its own line item veto. Only fund the Constitutional essentials. Refuse to refund anything excessive and wasteful.

2: It all shuts down. Civil War II may start. Or it may not. People may wake up to it after a week or two and get their filibustering fool removed (would take media cooperation to keep the pressure on the proper side).

3: Some people move from Left to Right under pressure from constituents that NOTHING is working.

The rebirth of our Nation will take brains, brawn, and balls. We have them all.

Our 45th President seems to have them in spades.

We just need to be let them be freed of their PC forced shells and left to their own devices. We will innovate. We will re-create. We will rebuild our citizenry to take on all challenges, no more ridiculous snowflake garbage. Responsibility, Respect, Honor. All basic foundations on which our National Pride rests.

Recently (since November, for some reason Wink ) I have been feeling so much more upbeat and optimistic. There is still SO MUCH TIME to wake up our fellow citizens and be joyous that She Who Shall not be Named lost. Our Country will rise again back to its glory. She has before, and she will again. Have faith, have patience, have a long memory, and, above all, have Spirit.

God bless us all, and God bless our United States of America.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Susan Rice won't testify before Senate on Russia hacking, 'unmasking'

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...cking-unmasking.html

Susan Rice, Barack Obama's longtime national security adviser, declined Wednesday to testify before a Senate subcommittee about Russian activities during the 2016 election campaign.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. had requested that Rice appear before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism on Monday.

In a letter addressed to Graham and ranking member Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., Rice's attorney Kathryn Ruemmler said that her client opted not to appear because Whitehouse had said he did not agree with Graham that Rice should testify.

Ruemmler called Graham's unilateral invitation "a significant departure from the bipartisan invitations extended to other witnesses."

Had she appeared, Rice would have likely faced questions about the so-called "unmasking" of American citizens caught up in conversations with foreign targets of surveillance by the intelligence community. The most prominent figure to be "unmasked" was retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who resigned as Trump's national security adviser in February.

Rice became a central part of the Russia investigation when President Donald Trump said she may have committed a crime when she asked intelligence analysts to disclose the name of a Trump associate mentioned in an intelligence report. Rice has said she did nothing improper.

In a statement of his own, Graham noted Rice's previous denials and said, "I expect we will continue down this path. I hope Ms. Rice will come before the committee – and not just the press."

Monday's hearing is scheduled to include testimony from former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates

DEM senators trying to keep truth from coming out

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
From today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxaalddaqI

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post