SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If the media had spent 1/10 the time they spend on anything Trump on Benghazi or the Clinton Email Server they wouldn't have had to spend a minute on the Russians.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Mattis and Flynn didn't get along.

Mike Flynn’s resignation Monday from the national security adviser position opens an opportunity for Secretary of Defense James Mattis’s close colleague to take the post.

Retired Navy Vice Adm. Robert Harward is reportedly the favorite among three potential Flynn replacements. Harward served as deputy to then-Gen. Mattis during his tenure as the head of United States Central Command and is a known Mattis ally. A former Navy SEAL, Harward reportedly was under consideration to serve as undersecretary of defense for intelligence under Mattis.

Vice President Mike Pence has been leading discussions on Flynn’s replacement, according to a Washington Post report. Mattis, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, CIA director Mike Pompeo, White House senior adviser Jared Kushner, chief strategist Stephen Bannon and Chief of Staff Reince Priebus are also involved in the discussions.

Mattis and Flynn have a less-than-friendly history. One month after Mattis took charge of United States Central Command in 2010, then-Gen. Flynn was recalled from Afghanistan while the Army investigated allegations he “inappropriately” shared secrets with “various foreign military officers and/or officials in Afghanistan.”

The former generals also had divergent views on policy issues, specifically Russia. Flynn has historically maintained a cordial approach on Russian relations, while Mattis once claimed Russia was the “most dangerous” threat in the near term, referring to Russian President Vladimir Putin as “delusional.”

Harward offers the Trump administration a safe and steady pick following the fallout from Flynn’s resignation, two White House officials told the Washington Post.

The former admiral served on President George W. Bush’s National Security Council, specializing in counter-terrorism strategy, and is highly respected among security circles, despite maintaining a low public profile. As far as Mattis is concerned, Harward could be another ally in the White House on top security concerns like Iran and Russia.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02...be-a-win-for-mattis/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tru...osure-175814852.html

Reuters

As a teenager in the early 1970s retired U.S. Navy Vice Admiral Robert S. Harward played football and basketball, was popular with classmates and, like many American high school students, was known for partying.

But Harward, to whom President Donald Trump has offered the post of U.S. national security adviser, to succeed Michael Flynn, spent his teenage years not in his native Rhode Island, but in pre-revolutionary Iran, where his father, a Navy captain, advised the Iranian military.

During his teenage years, Harward lived in an Iranian neighborhood, attended school with Iranian-American students and played sports against Iranian teams. Those experiences gave him an unusual familiarity with Iran's culture and people in the years before the 1979 Islamic revolution that ousted the pro-American Shah.

"During very formative years of his life, he was exposed to everything that was Iran," said Joseph Condrill, who knew Harward, known by his classmates as Bobby, when they were students at the Tehran American School. "Iran was one of our homes, and we got to know the Iranian people very well, in a very intimate way."

The Trump administration has offered Harward the job of national security adviser, two U.S. officials familiar with the matter said on Wednesday. It was not immediately clear if Harward had accepted, the sources said. A White House spokesperson had no immediate comment.

"I think back to the days when I graduated from the Tehran American School in 1974, where as a Westerner I could freely travel through Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and other countries in the region and be greeted, and welcomed, because of the policies and strategy the West employed in the region," he said. "Yet I look today, we are in a much different world."

Harward did not respond to a request for comment and officials at Lockheed Martin, where he is a top executive, declined to comment.

After graduating from high school in 1974, Harward returned to the United States, joined the Navy, became an elite SEAL and rose through the ranks, eventually serving as deputy commander of U.S. Central Command, which oversees American forces in the Middle East. He served there under General Jim Mattis, now the U.S. defense secretary.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Just so nice to see class and respect has returned to the White House. No more pimp-slide Barry and latte salutes.

It really is. That was a wonderful thing to see.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tru...osure-175814852.html

Reuters

As a teenager in the early 1970s retired U.S. Navy Vice Admiral Robert S. Harward played football and basketball, was popular with classmates and, like many American high school students, was known for partying.

But Harward, to whom President Donald Trump has offered the post of U.S. national security adviser, to succeed Michael Flynn, spent his teenage years not in his native Rhode Island, but in pre-revolutionary Iran, where his father, a Navy captain, advised the Iranian military.

During his teenage years, Harward lived in an Iranian neighborhood, attended school with Iranian-American students and played sports against Iranian teams. Those experiences gave him an unusual familiarity with Iran's culture and people in the years before the 1979 Islamic revolution that ousted the pro-American Shah.

"During very formative years of his life, he was exposed to everything that was Iran," said Joseph Condrill, who knew Harward, known by his classmates as Bobby, when they were students at the Tehran American School. "Iran was one of our homes, and we got to know the Iranian people very well, in a very intimate way."

The Trump administration has offered Harward the job of national security adviser, two U.S. officials familiar with the matter said on Wednesday. It was not immediately clear if Harward had accepted, the sources said. A White House spokesperson had no immediate comment.

"I think back to the days when I graduated from the Tehran American School in 1974, where as a Westerner I could freely travel through Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and other countries in the region and be greeted, and welcomed, because of the policies and strategy the West employed in the region," he said. "Yet I look today, we are in a much different world."

Harward did not respond to a request for comment and officials at Lockheed Martin, where he is a top executive, declined to comment.

After graduating from high school in 1974, Harward returned to the United States, joined the Navy, became an elite SEAL and rose through the ranks, eventually serving as deputy commander of U.S. Central Command, which oversees American forces in the Middle East. He served there under General Jim Mattis, now the U.S. defense secretary.

His bio says not only did he "join the Navy" but attended the Naval Academy Prep School and then graduated from the Naval Academy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Any of our naval experts care to share about the Russian ship off our coast? It doesn't seem like it was just pure coincidence that it happened to show up just as Trump was going to have his meeting with Netanyahu.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Any of our naval experts care to share about the Russian ship off our coast? It doesn't seem like it was just pure coincidence that it happened to show up just as Trump was going to have his meeting with Netanyahu.

Intel ships typically shadow subs out to sea until they submerge... But they are always in international waters (12+ miles).

Those intelligence ships are around all the time. Sometimes you can tell what they are sometimes you cant. Nothing really new, and I have no idea why it's such a big deal except the press wants to bring it up.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Donald Trump 6:40 AM - 15 Feb 2017

The fake news media is going crazy with their conspiracy theories and blind hatred. @MSNBC & @CNN are unwatchable. @foxandfriends is great!

http://thehill.com/media/31969...-ask-trump-questions

CNN's Jim Acosta said Wednesday that President Trump only called on conservative news outlets during his joint news conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu because "the fix is in" on which outlets get to ask questions.

indeed it is Jimbo. Screw you

Acosta, who was at the White House but was not called upon and was heard shouting a question when the news conference ended, was asked by King for his take on the president's choice of outlets that asked questions.

"The two questions that were asked or called upon from the president in this news conference went to the Christian Broadcasting Network, no accident, which is obviously owned by Pat Robertson, the televangelist down in Virginia," said Acosta. "It's a very conservative broadcasting network."

Acosta then characterized TownHall.com, which got the second question, as "a very conservative website."

for the record Townhall was very anti-Trump until he was elected

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

for the record Townhall was very anti-Trump until he was elected

I wouldn't say that at all, dubious maybe, but not "very anti."

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hilarious that a CNN reporter is talking about a fix being in. You'd better take a look in the mirror, pard.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:

Trying to cut the long distance charges off their phone bill Big Grin

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Just unprecedented for a president to criticize a media outlet... Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Oh, and this too CNN:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Below is the e-mail invite I got to the Fourth Annual Navy Crew Alumni Banquet

Alumni, Parents and Friends,
We are pleased to announce our fourth annual Navy Crew Alumni Reunion and Spring Kickoff Banquet on Saturday, March 4th, 2017. Last year we had over 200 guests and we expect another great crowd this year. Please join our special guest speaker, VADM Robert S. Harward '79, USN ret., (pictured below) in welcoming our First Class Heavyweight, Lightweight, and Women rowers into the ranks of alumni.

Admiral Harward was a four-year lightweight rower at Navy, who graduated in the Class of 1979. After qualifying as a surface warfare officer aboard the destroyer USS Scott (DDG 995), Harward transferred to the Naval Special Warfare Community, where he was the "Honor Man" of the BUD/S class 128. Born in Newport, Rhode Island, Harward grew up in a Navy family and graduated from the Tehran American High School in Iran. Some of his many distinguished assignments were: Deputy Commander U.S. Central Command, Commander of Combined Joint Interagency Task Force, Deputy Commander of U.S. Joint Forces Command and a tour in the Executive Office of the President at the White House as director of Strategy and Policy for the office of Combating Terrorism.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Speaking of CNN, bet they don't do much with this story:

http://www.floppingaces.net/mo...er-cover-of-protest/

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Just watched Netanyahu's arrival at the White House. Trump saluted the Marines before going inside. Every time I see him return the salute. I realize that as commander in chief he is not required to do that, but I like it and it shows respect.
I can't say whether or not he is "required" to do it, but in my eyes he is "obligated" to do it. Saluting is, and always has been, a 2-way process of showing respect. In the military, an officer can be brought up on charges for willfully failing to return a properly rendered salute from a lesser rank--it's called "conduct unbecoming an officer". I am quite sure that President Trump is aware of this mutual respect situation and is simply doing what is right. (And that is good!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.breitbart.com/video...nd-on-the-democrats/

During an interview aired on Wednesday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Senate Majority Leader Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said that whether or not he needs to use the nuclear option to confirm Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court “will depend on the Democrats.”

McConnell further vowed that Gorsuch will get 60 votes, and that “In any event, Gorsuch is going to be confirmed.”

McConnell: "The Supreme Court nominee was superb. I think he picked the single most outstanding circuit judge in America."

Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Netanyahu arriving at White House:

I bet he didn't make him leave by walking out the back door past the dumpsters. Or walk out of a meeting so he could go have dinner.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

posted Hide Post
Like the Dali Lama:

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post