SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes, moving on...Can't the White House or the Justice Department appeal and have an injunction put in place?

Honestly, like everyone else, I don't get the reasoning behind the judge's decision.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a double post to emphasize an important report

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...top-using-h1b-trump/

worth reading the whole thing

Indian Software Mogul: Hire Americans Now Because Trump Opposes H-1B Outsourcing Visas

U.S. officials say the H-1B program suffers from fraud and extensive corruption, especially in India where inflated resumes and faked documentation are used to get poorly trained and poorly paid Indian workers into American job sites. One U.S. government cable released via Wikileaks said that:

H-1B fraud is one of the top two visa categories for fraud throughout Mission India. All posts regularly encounter inflated or fabricated educational and employment qualifications. The vast majority of these documents come from Hyderabad.

In the 18 months prior to the start-up of consular operations in Hyderabad, FPU Chennai investigated 150 companies in Hyderabad, 77 percent of which turned out to be fraudulent or highly suspect (ref F). Most of those cases slated for site visits were to verify the experience letters for H-1B applicants who did not meet minimum educational qualifications.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yes, moving on...Can't the White House or the Justice Department appeal and have an injunction put in place?

Honestly, like everyone else, I don't get the reasoning behind the judge's decision.

And does it really happen immediately as this judge claims. Don't airports take their orders from the feds - Homeland Security, etc?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Do you even know the definition of the word "Immigrant." ???

One that has immigrated? By definition, physically leaving one country and taken up permanent residence in another country? That kind of immigrant? I'm fairly certain that what is being pointed out by bald1 is that there is no way that our Constitution can extend past our borders offering protection for those that are in any of the 7 listed countries before they have even started their journey.

I'm not wanting to start an argument but you seem a little combative with regard to the President's EO and I am wondering why.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
as this judge claims.

Have you read something directly from "this judge?" Do you have a link?

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

And does it really happen immediately as this judge claims. Don't airports take their orders from the feds - Homeland Security, etc?

The order directs the feds to do what the judge says, so the fed directs its employees. It takes time for the word to get around, but it better not take long.

Has the judge signed an order yet?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://q13fox.com/2017/02/03/w...s-immigration-order/

“At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this outrageous order and defend the executive order of the President, which we believe is lawful and appropriate,” White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement.

“The president’s order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people.

“As the law states, ‘Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.’ ”

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. But, it is called a stay of the injunction that is subject to the appeal.

Preliminary injunctions are not often issued. I have had to pull several all nighters to get things together in the short time afforded a response to such petitions.

Usually courts do not issue them, favoring a decision on the merits after both parties have a full opportunity to prepare and be heard.

It is a high hurdle to get a preliminary injunction. Often, if the bid for a prelim is unsuccessful, petitioners lose heart and walk away because in the process, the judge will give the parties a sense of the judge's leanings.

But, when challenging President Trump with pots of money waiting to be showered on attorneys, we are likely to see a lot of this legal maneuvering, and forum shopping, to hinder and obstruct the President's agenda.

Edit - Well the above post came in while I was typing. There you go. Wink

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Sorry for my previous mistake - here is the text of the judge's temporary restraining order :

https://www.documentcloud.org/...91-Robart-Order.html

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Hire Americans Now Because Trump Opposes H-1B Outsourcing Visas.

U.S. officials say the H-1B program suffers from fraud and extensive corruption

I have been emailing and calling my senators and congressmen to work with President Trump to eliminate both the H-1B and OPT (Optional Practical Training) programs. I sent it out to the link to the President also. And there are probably more programs we don't even know about.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
But if they are still in Syria or Iraq, they do NOT have 'Constitutional rights.'

Exactly my point. Alan read it the way he feels and not in the context of the recent Presidental Executive Order.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16213 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Do you even know the definition of the word "Immigrant." ???

One that has immigrated? By definition, physically leaving one country and taken up permanent residence in another country? That kind of immigrant? I'm fairly certain that what is being pointed out by bald1 is that there is no way that our Constitution can extend past our borders offering protection for those that are in any of the 7 listed countries before they have even started their journey.

I'm not wanting to start an argument but you seem a little combative with regard to the President's EO and I am wondering why.

Thank you. My intent with the word imigrant was in the context of the Executive Order. Heck the thread was discussing the Bush appointee judge blocking the temporary ban so why a couple choose to spin my words has me shaking my head.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16213 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
Sorry for my previous mistake - here is the text of the judge's temporary restraining order :

Thanks for finding the order. It is sparse but problematic.

Reading the court's order, it is hard to see how the following immigration authorization would be illegal every time. Basically, his finding invalidates a statute that has been in use and existence since 1952. That's a big bite for an emergency TRO with one judge in conflict with other courts.

The judge found that using the 1952 statute, even though used for over 60 years, suddenly now causes an immediate, irreparable harm that must be stopped.

Congress authorized the President to impose a variety of restrictions on access to the United States and President Trump says that he is imposing the travel restriction to enhance the vetting needed to ensure our safety.

‘Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.’

There are other issues, too. But, the order was not robust. Often judges know that their orders are going to be appealed so they say as little as possible to let all intendments in the trial court to be filled in by the appellate court as they review matters on a low "abuse of discretion" basis. In other words. they hope the appellate court will generously fill in any blanks they might perceive.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
From Brietbart:

Ferguson’s ruling was on the basis that states had already suffered harm from the travel ban. He also said the lawsuit challenging the legality of the order has a good chance of succeeding. Lawyers for the government had argued the states lacked standing to sue, according to the Seattle Times, and that the order was within Trump’s executive powers.

That said, it is likely that like last Saturday’s Brooklyn decision, that this ruling oo is being blown out of proportion: to wit, a Department of Homeland Security official told NBC News that “the judge’s order will have no immediate practical effect” adding that “all previously issued visas from the seven affected countries were canceled by last week’s executive order” meaning all travelers would have to reapply.

Furthermore, the Trump administration could seek a stay of the Seattle judge’s order.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
quote:
Originally posted by rh:

Thanks for finding the order. It is sparse but problematic.

I'm no attorney, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that right there is some weak nonsense at best. And adversely affecting "family relations"? Really. This judge sounds like a loon. This has to be prime of overturning.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Some judges think they are God emperors of the universe. Which really irritates those of us who are.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The Governor of Washington State was on Fox tonight (Tucker Carlson's show).
After some pushing he said the basis for the injunction was that the 1952 Law was amended in 1964 (or 1965 I forget) to prevent blocking immigrants on the basis of their country of origin.
Also a lot of blather about being based on religion.

The show
https://youtu.be/C5vfbnGlQ3o

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry--I guess I'm a little dense. To me, the phrase "any class of aliens" is very broad and I think it would cover just about any way that individuals could be grouped, including LGBTQ, Muslim, Greek, blue-eyed, left-handed, etc. There does not seem to be wording in the law that removes any of those categories from consideration. (Yes, I know--religious testing is against the Constitution, but we have already agreed that our Constitution does NOT extend to persons not yet within the bounds or control of the United States.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
But if they are still in Syria or Iraq, they do NOT have 'Constitutional rights.'

Exactly my point. Alan read it the way he feels and not in the context of the recent Presidental Executive Order.

Sorry, bald1. I did indeed take your comments out of the context of the discussion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Riding in the Suburban?

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Report This Post