SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Officials in Idaho Discuss Arming School Teachers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officials in Idaho Discuss Arming School Teachers Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted
Article appears in the Tuesday, 14 March 2017, edition of the Idaho State Journal, which is a small regional newspaper headquartered in Pocatello and servs south-eastern Idaho. LINK

The article was updated to include a poll, which asks "Do you support arming Teachers?" I voted "Yes", and I hope you'll go to the URL and cast a similar vote in the poll. You'll find the poll in the right margin of the web page, about halfway down the page.

quote:
Officials discuss pros and cons of arming school teachers
Mar 14, 2017 Updated 2 min ago

[Go to URL to view photo of a teacher writing on a blackboard] Doug Lindley/Idaho State Journal photo illustration

By Journal Staff and wire reports

Idaho Sen. Jim Guthrie, R-Inkom, can see both pros and cons to allowing teachers and administrators to have guns at school.

But after listening to 911 tapes from shootings that took place at Columbine High School and Virginia Tech as part of a recent emergency training for the senate, he said he’s finding more validity to the argument.

“You really felt the helplessness of those in those situations,” Guthrie said. “You could see how the passion gets stirred (up to find a) way to level the playing field if we can.”

Although he’s not aware of any proposed legislation giving Idaho teachers the ability to have a gun at school, he thinks the discussion will end up on the table eventually.
Some school districts have already moved forward with limited policies of their own.

Most recently, a school district in north-central Idaho decided to allow some teachers to be trained and armed.

The Lewiston Tribune reports that Mountain View School District in Grangeville, a city in Idaho County, approved a policy allowing staff members who elect to be trained as district security officers to act as an armed line of defense in the case of an emergency. The staff members will be allowed to carry a concealed firearm.

Superintendent Kent Stokes says after months of editing, the policy the board approved is solid. He says the next step is to seriously vet any staff members who are interested in volunteering to be a part of the policy.

The remote Garden Valley School District in Boise County also has some trained employees who have access to firearms.

While Pocatello High School Principal Lisa Delonas recognizes that there are some areas of the country where arming teachers may make sense for safety reasons, she personally isn’t comfortable with the idea and she doesn’t think it’s really necessary here.

“I think that’s probably pushing it a little far,” she said.

Rep. Julie VanOrden, R-Pingree, agrees that there are pros and cons to allowing teachers to be armed, but she also believes it’s something school districts should be able to approve if they are comfortable with it and the parameters they set.

“I think we should give districts maximum flexibility to make those decisions,” VanOrden said.

The National Rifle Association thinks all options should be considered when it comes to protecting children, according to its National School Shield website.

“When a threat occurs, a quick and timely response by law enforcement professionals is what everyone hopes for. However, in these situations — when time is clearly of the essence — we strongly believe that trained school personnel can also serve a vital role,” the website states. “As the first to face the threat, they can lead and implement protocols designed to save lives.”

Lawmakers in both Montana and Wyoming have recently considered bills allowing teachers to be armed.

The Montana House discussed a proposal to allow full-time school employees who met certain shooting standards to carry concealed weapons in classrooms and on school property, but ultimately voted it down.

Rep. Seth Berglee, R-Joliet, who was behind the measure, said during a half-hour debate that an average school shooting lasts only three minutes, leaving little time for police to react.

“Who’s going to be able to respond in time to stop a shooting that happens in three minutes?” Berglee said. “The only person is going to be someone who is in that school.”

An FBI study of active-shooter incidents between 2000 and 2013 found that 44 of 63 shootings in which the duration could be determined ended in five minutes or less. Twenty-three of those ended in two minutes or less, according to the study.

But lawmakers who voted against the bill noted that their constituents have been vocal in their opposition of it. Rep. Moffie Funk, D-Helena, said 1,189 people contacted lawmakers about the bill by phone or through the Legislature’s messaging system, with 1,109 people against it and 80 for it.

That does not include people who contacted lawmakers directly, she said.

“Our constituents, the people who sent us here, don’t want this,” Funk said.

Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen believes it’s important for school districts to have community and staff support if they decide to implement such a policy. And he doesn’t think anyone who is uncomfortable with a gun should try to use one.

Like many others, Nielsen thinks there are valid reasons to both allowing and banning guns.

He agrees that active-shooter emergencies can play out quickly.

“One thing I’ve noticed whenever I’ve studied those massacres is that as soon as the police showed up with guns, they ended,” he said, adding that someone who can intervene can help stop it.

Still, he says a gun is only as good as the person who holds it. Those who use them need to know more than how to pull the trigger. They have to be willing to shoot when necessary and they have to be able to hit what they’re aiming at, he said.

“You need to know your surroundings, know where your bullet is going, and you don’t shoot into crowds,” he said.

Nielsen believes that teachers and administrators who carry concealed weapons should have ongoing training to keep their skills up. He also says it’s important to ensure students can’t access the weapons.

Although Nielsen has some concerns about bringing guns into schools, he also thinks it can be a bad idea to ban the weapons completely.

“I have a rough time saying (there should be) gun-free zones because that’s also an opportunity for somebody to know they will not be challenged,” Nielsen said.

In Wyoming, a pair of bills allowing teachers to carry guns at school and citizens to take them into government meetings may soon head to the desk of Gov. Matt Mead.

Gun advocates in the state Legislature finally got the critical mass needed for both new gun-carry measures after several years of trying.

Conjecture about the need for guns in Wyoming schools recently garnered national attention. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, under questioning from Wyoming U.S. Sen. Mike Enzi during her confirmation hearing, suggested an elementary school in the tiny community of Wapiti might want to keep a gun handy to protect students from grizzly bears.

In the early 2000s, school officials working with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department installed a tall fence to keep grizzlies off the grounds of the K-5 school.

Under one of the bills, a school official would need to have a concealed-carry permit and school board permission to take a gun to school. They would need to either carry it at all times or keep it in a locked box under direct control.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Done. The vote is very close. Scroll way down the page to get to the meaningless poll.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Done. The vote is very close. Scroll way down the page to get to the meaningless poll.

Thanks, Arfmel!

Don't be so sure the poll is "meaningless". Pocatello, the home of Idaho State University, is the liberal hotbed of Idaho -- second only to the California-infested Sun Valley area.

Local government reps, like Jim Guthrie, the state senator mentioned early in the story above, pay attention to things like the Idaho State Journal's unscientific polls. These things are their bread and butter.

The result of this poll will have some influence on how they vote.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I went to high school in Utah in the 60's. It was not uncommon to see gun racks in pickup trucks in the student parking lot, with guns in them, mostly .22's and shotguns.

My world history teacher was doing a custom stock for his deer rifle, carried it around with him from the classroom to the woodshop and back, stored it in the corner by his desk. No one gave these things a second thought.

Admittedly society has changed quite a bit since then. I think much of the problem is that they focus on the guns rather than the people who use the guns.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Done...

Happy to support my neighbors to the East!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The schools I taught at had very few teachers competent to handle a firearm. Out of a teaching staff of 70, there were four of us that had anything to do with firearms. Most of the staff would have nothing to do with weapons or training.
The odds are good that arming teachers will result in: students getting hold of a teachers pistol; teacher leaving/losing the pistol; or a ND.
Keep in mind that there are some 135,000 schools in the United States. The chance of any one school being targeted are very low.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Keep in mind that there are some 135,000 schools in the United States. The chance of any one school being targeted are very low.

Unless you live in CO. There have been 3 school shootings within a 20 mile radius of where I live (Plate Canyon, Columbine and Arapahoe).

The odds of me getting in a car wreck are also very low, but I still wear my seat belt. I also have fire extinguishers and life insurance.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
The odds are good that arming teachers will result in ….

A nice resurrection of exactly the same arguments that were made against letting just anyone carry a concealed weapon.

Some things never change.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sapper,
I contributed a Yes vote. Noticed the Yes votes are in the majority at the moment.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Read Forstchen's "Day of Wrath".

A few well skilled teachers can be very effective & there is a wide distance between some of these schools and police response.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:
Sapper,
I contributed a Yes vote. Noticed the Yes votes are in the majority at the moment.

Thanks MPB, appreciate your effort.

But looking at the site this morning I see that the count is very close, with 130 in support of arming teachers and 126 opposed.

Thanks,

Sap

Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Poll is still up.

Hoplophobes are winning, 214 to 176.

Thanks,

Sap

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Thanks, Arfmel!

Don't be so sure the poll is "meaningless". Pocatello, the home of Idaho State University, is the liberal hotbed of Idaho -- second only to the California-infested Sun Valley area.

Local government reps, like Jim Guthrie, the state senator mentioned early in the story above, pay attention to things like the Idaho State Journal's unscientific polls. These things are their bread and butter.

The result of this poll will have some influence on how they vote.

I just voted, and the results are in favor of NOT arming teachers.

And, I know about pocatello. My brother was a district state police captain there for a while before they moved him to Boise.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the big deal is. Teachers in Utah have been armed, if they choose to carry, for years, with zero unfavorable incidents.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don't know what the big deal is. Teachers in Utah have been armed, if they choose to carry, for years, with zero unfavorable incidents.

Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is either. Sure seems like a no-brainer to me. OF COURSE I want my kids/grandkids to immediately have a good guy with a gun between them an an active shooter at their school -- what kind of idiot wouldn't?

But look at the poll results: only 231 say "Yes". They're outnumbered by 253 hoplophobes who would rather have victims for kids than give them a chance against an in-school shooter. It's insane.

Please, go to the poll and vote "Yes"!

It is an unscientific poll. It should be meaningless. But local politicians are attuned to this garbage. They are influenced by what they perceive this local newspaper is revealing to them about where their votes are. Locally, polls like this do make a difference.

Thanks,

Sap