SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Diego space and air museum anyone been?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Diego space and air museum anyone been? Login/Join 
posted
I have a layover in San Diego and was thinking of checking out the Air and Space museum. Has anyone ever been?

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yes, but just once. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the exhibits. Now the museum is in Balboa Park, also the location of the zoo and a bunch of other museums including car and train museums, museum of natural history, museum of science, etc.
I look forward to going repeatedly once we are finally settled down here.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't but the USS Midway was cool.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Yes, about 5 years ago. It was quite remarkable for what I thought was a small exhibit. I spent 2-3 hours in there easily. Great Nasa stuff on display inside.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Was just there a few weeks ago (I live about 20 miles north). It is worth it.

Though a bit on the pricey side, if you eat at The Prado your taste buds will not be disappointed.

Also, along the main drag and just to southeast of the botanical gardens, look up at the facade of the building and you will see casts of topless women (big deal, I know). Look closer and you should note all the women appear differently shaped (about 30 - 40).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to San Diego since the late 1970's, but at that time the Ryan Aviation factory was still there, where the Spirit of St Louis was built in 1927. The "Ryan" name was visible from the road we were on, but the building had been damaged in a fire shortly before we got there and was not open for visitors.

A Google search didn't help much, but if I get there again, it's a place I would not miss.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Air and Space museum is definitely worthwhile. Among other things, a Lockheed A-12 is mounted on a pylon outside the museum. The A-12 is similar to the SR-71, but is even faster because it’s lighter – one-man crew vs. two for the SR-71, and lighter fuel load.

You might also like the Glider Port. On the Pacific coast, west of the UCSD campus. Open only on weekends, you can see many parasails & hang gliders in the air. They can stay airborne indefinitely, thanks to the rising air from the off-ocean breeze. You can stand within a few feet of the take-off & landing area. Also RC gliders.

Here’s the phone number for the Cliff Hanger cafe:
‭(858) 452-9858‬
Plug that into your GPS to guide you to the Glider Port. The Cliff Hanger offers sandwiches & beverages.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Definitely worthwhile. There are lots of interesting exhibits of all kinds. San Diego has been a center of aviation and aerospace activity since the beginning.

The Midway Museum on the old carrier is another don’t miss attraction.

There is another warplane collection up at MCAS Miramar you can see driving up the main road, and can visit at certain times, whatever the current regs are.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is another warplane collection up at MCAS Miramar you can see driving up the main road, and can visit at certain times, whatever the current regs are.

That's the Flying Leatherneck Museum. It has numerous old warbirds, both fixed and rotary wing, from WW II through Korea and Vietnam up to a Tomcat, not sure if it has a Hornet. They even have an OV-10 Bronco.

It's open most days and free but accepts donations. Buy a coffee mug.

We drive by there twice on Sundays, so far have only stopped once but we'll be back.

At the Air and Space Museum, the Midway, and the Flying Leatherneck Museum the best part is talking to the docents who used to fly warbirds of various types.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, worth it. Always in my top-5 of places to recomend when visitors ask; give yourself 2-3 hours there. It's in Balboa park which itself is packed with the city's museum district. Biggest of course is the San Diego Zoo which is at the North end of the park. The Museum of Art, and the Museum of Man are housed in impressive neo-Spanish architecture. Next door to the SD Air & Space is the SD Automotive Museum. You can easily spend 5-6 hours in the surrounding area.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This annex is a few miles east of downtown at Gillespie Field:

http://sandiegoairandspace.org...illespie-field-annex

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I was there last summer the day before the Miramar Air Show. It's a great museum. Well worth the trip. You might have time to hit the USS Midway too.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Woods ~ you have the name close, it's actually the San Diego Air & Space Museum (www.SanDiegoAirAndSpace.org/). Wonderful place, I've been a past volunteer and an all around pain in the neck when my Uncle was their board. Roll Eyes

4th Tuesday of the month admission is free to San Diego County residents, college students, and Active Duty Military/dependents.

What most people are not aware of, is the museum's extensive archive and library are searchable:
www.s92006.eos-intl.net/S92006/OPAC/Index.aspx

If you are looking for a specific topic, or if you happen to have a relative who has made aviation history use their online search and contact the library before you visit to arrange a viewing.

As SigMund wrote, the museum's annex is about a 30 minute drive East of the Balboa museum's location and they have aircraft being restored as well as some completed that are on display.

If you arrive in Terminal 2 at Lindbergh Field, there is replica of the Spirit of St. Louis mounted on the ceiling. It was made by volunteers including some who built the original, and it is as close to an exact replica as can be duplicated. Definitely view the aircraft before you descend from the arriving gate area down to the baggage claim. That will put you give you a level view. Ask anyone who works at the airport, they will point you in the right direction.

Depending how long your layover is, the USS Midway Museum (www.Midway.org/) is closer to the SD airport by maybe 15 minutes. The Midway displays US Navy aircraft where the SD Air & Space museum has civilian and military aircraft not just the US Navy.

Also located in San Diego bay is the Maritime Museum of San Diego (www.SDmaritime.org/) which has a Soviet Attack Submarine in the water that you can tour. I'm not sure if this interests you, but since it is located close to the USS Midway, I wanted to share it with you as well.

The US Marines at MCAS Miramar have 48 Marine Corps related aircraft on display that is open to the public. It is located about 25 minutes from the airport. I haven't been yet, but their newest exhibit is about the Navajo Code Talkers from WWII.
www.FlyingLeathernecks.org/
Once a month from May thru September, the museum has open cockpit days when you are able to sit in the pilots seat.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
sleepla8er,
Wow, thanks for all that info!!
The Air and Space Museum annex volunteers are restoring an F4U Corsair--I haven't seen it yet but plan to. I sometimes hang out at Gillespie with my daughter's father-in-law who has a hangar there.

I'm thinking we need a San Diego SF get-together. I can think of at least 4 of us, and nhtagmember is often out here.