SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nathaniel Hawthorne, author, dead at the age of 213
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nathaniel Hawthorne, author, dead at the age of 213 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
That's about how I feel when I see threads about guys I would have figured had been dead for years, but they died yesterday. Fats Domino and Robert Guillaume? What the Hell??

It's an odd feeling- it's "Hey, we was still alive?? Oh, wow, so he's gone?"

Weird

Sometimes it's good when you stumble across someone you thought was dead, but they're still alive. David Douglas Duncan comes to mind. I found out recently that he's still alive, age 101. The places that guy has been, he could have checked out long ago.

Anyhoo, in conclusion- farwell, Nate! You didn't write much for the last 150 years, resting on your laurels, I suppose.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I agree but on the other hand, I keep hearing about people, primarily entertainers and public officials, I didn't know were dead. Guess I need to read the gossip columns more.

Excuse my ignorance Para, but who was Hawthorne?

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
Excuse my ignorance Para...
That's quite impossible.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Abe Vigoda was one of those people. When he died last year, I honestly thought he had been dead since the 70's.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Abe had a website that you could check to see if he was still around.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know - that guy who was buddies with Ralph Emerson and Hank Thoreau. They were always hanging out with Lucy Alcott.

You're kidding - right?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

You know - that guy who was buddies with Ralph Emerson and Hank Thoreau. They were always hanging out with Lucy Alcott.

You're kidding - right?

-Rob

Ralph Emerson is still alive. I saw him playing golf yesterday. Didn't see Hank or Nate in the foursome. Actually, the Ralph Emerson I know is a direct descendant of Waldo.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Actually, the Ralph Emerson I know is a direct descendant of Waldo.

And where is he these days? Seems like I haven't seen him since I was a kid. Hell, I'd probably miss him in a crowd.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If anyone would have told me a week ago that Fats Domino was still alive I would not have believed them. I really had no idea.

Reminded me of Lewis Grizzard:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And where is he these days? Seems like I haven't seen him since I was a kid. Hell, I'd probably miss him in a crowd.

-Rob

He is a member and posts on the forum quite frequently.

Mostly in the cat picture thread.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

-Rob

I think he spends most of his time up at fish camp on Walden Pond.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
If anyone would have told me a week ago that Fats Domino was still alive I would not have believed them. I really had no idea.

Reminded me of Lewis Grizzard:

what!?!?!?!?!

Elvis is dead???

thought he was running that Krispy Kreme up in Montana,, with that other guy named Tupac??

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
This breaking news just in ... Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Isn't Elvis a retired LEO in Cochise County, AZ? Saw him last year at truck stop in Lordsburg, New Mexico.

Sorry to hear about Hawthorne.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Hawthorne's dead? Damn. This has been a rough week...

My screen is getting all blurry. Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Isn't Elvis a retired LEO in Cochise County, AZ? Saw him last year at truck stop in Lordsburg, New Mexico.

That's his cousin, Elvez. He likes Peanut Butter and Banana tacos.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

That's his cousin, Elvez. He likes Peanut Butter and Banana tacos.

lol!

I cant believe you don't know who nathaniel hawethorne is! He invented the blender! Wink

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Never liked his work, it always seemed so dated

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Nathaniel Hawthorne is dead Jim, has been dead a while and is gonna be dead a long time.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
RIP Another one gone to soon. Frown

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post