SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoking a pork loin roast
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking a pork loin roast Login/Join 
posted
Bought a 4 pound boneless pork loin roast and I thought about grilling it but decided to use the Weber Smokey Mountain today.
Charcoal just got lit.
I'm setting it for 225° and wondering how long it will take? I haven't bought one of the digital, dual probe thermometers yet even though the Weber has a port for it.
4 hours? That's what I'm kinda thinking. Maybe longer?
I do have a regular meat thermometer but I hate opening the lid a lot.
Had good success on the grill pulling the roast off at 145° and letting it rest for about 10 minutes or so.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I can't answer your question. However I would suggest you look at some of the wireless thermometers. They are pretty inexpensive. Take the remote and hit the lazy boy with a cold one.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I did one on a Kamado. A little smaller (3lbs) and it took that long.
I would recommend checking temp at about 3 hours and then periodically afterwards to ensure you don't over cook.
The digital probes are not that expensive and very helpful.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to inject apple juice into several areas of the pork roast and then squirt plain old yellow mustard as my rub around the roast.

Soak the wood chips in water a bit. Get the coals going til they start to turn gray / white. Put the roast on the grate, toss in the wood chips and close the smoker. I check the coals about every 45 mins or every hr. Toss in more coals as they fade, even more wood.

I have a cheap Brinkman water type smoker, distance from the coals & water to the roast is probably 16”. I’ve never burned or ruined anything I’ve put on that smoker. Low and slow is your friend.

If you don’t have an injector get one, keeps everything moist. If you like vinegar based bbq sauce, search for North Carolina bbq sauce. Good grilling to ya!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I smoke everything on my Weber Kettle so I'm not familiar with the Smokey Mountain. Get a dual temp system for the next time you do a pork loin. You'll wonder how you lived without it. I hate guess work when BBQing and smoking meat and my Maverick probe system eliminates that problem.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
A four lb pork butt usually takes between 4-6 hrs on my Weber Smokey Mt, depending on the cooking temp. My wife has a digital thermometer with a wired probe that I use to determine core temp. I've heard it said that every time you open the lid to check on the meat, you add another 15 minutes to the cooking time. I try to refrain from doing that; but sometimes I just can't help myself. If you run it much hotter than 225-235 degrees, you may have to add water to the pan.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I smoke everything on my Weber Kettle so I'm not familiar with the Smokey Mountain. Get a dual temp system for the next time you do a pork loin. You'll wonder how you lived without it. I hate guess work when BBQing and smoking meat and my Maverick probe system eliminates that problem.

Jim

Just ordered one online. Not helping today of course but for next time definitely.
I'll check at the 3 hour mark manually and gauge from there.
It's about to on in about 10 minutes.
Apple and Cedar wood. Spray bottle with apple juice and water mixed.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Dual temp system? I have remote reading probe thermometer. But what's a dual temp system?

quote:

Jim

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever cooked a 4 lb one so I cannot help on time. All of mine have been in the 1 to 3 lb range.

Pork Loin is a pretty lean cut of pork. I used to smoke at 225 and it was good. However, cooking at 350 on the BGE indirect with the exact same charcoal produced nearly as good as flavor but it was much juicier.

My preference is to have multiple 1 lb pork loins rather than 1 big one. It cooks faster and doesn't dry out as much. Diameter has a bigger influence than length so two 2" diameter foot long tenderloins will cook faster than two 4" diameter, 6" long tenderloins.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Dual temp system? I have remote reading probe thermometer. But what's a dual temp system?

quote:

Jim

2 probes, one for internal temp of the grill or smoker and one for meat temp. I find them to be invaluable.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

Jim

2 probes, one for internal temp of the grill or smoker and one for meat temp. I find them to be invaluable.

Jim

Smokey mountain has a thermometer for internal temp of the grill mounted on the lid.

I would probably say closer to 3-3.5 hours since you're only taking it to 145F. I did a 4" thick chuck roast and it only took 3 hours. I have a smokey mountain, but have never done a pork loin on it. I've done tons of pork butt and ribs on it. I've never had to add to the water pan, even when cooking for 12-14 hours with it @225F, that I can remember. It's been over a year since I've used it for pork butt and did 12-14 hours.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

Jim

Smokey mountain has a thermometer for internal temp of the grill mounted on the lid. QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------
My Weber does too but its proven to be unreliable. The probe for the grill can be set close to meat and is far more accurate.

Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Jim

Jim

Smokey mountain has a thermometer for internal temp of the grill mounted on the lid.

I would probably say closer to 3-3.5 hours since you're only taking it to 145F. I did a 4" thick chuck roast and it only took 3 hours. I have a smokey mountain, but have never done a pork loin on it. I've done tons of pork butt and ribs on it. I've never had to add to the water pan, even when cooking for 12-14 hours with it @225F, that I can remember. It's been over a year since I've used it for pork butt and did 12-14 hours.

It was 3.5 hours about right on the nose.
I should have taken a picture because it turned out awesome.
I didn't have to add water at all and with the spray bottle method, there was actually more liquid in the pan.
Daughter loved it. She said just one slice and ended up eating 3.
Grilled pita bread and a fresh spinach salad with balsamic vinegrette dressing.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

Jim

Smokey mountain has a thermometer for internal temp of the grill mounted on the lid. QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------
My Weber does too but its proven to be unreliable. The probe for the grill can be set close to meat and is far more accurate.

Jim
The dial thermometers that come with grills are off by as much as 50 degrees. Doesn’t matter when you’re grilling hot and fast, but makes a huge difference when going low n slow. If you’re cooking to time (ie not cooking to meat temperature) 50 degrees too hot and you could be eating pizza because your bbq was burnt to a crisp.

The 2 or more probe digital system is THE way to go for low n slow. Accurate pit temp and accurate meat temp.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Ah. Okay. Thanks.

quote:
quote:

quote:

Jim

Jim

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post