SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What happened to Firefox!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happened to Firefox! Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
Have been having trouble with firefox for the last couple of days.

Some nonsense about security problems.

Went to a different browser and this one works.

Any ideas. other than not using firefox?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Firefox has gotten really slow for me over the last few months.
Two days ago, it wouldn't load my Email page, saying I need to enable cookies. I've run that page in Firefox for many years without changing any settings.

I tried the Brave browser a few days ago and I've been using it a lot since it is so much faster for me.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I'm using "explorer" right now, it's the only other browser that I have on my system.

Firefox was working well up until this "security" crap started, and it won't even let me post a message on sigforum!

I think I will see if I can download your browser and see how that works out.

Thanks

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep, Firefox seems to have been hosed. Brave is the way to go so far.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm not having any issues.... yet

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I had major problems with Firefox about 3 weeks ago - wouldn't load Fox News, wouldn't load SigForum or about a half-dozen other sites...all 'security' related - which of course means it had nothing to do with security

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
firefox is dying, as are most browsers, I use a mix of 4 now. Chrome, opera, Vivaldi, and firefox for a few things.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I gave up on Firefox for general use a while ago for this same performance and hanging problems. I only use it for Sigforum believe it or not. I like Chrome the best for performance and compatibility reasons, but sometimes I use IE because I don't like being spied on and collected as much as the google browser does.

I should try some of the others like you guys have.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have had the same Firefox "security" messages, but it lets me continue. I have a hunch it is more political correctness than a real security issue. (Mozilla is very politically correct). Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I quit Firefox months ago. It wouldn't load or run half the time. I use Chrome, it works, but they all suck. The adds and way they invade your "privacy" and track your every move has gotten beyond old.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm on a Mac and Firefox 64 bit has been [knock on wood] quick and flawless for several years [/knock on wood]. A couple years ago, I was close to kicking the bloated pig to the curb but they fixed it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No problems here with either Firefox (64-bit) v54.0 or Waterfox (64-bit) v53.0.3.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
No problems here with Firefox on Linux Mint. Just a few days ago in my "Update Manager", Firefox had an update version 54.0(64-bit) available and I downloaded and installed it and still no problems.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I am having no problems with Firefox on Windows 10. However I may not be a typical user. I have my browser setup to delete history and cookies every time I close the browser. So every time I open my browser I have nothing from previous sessions cached that may slow my web browsing, but this means I must log in to every site that needs me to every time I go to it. I also have to re do any settings between sessions as well. It's a little extra work but I don't seem to be hit by a lot of performance issues that others seem to have.

I also just updated to Firefox 54 in the last couple of days but I haven't noticed any differences.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I am having no problems with Firefox on Windows 10. However I may not be a typical user. I have my browser setup to delete history and cookies every time I close the browser. So every time I open my browser I have nothing from previous sessions cached that may slow my web browsing, but this means I must log in to every site that needs me to every time I go to it. I also have to re do any settings between sessions as well. It's a little extra work but I don't seem to be hit by a lot of performance issues that others seem to have.

I also just updated to Firefox 54 in the last couple of days but I haven't noticed any differences.
I've always had Firefox set up that way, and I have Ad Blockers installed; it still has gotten very slow.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Why more than one ad blocker? I only use ublock origin, which seems to be all I need. It seems to work better than ad block plus but I didn't have performance issues using either one. I only have 2 other extensions that I installed and they don't seem to cause any issues either.

I also have gone into the firefox config and set the browser to not autoplay media files when loading web pages. If, after the page loads, I want to see the video on the page I usually have to hit the play/stop button twice to get the video to play. The only problem is that it doesn't play Vimeo or Twitch hosted videos at all now. Which I can live with.

I have also uninstalled flash player and just don't bother watching anything that requires it.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had so many problems the last 2 weeks, but I thought it was my crappy internet, not firefox?

The next time, I will try a different browser and see what happens.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I ditched Firefox about 1.5 years ago. It would freeze and close. Went to Chrome and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Shame because it used to be my browser of choice. Always hated IE but have to use it for government website access.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
After a LOT of messing around trying to get firefox to work, I gave up this morning and went to chrome.

Also have IE on the system but do not care for it with all their ads.

Somehow my adblockers got scrubbed. But if I get overrun with ads, I will try to get the blockers back.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I use www.startpage.com based in the Netherlands and will not share info with Uncle Sam!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post