SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven Percent of American Adults Think Chocolate Milk Comes from Brown Cows
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven Percent of American Adults Think Chocolate Milk Comes from Brown Cows Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
The only surprise here is that the percentage is so low. Roll Eyes

U.S. Dairy’s Innovation Center surveyed more than 1,000 adults over the age of 18 in April and found that seven percent of respondents thought that brown cows make chocolate milk.

An additional 48 percent of respondents did not know that chocolate milk is made of milk mixed with cocoa butter and sugar.

The survey has attracted its fair share of snarky critics.

“Um, guys, it comes from cows – and not just the brown kind,” wrote Elisabeth Sherman of Food & Wine.

Snarky critics aside, agricultural experts say the survey’s results show a growing trend where Americans are “agriculturally illiterate,” meaning they do not know the process of how food goes from the farm to the kitchen table or how other food items are made.

A 1990s study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture found that almost 1 in 5 adults did not know that most hamburgers are made from beef.

That study also showed that Americans did not know the type of food animals eat or the size of farms in the U.S.

The problem of food illiteracy is not just isolated to adults.

In one study from 2011, researchers found that more than half of the fourth, fifth, and sixth-grade students they interviewed did not know pickles were cucumbers or that vegetables such as onions came from plants.

Studies, however, say this is not representative of all of Americans. People who live in agricultural areas, as well as people with higher incomes and education levels, tend to know more about the source of food, according to the Washington Post.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...lk-comes-brown-cows/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Morons.

And pickles come from jars. Duh.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
With the left running education for the past 60 years is this result really all that surprising?

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snarky critics aside, agricultural experts say the survey’s results show a growing trend where Americans are “ agriculturally illiterate...”
There, that's a more accurate statement. A country of morons indeed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, buffalo wings come from buffalos, right?

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
What, they don't? Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Yes

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I thought it would be much higher.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Wait....What....OMG....Mind-blown......

Wink

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Snowflakes grow into dohflakes...

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What part of the chicken does the nugget come from?

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
When I was a youngster, I could never understand how a brown cow could eat green grass, give white milk, make yellow butter and blue cheese.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
And brown eggs come from.... chickens...just plain ordinary chickens.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
veins, meat stained by cutting vein, cartilage, skin, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mohair comes from the mo.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
veins, meat stained by cutting vein, cartilage, skin, etc.

Dad was the Veterinary USDA Inspector APHIS MPIP at a chicken plant. I visited there a few times. Just about anything they can grind up goes into the processes items. Beaks, buts, floor sweepings. I am not a fan of chicken weenies.

Oh and didn't you know that Hershey syrup is chocolate milk concentrate?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't want to know. Trust me on this, it's like hot dogs...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Powdered milk comes from dehydrated cows.

Sour milk from discontented cows.

Butter milk, cows from California.

Ice cream, Cows in Wisconsin.

Skim milk from skinny cows.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And 100% of those 7% reside in large urban crap-holes.

Does anyone know where I can find a strawberry colored
cow to get me some strawberry milk?!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Once again, I hesitate to ask where baby oil comes from.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post