SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nikki Haley: 'The US will be taking names' when UN votes on Jerusalem decision-UPDATE: Haley announces 285M cut to 2018-19 UN budget
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikki Haley: 'The US will be taking names' when UN votes on Jerusalem decision-UPDATE: Haley announces 285M cut to 2018-19 UN budget Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
UK, France, and Germany sure don't have a muslim problem do they???

Japan, I think they really want the US gone. South Korea is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

I wonder between defense spending, direct aid, and money our service people inject in to their economy what the total annual investment the US has in England each year?

Maybe a little isolationism is called for now.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
The UK is the one that really surprised me.

I kind of expected France and Germany to go that way. Also surprised that Mexico abstained which while not for us, neither is it against us. Maybe they do realize who butters their bread.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many F-22's we (the US) could buy with the money saved, by not giving to those nations?
------
Okay, one F-22 costs us about $40 million, and we give $42 billion in foreign aid to all countries combined. If we took half, 21 billion, we could build 525 F-22 planes per year. Perhaps the countries voting against us would be a boon overall.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It is true that we should convince other nations to shoulder more of the cost of the UN. It serves some useful purposes. The U.N. is the accepted forum for the expression of international hatred. It is better to jaw-jaw than to war-war, as Churchill put it, letting off steam, as it were.

A very significant percentage of foreign aid is spent to buy stuff from the US. That’s pretty useful. The massive aid to Egypt, for example, buys us priority in the use of the Suez Canal, and air space.

Moreover, this resolution means nothing.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Like 99.9% of UN resolutions.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yes, it means nothing

however the UN needs us (the US) more than we need them so I still think we should tell them to fuck right off and give their 'diplomats' they have 24 hours to pay their parking tickets and get out otherwise they will be arrested and expelled.

seriously, enough with the games and shit

we do not need them for anything that is important to this country. Banded together they'd last a day by themselves so let them wither

foreign aid - end it to help pay for the $1 Trillion tax cut deficit.

a billion is better than nothing

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
let them fucking move to the Alps and choke on Ricolas!

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
There must be a lot of left wings in Israel too, I've been reading some of the websits/newspapers from Israel, and just astounded at how many slam Trump's stance.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
The Mossad
@TheMossadIL
·
7h
We're making a list
We're checking it twice
Gonna find out whose funding to slice
@nikkihaley's coming to town

Another view of Nikki coming to town...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheMossadIL

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Honduras and Guatamala stood with us. Attaboy!

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Muy Bueno!

quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Honduras and Guatamala stood with us. Attaboy!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

I kind of expected France and Germany to go that way. Also surprised that Mexico abstained which while not for us, neither is it against us. Maybe they do realize who butters their bread.

Not surprised by the UK -

They do not want to upset and agitate their local hadji population into committing acts of blowing themselves up in public places.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

I forget which, but as a matter of standard policy some countries always abstain on anything regarding Israel vs Palestine as a gesture of remaining impartial.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
A very significant percentage of foreign aid is spent to buy stuff from the US. That’s pretty useful. The massive aid to Egypt, for example, buys us priority in the use of the Suez Canal, and air space.

Pretty much. The whole affair, starting with Trump's recognition of Jerusalem, was for domestic consumption from the start, and so was the pushback. In practice (West) Jerusalem is Israel's capital, and recognizing it as such cannot fuck up the present situation on the ground much more anyway; if people had taken the time to read Trump's actual statement rather than the 140-character version, they would have found he said the move wasn't to preclude an eventual agreement between the Israeli and Palestinian side on the limits and division of sovereignty in the city, which is really close to the international majority stance that it's on both parties to agree on a solution. So it was a way for Trump to excite his base that should have cost him nothing.

The pro-Palestinian camp did just the same though. Obviously Egypt knew the original resolution wouldn't fly in the UN Security Council when they brought it - which resolution criticizing a veto power would? Turkey and Yemen knew UN General Assembly resolutions mean zip when they forwarded it there - it's a venue where you can air all sorts of nonsense and people will vote for it because there's no practical effect. Trump/Haley rather needlessly gave it more importance than it had through the threat of retribution, still for internal consumption; but the resolution sponsors were playing it the same way and could look to be standing up to the big bad American bully, safe in the knowledge that there would be no repercussions.

After all, will the US cut aid to Egypt, which gets as much as Israel for the purpose of keeping the peace between both? For how many countries is US aid more important than the influence in actually relevant issues bought with it for the US? Right. So in this round of the whole kabuki theater, the point goes to the resolution supporters because Trump looks impotent. Effect in the real world: approaching zero (I say approaching because if enough of such nonsense adds up, it will chip away at how serious an actor is taken).

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a conciliatory gesture, the US should send those who voted 'no' a delicious recycled fruitcake (reminiscent of the Paris Climate Accord) along with a charming and whimsical 'get well soon' card for Christmas. Or Three Kings' Day.

It's the thought that counts. Like trading Longoria to the Giants.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
As a Canadian, I am embarassed about my country’s abstention. Apologies to my US friends.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hey, the US has its share of hosers in power, too, eh? Wink

Posts: 107574 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ble-records-n2426008

From 2012-2015, the UN has adopted 97 resolutions specifically criticizing an individual country.

Eighty-three of those have targeted Israel.

U.S. needs to provide some "feedback" to the U.N.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post