SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do You Cook (Recipe Related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do You Cook (Recipe Related) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So the wife and i, along with my daughter I've learned, tend to use recipes more as a guideline than as a rule - unless it's something unique and never made before. We might add or subtract certain ingredients based on taste or, more importantly, just make something based on what's on hand.

Question:
How do you use recipes?

Choices:
To the letter!
Only if I've never tried making a dish before, then they're guidlines.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no depending on the dish
Recipes? What are those?
Pinch of salt on each side of the steak and baked potato - how hard is that to remember?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If it's baking, then to the letter - baking is much less forgiving than cooking.
With cooking, changes to suit your personal taste are fair game.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
just make something based on what's on hand.

These are some of the best meals.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm an engineer so measuring is therapeutic to me, but I also like optimizing. I'll make it the first time to the letter, and then I'll start adjusting which means measuring & documenting so it's repeatable. For example, my chili recipe has notes all over it.

I inherited 2 of my grandmother's recipes which are full of add x ingredient until it turns this color then add y ingredient until it turns this color. Also, I suspect that it leaves off a few details such as whether or not to drain, and whether or not to cook covered. It's fun cooking grandma's recipes, but to be honest I'm not there yet on one of them (taste is spot on, but texture and appearance is wrong).

The opposite end of the spectrum is a high school friend became a vegetarian in college. Her kids school has a chili lunch, she finds a recipe on-line, proceeds to substitute nearly every ingredient despite never having made chili before, and does not taste testing due to her vegetarianism. It would be an understatement that she received a lot of negative feedback (e.g. I don't know what this is but it isn't chili) from the kids, teacher, and other parents.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Cooking is an art, baking is a science.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Great quote!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
If it's baking, then to the letter - baking is much less forgiving than cooking.
With cooking, changes to suit your personal taste are fair game.

^^^^ This 100% ^^^^

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most definitely.
I'm a pretty decent cook, but I'm no baker.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

The original quote I remember was that baking is chemistry.. which it is. Mine has improved since I went to weight based ingredients rather than volume.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I voted sometimes yes and sometimes no.
We ( My wife and Myself ) Usually follow a Recipe to the T The first time we make a dish

Posts: 1600 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
First time I follow to the letter, then adjust thereafter.

For pizza dough, I follow the recipe to the letter, by weight, then, once it turns out right, I figure out the volume measurements and use those.

I find doing it by weight to be a hassle.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:

Most definitely.
I'm a pretty decent cook, but I'm no baker.

This and this ^^^

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I tend to follow everything to the extreme when first doing a recipe. I can't stand internet reviews where they don't and then leave a review after listing all the things they changed.
But then they aren't reviewing the recipe.

Then, if it's a recipe I like, consistency and being able to repeat them is important.

For example, when making pizza sauce or pasta sauce, there's only one brand of canned tomatoes I will use. Just listing "32 oz. crushed tomatoes" doesn't cut it.
Different sources/brands of chili powder for chili bothers me.

I could go on but I sound pretty out there all ready. Big Grin
I guess I know what I want and I want to make sure the results are the same each time.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work as a chef at a catering company.

For things that I have not made before and have no understanding of, I will read about 5 -10 recipes and try to understand the "theory" of what is going on....you have things on the way right, things on the way left, odd ball additions and weird ingredients.

In there somewhere is the sweet spot for the dish. Possibly blending two or three to come up with the "right one " for what I am trying to accomplish.

Posts: 206 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ This is more like how I do it. I know what ingredients I like and don't. I read multiple, adapt to the ingredients I like and find out what is consistent with all. Process and ratios. If you can figure out that part, tweaking the ingredients won't hurt one bit. For example, I will always substitute fresh herbs, garlic, and onion if dried/powdered is called for.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually to the letter, then if it's a good recipe, I'll adjust as I see fit. For beginner/unfamiliar cooks, I tell them to follow to the letter as they haven't developed a familiar sense of taste; as you become comfortable with ingredients and how they react to one another, then adjust. It's one thing to add a spice that kicks-up the heat level but, another thing to understand how to thicken a sauce, give it more depth or, replacing a herb.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as guidelines, even for first time, though if it is the first time I'm really close to the recipe. I typically look at a few different ones for the dish to get a sense of the main ingredients (and main flavor profiles) and more importantly ratios.

We watch a lot of Food Network shows for entertainment, I gotta say it has made me a way better cook. After hearing pro chef critiques and tips a few thousand times over the years, stuff sinks in.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Like many, I don't bake, but you really have to know what you are doing to bake freestyle.

With cooking, I use recipes as a go-by, unless the dish is very unfamiliar to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I concur with the baking above - I'll follow the recipe on the first round.

All other cooking - I'll look up several recipes for what I'm trying to do and see what ingredients each recipe calls for as well as instructions. Then I'll use what I have to make it work and most of the time things turn out pretty well.

Of course it always helps having teenage boys that'll eat almost anything and not complain.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Marzy don't bake.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post