SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What fasteners do you use for a license plate?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What fasteners do you use for a license plate? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
So I rescued a 2008 4Runner out of Houston ... a Hurricane Harvey vehicle with 100K on the clock.
and of course it has no floor mats but it also has no fasteners for the license plate.

I tried everything in the screw and bolt jar and nothing fit! Everything was either too narrow to grip or too wide to fit. So I had to do a little research and find out what size screw it takes.

Well, it takes a specific size: 6mm x 1.0mm x 12mm

But what to buy? I had no idea there were so many different options.
You can find that size at Lowe's or Home Depot but they are either plain steel or zinc coated steel which will still rust when the zinc coating comes off. And they want a $1 for a little bag of two machine screws!

So I went online and found these at BoltDepot:
Metric flange bolts, Full thread (DIN 6921), Stainless steel 18-8 (A-2-70), 6mm x 1.0mm x 12mm
I bought 100 of them for about .30 apiece.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Prod...s.aspx?product=17544

Question:
What fasteners do you use for a license plate?

Choices:
any screw will do
zinc coated screws don't rust as fast
I prefer bolts over screws
plastic
Stainless steel 18-8 (A-2-70)
license plate? Who needs a license plate?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Why not auto parts stores?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I use stainless 1/4" allen head bolts with nylock backing nuts. Discourages any 'casual' removal.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Yup. They have automotive-specific fasteners that even the local ACE, with about fifty bazillion of those speciality fastener drawers, does not have.

When I restored the original speaker setup on my old 2007 TrailBlazer, which had the Bose system in it, an auto parts store was where I found the missing fasteners I needed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I use stainless so that I don't get rust marks running down the plate.

Your inability to locate the proper hardware is a good example of big box stores running out the little guys that used to have a much larger selection.

Fastenal may have them, as will most of the ACE type hardware stores. Even some of the farm supply stores around here have a better selection that Lowes or Home Depot.

You want to find a place that has an aisle that looks like this. They'll have what you seek. They may even have a drawer labeled "license plate fasteners". Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Most every Ace Hardware or similar place has the specific ones in stock - for both Import and Domestic. I forget the actual thread pitch and size, but it's common and specific.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Yep. Checked that. The auto parts store carries these in the M6-1.0 size:
Dorman - Autograde License Plate Fasteners Kit-M6-1.0 x 10mm,20mm,30mm: $3.49
https://shop.advanceautoparts....CL2*14991%7CL3*15468

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I just put my plates on a new to me 2015 Toyota Rav4. Screws in the holes on the tailgate were rusted so I went to Tractor Supply and bought 4 new 6mm-1.00 hex head bolts. Then went to lowes and found some 6mm-1.00 phillips pan head screws I liked better.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Screws in the holes on the tailgate were rusted so I went to Tractor Supply and bought 4 new 6mm-1.00 hex head bolts. Then went to lowes and found some 6mm-1.00 phillips pan head screws I liked better.

Stainless? Or zinc coated?

This is what I found at Home Depot:
Crown Bolt
M6-1 x 16 mm Bright Zinc MS Round Washer Head Slotted License Plate Bolt (2-Bag) $1.98/bag

-rduckwor

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
m6x1x12 is a standard pitch fastener and common as dirt, just buy a couple in SS at ACE or wherever. No way that runs you more than $0.40, the gas to go there will probably cost more than that...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I use stainless so that I don't get rust marks running down the plate.

Your inability to locate the proper hardware is a good example of big box stores running out the little guys that used to have a much larger selection.

Yep, I agree....

quote:
No way that runs you more than $0.40, the gas to go there will probably cost more than that...

That's what I was thinking, cheap and readily available in Stainless, but that's not what I found.

So I bought a bag of 100 online. Delivered to my door for about $0.30 each. No gas to go there.

Metric flange bolts, Full thread (DIN 6921), Stainless steel 18-8 (A-2), 6mm x 1.0mm x 12mm
https://www.boltdepot.com/Prod...s.aspx?product=17544

They came today and they are pretty nice. I like them better than the screws. High quality 18-8 Stainless steel, won't rust. For use with a 10mm wrench or socket. Fits Honda, Acura, Toyota, others.

Since I have 100 of them, I'm going to Karma a few to someone following this thread who could use a new set of 6mm x 1.0mm x 12mm Metric flange bolts for your car. Let me know if you are interested and I will draw in a couple of days.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chellim1,

-rduckwor

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well that's awesome. I'd like to get rid of the discolored starting to rust ones on my 2 vehicles. These are much better. Thanks for the karma chance.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use whatever came on the vehicle when I bought it. I did replace the fronts on my last truck as some Jack Wad screwed the plated into the front bumper instead of the little plastic trim piece underneath where it was supposed to be.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Hey, Chellim1, I could use a set of those screws to replace the rusty ones on my truck. I'm in for the KARMA, thanks.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Cool karma, I could use a set. My screws are mismatched. One of the repair shops I used to use likely mixed them up when they put their own license plate frame on there. Thanks for the chance.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to your nearest Toyota dealer and ask in the parts department for the correct screws. I have found they will sometimes just give them free.

Posts: 205 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
About the time the factory fasteners are gone I go to electric fence wire. It's a nice improvement over baling wire in that it just doesn't rust.

I've been known to put on airs and use zip ties, but they don't have the staying power of the fence wire.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
About the time the factory fasteners are gone I go to electric fence wire. It's a nice improvement over baling wire in that it just doesn't rust.

I've been known to put on airs and use zip ties, but they don't have the staying power of the fence wire.

Big Grin

When my daughter had a **small** accident in one of my older cars and broke the plate frame, I did use wire!

-rduckwor

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I use stainless torx security screws. The kind with the post in the hole that you need a special wrench for. I get them at the auto parts store. They are usually with the license plate frames.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t vote. There is no option for baling wire.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post