SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed)
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 39

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed) Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
You think the average person really differentiates much between DNA and RNA?

In a way, yes. Most everyone has heard of DNA, to the point that it can be a trigger word. RNA, not really.

Change human DNA: (Karen) OMG!!!
Change human RNA: (Karen) What's RNA? Who cares?

yeah - like how many Registered Nurse Associations are there, where you change that often?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's all fine and dandy until your RNA starts self identifying as DNA.

You want zombies, cuz that how you get zombies.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^You've still got it, Sigmonkey. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Report This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I've already had Covid-19, do I really need to get the vaccine?

Answer from Dr. Stephen Blatt, medical director for infectious diseases at TriHealth:

"Yes. I would recommend that anyone who has already had COVID infection get a vaccine. The reason is that natural infection immunity seems to wear out after two to three months. We are hoping that the vaccine will provide longer lasting immunity. So far, the antibody responses to the vaccine seem to last longer than the antibody responses to natural infection."

Should you get the COVID-19 vaccine if you've already had COVID-19?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Report This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
^^You've still got it, Sigmonkey. Smile

Elon Musk might be looking for Zombies to work at Space-X. Big Grin

ELON MUSK TALKS ABOUT SYNTHETIC mRNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJjai7XDpc

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from work saying we can get it next week if wanted, not mandatory. No thanks!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
First reported issue in Alaska as healthcare worker has allergic reaction similar to the 2 in the UK. No previous issues with allergic reactions. Had to stay overnight in hospital for observation.

Nope. Ain't getting it

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Dumb question: I thought generally, once you catch something viral, you have some inherent immunity. You may catch something similar (ie - a variant which technically is something different; different strain or whatever the technical term is) but you don't really catch the exact same thing.

But it sounds like we can catch the wuflu twice? Our generally accepted natural immunity goes away? Why would that be?

If you supposedly catch it again, how is it confirmed you caught the exact same thing again? And not something different (ie - just normal flu)? Or a different strain / variant?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Our generally accepted natural immunity goes away?

Yes, that’s what has been reported several times (including in this thread).
Why? That I don’t have any idea, and it’s probably true of the experts at this point. Diseases that don’t confer ever-lasting immunity are hardly unknown, though. Here is an article that I found with a quick search that explains some things I didn’t know, including the way some viruses infect us doesn’t generate a strong antibody response.

https://www.livescience.com/wh...felong-immunity.html

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Here is another interesting article from the good folks at MIT. What do you know. Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

https://news.mit.edu/2019/stor...ne-history-skin-1218

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Dumb question: I thought generally, once you catch something viral, you have some inherent immunity. You may catch something similar (ie - a variant which technically is something different; different strain or whatever the technical term is) but you don't really catch the exact same thing.

But it sounds like we can catch the wuflu twice? Our generally accepted natural immunity goes away? Why would that be?

If you supposedly catch it again, how is it confirmed you caught the exact same thing again? And not something different (ie - just normal flu)? Or a different strain / variant?

It’s not a matter of “generally accepted,” unless we accept “heard it from a friend who heard it from” as science.

The human immunosystem does produce antibodies in response to threats; it’s the basis behind vaccination. It’s the basis behind antigen testing to see if you’ve had exposure. The body does produce antibodies, or uses certain cells, to attack internal threats. T cells produce macrophages that consume pathogens. They also attack certain proteins (viruses), and they stimulate B cells to produce proteins referred to as antibodies, which also attack pathogens. The response is to specific threats, so it can b3 said that a “resistance” is created toward those threats.

This does not mean you’re immune. Resistance to a particular protein (virus, pathogen) may be full immunity, resistance to a specific strain or variation, or partial or temporary resistance. Having been exposed to a pathogen does not mean one is immune to it permanently, or temporarily, or is fully resistant. It’s well known that resistance with some pathogens diminishes over time. It’s been well known since early in the present pandemic that resistance as a result of exposure to this virus appears temporary, with a diminishing of evidence of resistance, over time.

The novel coronavirus associated with Covid-19 is not the flu, but a pneumonia Covid-19: Corona Virus Induced Disease, the common name given to NCIP, or Novel Corona Virus Induced Pneumonia), and lends to numerous other conditions, including long term heart, kidney, and other organ damage, as well as lung scarring and long term or permanent respiratory impairment and damage. The politics of downplaying it by calling it the flu are false and dangerous, as is the false assumption of immunity, be it individual or “herd” immunity.

Novel Coronavirus is the protein: Covid-19 is the disease, or general condition (with numerous different signs and symptoms). That terminal end on respirators? Pneumonia.

If you develop signs and symptoms, test positive, and subsequently recover, you may test negative after a period of time, and no longer have signs or symptoms. You may subsequently get it again, with fresh signs and symptoms, including different signs and symptoms, testing positive for it again.

A dangerous assumption is that you don’t have it: you may be a carrier, without experiencing signs or symptoms. You may feel fine, but may be contagious. The person you infect may not be so fortunate. If you have had it and tested positive, it does not mean you are free from getting it again. Presently, any resistance is believed to have at least a 90 day clock, though there is wide variability, and even for those 90 days, it’s mere assumption that you’re resistant. You may also be a carrier in that time, which is why, regardless of whether you’ve tested positive, you should still observe all the precautions, and it will still be strongly recommended that you receive the vaccine.

Yes, you can get it again.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing we are all need to remember is that COVID19 was designed and bred in a bio-lab. It is not a natural virus. COVID went through several years of "gain of function" development in the Bill Gates funded Wuhan Lab. (thanks Bill). COVID was designed to do exactly what it is doing.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well I got it yesterday at the start of my shift. On a plane later this morning south to Arizona which has become the latest hot spot. Still not really excited about being one of the first, but figured with my travel it probably was a good idea. So far nothing to report other than a sore shoulder from the MA burying the needle to the hub in my shoulder.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
When you get a flu shot it takes about two weeks to achieve maximum immunity. Probably any shot for a viral disease would have that interval too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Don’t assume you’re good, once you have the vaccine, and observe all the same precautions whether you have the vaccine or not.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
When you get a flu shot it takes about two weeks to achieve maximum immunity.

According to the one article I found, that’s what’s assumed/predicted for the COVID-19 vaccine.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I would take it even though I know this is how The Walking Dead started.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Yes. Don’t assume you’re good, once you have the vaccine, and observe all the same precautions whether you have the vaccine or not.

Piss on that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Yes, you can get it again.

If that's true, then you would have to have the vaccine regimen on a regular basis as well which they aren't recommending..

So far they've not seen a significant enough difference between current strains that the vaccine won't cover all of them. The same should be true for a convalescent patient as well as antibodies and humoral immunity are developed to the same viral targets, primarily the spike protein, but others as well.

Additionally, even once antibody titers decline, T-cell and B-cell immunity persists. This is true whether you have the vaccine or the virus. For example there are SARS-Cov-1 survivors that still show immunity 17 years later.

This virus is unusual in that it has built in error checking in its replication that makes mutations very rare, which would reinforce the idea that immunity should be long lasting.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post