SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed)
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 39

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed) Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Today? Got the shot. My county (Santa Rosa in NWFL), showed a 31% positivity rate of those tested. That's a hellofa lot higher than 2 months ago.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This thread is about the vaccination, who’s getting it or not, and why or why not.

There is an entire other thread consisting of nearly 700 pages and dating back nearly a year that can be used to air complaints about masks, who’s getting treated or not, the conspiracies that made the disease possible in the first place, the effects of the lockdowns, the supposed fake news regarding the disease, and all the other COVID-19 related topics people want to bitch about. I stopped even opening that thread because the pathetic whining there was so tedious, but it’s the perfect place for it. If there is something to post about the vaccine or vaccinations, please do so here; otherwise not.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, thanks for that!
I’m getting mine Tuesday here in Okaloosa county.
Jupiter, appreciate your response! I know I’m good and I don’t need any friggin cup of soup from Denny’s or anywhere else! Have a great evening!

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Next door neighbors have it currently in their household. Eek

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Report This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
This thread is about the vaccination, who’s getting it or not, and why or why not.

There is an entire other thread consisting of nearly 700 pages and dating back nearly a year that can be used to air complaints about masks, who’s getting treated or not, the conspiracies that made the disease possible in the first place, the effects of the lockdowns, the supposed fake news regarding the disease, and all the other COVID-19 related topics people want to bitch about. I stopped even opening that thread because the pathetic whining there was so tedious, but it’s the perfect place for it. If there is something to post about the vaccine or vaccinations, please do so here; otherwise not.

sigfreund,

If you didn't want people to give you the reasons "why not", you should't have asked.
Unless you're only looking for opinions you agree with. If that's the case then say so.

For many of us, there is plenty of reasons to think twice and not to take this vaccine.
We've posted links from many sources besides the MSM that should make any free thinking Critical thinking person take notice. If you only accept those links from MSM as valid, you should also let us know. We'll try to find something more suitable from CNN or MSNBC.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Report This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Sigfreund, thanks for that!
I’m getting mine Tuesday here in Okaloosa county.
Jupiter, appreciate your response! I know I’m good and I don’t need any friggin cup of soup from Denny’s or anywhere else! Have a great evening!

LOL... ok BOATTRASH1. Fair enough. I wish you the best.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Report This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
sigfreund,

It's a good thread. The BOSS is back and I don't want this thread locked because of any hurt feelings on anyone's part so I'll leave you to it without any further comments.

-- George Orwell

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How is “I've noticed the dead silence from many whenever evidence of massive wide spread overreporting of cases/deaths are discussed” an answer to why or why not someone is taking the vaccine? If it’s simply an indirect way of saying, “I don’t intend to be vaccinated because the actual danger posed by the disease doesn’t warrant it,” fine: Just say that rather than introducing your beliefs about how we’re all being misled by the BS news media.

Or you could have explained that the overreporting of cases was why you objected to being vaccinated and then the point of your comment would have been clear. It wasn’t clear to me, however, because the absolute numbers of people who are sick or dying from the disease is immaterial my decision or the decisions of many other people; it’s like the antigunners who like to point out how it’s more likely that someone will be killed by a gun kept in his house than that they will defend their life with that gun. Even if that claim were true, there is more to the decision to keep and bear arms than how likely I am ever to actually need one.
As it was without that explanation it seemed to be a statement that had no relevance to the purpose of the thread.

But thank you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Only fools rush in. Not necessarily a stooge, but I'm not getting a vaccine for something that barely has an affect on the vast majority of peoples health, especially if there are no long term studies about the risks involved. What are the consequences for big pharma when people start dropping because of the vaccine? It may never happen, but for now I'll take my chances with the Wu Flu. I don't want to jump onto a short term solution that may cause long term effects....

Past vaccine booboo's

They missed the military's Anthrax vaccination debacle that resulted in 85% of those receiving it getting adverse reactions, and many pilots and aircrews leaving the military as a result of it.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've never gotten a flu shot

they're a waste of time - with a 50/50 effectiveness that means you either will or will not get it

the odds are the same if you don't get it - you either will or you won't

as for this flu, I still haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that its necessary for something that has a greater than 99% recovery rate for most people that are in good health and no other conditions

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
as for this flu, I still haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that its necessary for something that has a greater than 99% recovery rate for most people that are in good health and no other conditions

This is where I am as well. If I were in bad shape physically or had an underlying condition that had been shown to enhance the effects of the Chinese virus, I’d consider it but only to hedge my bets. I’m still waiting for an antibody test that’s as quick and available as the nasal swab. I’m fairly certain I had this bug a little over a year ago before it was even revealed to be in the wild.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

they're a waste of time - with a 50/50 effectiveness that means you either will or will not get it

That's not the way the statistic is calculated. The risk of contracting the flu in any given season is not 50/50 and having a 50% effective vaccine doesn't place you on even odds. This is not coin flipping.

As an example: If the unvaccinated risk in a population is 20% in a given year, a 50% effective vaccine would lower your risk to 10%. I don't care if you get vaccines or not, but your statistical analysis is simply incorrect.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
On my way to get mine and the wife’s. We both are in the “danger” zone with age and medical problems.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

That's not the way the statistic is calculated. The risk of contracting the flu in any given season is not 50/50 and having a 50% effective vaccine doesn't place you on even odds. This is not coin flipping.

As an example: If the unvaccinated risk in a population is 20% in a given year, a 50% effective vaccine would lower your risk to 10%. I don't care if you get vaccines or not, but your statistical analysis is simply incorrect.

I was trying to make a point

you will get it or you wont, and with the crap they stuff in your body, you will still get it or you wont

I'd rather not have the crap stuffed in my body

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Many of my close family members are medical professionals, including my daughter who is a physician and who has studied the spread of infectious diseases. The unanimous advice we have received, though probably not needed in my case, is get the damn vaccine as soon as possible. Choose your own path, but I wanted that shot yesterday. It takes two weeks to develop 80% immunity with the first Moderna shot, and you need both in the series to attain 90%+. Warm weather is just a couple months away and this thing thrives in the heat. The mathematical rate of spread is staggering. At age 70, I do not want to be a casualty. I hope enough people get the vaccine, or survive the disease, to add this to list of diseases suppressed by modern medical science. Here's to a better 2021.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Got an e-mail this week that we could sign up for it. I had to think long and hard about it, but I'm getting it this afternoon. A bunch of the other guys have gotten it, no negative reactions yet. Our two local ER docs who I have a ton of respect for both got it, and that's what really pushed me over the edge.

I have a bunch of friends who have gotten the 'Vid, and their reactions have ranged from "didn't even know I was sick, "to "sickest I've ever been, thought I was going to die." I've been out working with the public since day one...If this thing can reduce the chances of bringing the crud home to my family, it's worth whatever risk there might be. I've been vaccinated for everything else (including yellow fever), why not this?

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen reported on here that the vaccines are mrna, but according to Cancer Centers of America, astrazenica uses what it calls a "harmless" version of the virus. That seems to be possibly dangerous if someone already has a weakened immune system and may not know it.....and we all know that big pharma would never lie, right? Eek

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my first shot today after my primary care doctor called yesterday and let me know where and when to get the vaccine. I'm definitely in the zone age wise and have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, B cell type which probably comes from Agent Orange exposure.

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
I've seen reported on here that the vaccines are mrna, but according to Cancer Centers of America, astrazenica uses what it calls a "harmless" version of the virus. That seems to be possibly dangerous if someone already has a weakened immune system and may not know it.....and we all know that big pharma would never lie, right? Eek

A lot of old vaccines (and some current ones) used "attenuated live virus" (a weakened version of the virus being vaccinated against) or "inactivated virus" (a "dead" version of the virus being vaccinated against). An attenuated virus vaccine has a small chance of causing an actual infection. With either type, if the production is screwed up, you could conceivably end up with regular old virus instead of attenuated or inactivated virus and cause an actual infection.

The AstraZeneca vaccine is something else. It uses an adenovirus (one of the families of viruses lumped together as "the common cold") from chimpanzees that has been modified to produce the same surface proteins (bits on the outside of the virus) that the immune system uses to recognize COVID.

The chimpanzee adenovirus that is used is not able to reproduce in the human body (so despite having it in your body after being vaccinated, you aren't really infected with it and you can't infect someone else with it). The modified viruses just sort of sit there until your immune system learns to recognize the surface proteins and eats them.

The use of a live virus makes it easy to produce the vaccine.

I suppose there's some extremely remote possibility of the chimpanzee adenovirus causing a problem, but there is zero chance of contracting COVID from the vaccine.

It's sort of vaguely the same idea as the original smallpox vaccine, which was just exposing people to cowpox, a different virus that didn't really make people sick but provided immunity to smallpox. It's not quite the same because people can actually get cowpox infections, and because the cross-immunity is not naturally occurring but the result of artificial modification of the chimpanzee adenovirus.

A quick Google seems to indicate that data so far is that the AstraZeneca chimp adenovirus-based vaccine is not as effective at preventing COVID infection as the mRNA-based Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, if I was in China and offered SinoVac, I would be careful...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post