SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed)
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 39

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed) Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Our Agency is giving out the Moderna version. I'm still on the fence however on a personal level I care for my 94 YO Grandfather which is making me consider getting it for his sake.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:

hundreds of millions, billions actually, have had the flu vaccine over a period of years and it is clearly proven safe, with minimal to no weird side effects
I had annual flu shots for decades. Four years ago, while at my primary care doctor's office for routine check-up, he asked me whether I had received my annual flu shot. I told him "not yet," I usually stopped in at a minute clinic type place for the shot, and intended to do just that, later in the month. Doc said, "Why don't I have my nurse give you the shot, as long as you're here today?"

Fine with me, one-stop shopping, save me some time and avoid an extra trip to the minute clinic.

Six weeks later I was hit, hard, with Guillain Barré Syndrome. A week in hospital, IVIG transfusions, and when released from hospital I had to use a walker. Months of Physical Therapy to graduate to a cane. Getting out of hospital I could barely use my hands to grasp things. I had to ask strangers to unfasten the fuel cap on my vehicle when I stopped for gas. It was awkward to hold a pen; my handwriting looked like that of a spastic second grader. Even now, four years later, my fingers and toes are still numb, my balance is way off, and I have not recovered full former strength in my hands.

The doctor said that this disease, which causes a persons own immune system to destroy parts of the nerve sheath, is extremely rare and can occur in a very tiny portion of the population as a side effect of flu vaccine. The other side of that coin is, without the flu vaccine, if I had contracted flu, I could very well have had the same situation.

Right now, the doc has me on a "no fly" list for flu and pneumonia vaccines.

Will I get The Virus vaccine? Probably, I'm two days short of my 84th birthday right now and the doc indicates that the risks of The Virus are worse than the risks of adverse reaction to the vaccine, but I want to think this through, discuss it in detail with him, and tread carefully.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Make sure, you have a quick talk with HaShem, as well...

Things this past year have prevented me from coming to make a visit. But it is not because I don't want to.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Got my first injection Friday the 8th. No problem so far. Yea and I am 81.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Got round one today. Sore arm which was to be expected but that's it.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

But I don’t mind at all letting it get out into the population for a bit before it’s my turn.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Report This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
I'm 79 and also in higher risk group. I'm getting mine on Thursday.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 765 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Report This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I had mine about 26 hours ago. No issues. Standard soreness at injection site. I guess the lady didn't think it was funny when I said I didn't even feel the chip go in. Smile

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
I had mine about 26 hours ago. No issues. Standard soreness at injection site. I guess the lady didn't think it was funny when I said I didn't even feel the chip go in. Smile

That right there is funny Big Grin

I do appreciate the membership taking time to report the effects of the shot.

I'm nervous about it but will probably get it. I'm sure my employer is going to push us hard to do it plus I live with an immune compromised individual.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
WW II Korea, RVN veteran 94 Yr old jujst got 1st Moderna shot 4 hours ago. Thus far no side effects, no problem driving 32 mile round trip

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Got both my Pfizer shots, just a sore arm after both.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Report This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Fred Levin dies this week from covid-19. Rumors are he was exposed by his granddaughter. This guy was known as the "Godfather" as he had politicians and judges in his pocket. He beat back lung cancer but was killed by the flu.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the shot this afternoon, 2nd shot due twenty days from todays date.

posted Hide Post
My Department (if I ever get back to work) is going to offer them in a month or so. I'm not sure what the delay is but I've been thinking I will likely get it. At first I thought "no way" but my mom is in the elderly at risk group and getting the first shot friday, so it if it helps me protect her even more then I will get it.
They are using the Pfizer vaccine here.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone asked about countries requiring a vaccination, and someone else commented on whether it's "right." It really doesn't matter if it's "right," if you go to those countries (which I do, frequently). Countries requiring proof of vaccination (may not be complete):

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belize, Benin, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Cocos Island, Colombia, Comoros Islands, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic, Kinshasha), Costa Rica, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macau, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nambia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Norfolk Island, Oman, Pakistan, Palau Islands, Panama, Papua New guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Sumatra, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, timor, Togo, Trinidad, Tobago, Tunesia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, Uraguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Wallis and Futuna, Yemen, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

On the other end of the scale, at home, my wife messaged me to say that vaccinations are available. As I'm in high priority groups for several reasons, I should try to sign up. I went through the process on a state registry, including providing insurance information (so much for free to everyone), and immediately found that there is zero chance of signing up to get it. Every day that I'm home, it's not available anywhere in the state.

Same for getting tested. It would be nice, coming home from being on the road for 30-45 days, for my wife to know I've been tested. Good luck with that. Here, they take registrations for tests out to 72 hours, and those are always booked.

We have 35 guys out with Covid right now, quarrantined all over the world. I just talked to a friend who isn't quarrantined, but who just lost three close friends, all of whom died with Covid pneumonia (each of whom ended up on a ventilator, recovered, and was about to be discharged when they crashed and were gone within 3-4 hours). He was a big covid denier. Not now.

I will certainly take the vaccine if I can get it, but that may take some time. Given the constant exposure, it would be nice to get it, and I'm quite sure it will be required soon enough for many places I go and for travel, entry, etc.

I was just confined to quarters at NAS Sigonella this past week; the get-out-of-jail card was a negative test (which I didn't have), and I'm sure eventually for many places will be proof of vaccination.

NAS Sigonella just got it's first shipment of vaccine, incidentally. You're welcome, Sigonella.

I will absolutely get vaccinated when it's available. I can bring it and help supply it...just can't get in line to get it, apparently. Getting the vaccine also grounds me for 48 hours, which will be a problem going forward, given the workload since the whole Covid debacle got underway.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
sns3guppy: NAS Sigonella you say? A Day's Inn Pub nearby? Looks like fun there but why is the menu in Italian? Smile

On a somber note, the story of your friend who lost three close friends is tragic. Hope you can get vaccinated soon.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Quite a saga, sns3guppy. I am beginning to wonder if the percentage of people who are willing to take the vaccination is increasing. As the number who get it increases the fears should decrease.
Thanks for some insights on how things are for people in different situations, and best wishes for you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
A Day's Inn Pub nearby? Looks like fun there but why is the menu in Italian? Smile

To quote Steve Martin, "It's like these people have a different word for everything."

Djibouti was nice, this time of year...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Early this morning I received an email advising me of a new MyChart message. It was an invitation to schedule my first COVID-19 shot.

I did that. My appointment is for 10:45 AM today. I did the e-check-in too. All from my iPhone – quick and easy.

MyChart is wonderful!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
WW II Korea, RVN veteran 94 Yr old jujst got 1st Moderna shot 4 hours ago. Thus far no side effects, no problem driving 32 mile round trip

Jesus dude, the virus should probably be getting vaccinated from you. Smile

Take care.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post