SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed)
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 39

Closed Poll Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
This original purpose of the “Will you take it” poll has pretty much run its course. I decided to change the title of the topic in hopes of continuing the discussion as it has evolved to: Why you did or didn’t if you’ve had the opportunity, in addition to why you will or won’t if you haven’t. The discussions of what side effects people are experiencing after being vaccinated are informative as well.

Editing a poll post resets the responses, so if anyone wonders what the replies were before the reset, a total of 406 votes had been cast with 195 (48%) yes, and 211 (52%) no. Those percentages have remained relatively constant for a long time. There was an initial surge of no votes when the question was whether one would take the vaccine nearly three months ago. The yes vote percentage has increased markedly since then, but additional information has accumulated and general attitudes have changed. Whatever validity this sort of poll with its prior self-selected responses may have had at one time has therefore faded to insignificance.

I am still interested in discussions about the vaccinations themselves and people’s attitudes at this point. Again, however, please keep the discussion civil. “I do not believe there has been adequate testing of the vaccines” is rational and useful; “Only brain-washed fools are taking these shots” is not.

Thanks for all the discussion thus far.

Question:
Have you taken the vaccination, or do you intend to when you can?

Choices:
Yes.
No.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Yes. Wil I actively seek it out No. I get physical every year so I'm sure the opportunity will arise.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would, but I’m not going to bust a gut trying to get one. If it was as easy as getting a flu shot, no question. I’m not worried about it not being safe. Like any vaccine, some people will have issues, but I expect that it will be a relatively small group, similar to the yearly flu vaccine. I’m in a high risk group anyway, and if I do get the ‘rona, I probably won’t make it. YMMV.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but this is brand new and already there've been at least two reports of anaphylactic shock resulting from Pfizer's vaccine.

For those who aren't aware of it: Anaphylaxis can kill you. It nearly did my wife.

You can damn betcha that, if and when I do choose to get one of these vaccinations, I'll have an epinephrine injector (EpiPen) close to hand.

My wife will almost certainly never get it. She checks every damn bingo square for it being contraindicated.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No. But not because I'm anti-vaccine... I will most likely get it eventually.

No matter the industry, I dislike being an early adopter/unofficial beta tester for brand new things. This applies to a wide variety of things, from car designs, to electronics like cell phones, to software, to even medicine*. Instead, I prefer to wait and let them find and resolve most of the inevitable early bugs and problems before I adopt whatever it is in a later, more well-understood and better/safer/more reliable iteration.

So that's my approach to this brand new, hot-off-the-press COVID vaccine as well.

(*Medical caveat: If I was dying of a terminal disease, standard treatment had proven ineffective, and there was a new experimental treatment available that might work where more well-established treatments had failed, I would likely try it. That is not the case with this vaccine, though.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
The last time I got one of those type of shots, it was for the flu, and the company where I worked arranged to have medical personnel come to the facility and give out the free shots.

And sure enough I got the flu, as did more than half of my department. Decided then that I would not get another one. And have not, and have not been sick one time in all these years.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
A definite no.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And a reminder of the subject of this poll:

“Would you take a COVID-19 vaccine shot if it were available today?”

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.
Since I've already had Covid-19, do I really need to get the vaccine? Isn't the vaccine just causing your body to react like it had the virus?

Some say it will boost my immunity even more. I haven't seen any study results on that. Who gets a flu shot a month after getting the flu?

I'm up for changing my mind, but don't see a point in getting the vaccine.

Posts: 83 | Location: TN | Registered: May 18, 2002Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
No. Absolutely not. Primarily because it will not protect me any better than my immune system can, but secondly because I frankly don't trust it. But again, it makes no sense to me for young healthy people to take it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Nope, still have antibodies as of 12/8. Knowing what I know about this virus and immunology, I am unlikely to get reinfected despite what the media Chicken Littles say.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll wait and see what my Doc says. I've known him for many years and trust him. He is extremely conservative.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'll wait and see what my Doc says. I've known him for many years and trust him. He is extremely conservative.

Geez, I wish ours was. We like him, but he seems quick to recommend all manner of medication at the drop of a hat.

Much as we like him, I fear we may have to go in search of a new doc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
As a follow up, if you do take it, will you seek out a specific brand out of the 3 that may be available ?

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
today?

No, not today. I'll wait awhile and see what the side-effects are.
From what I'm hearing, I would not recommend it for child-bearing age women.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23944 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Nope, and I don't plan to ever.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
As a follow up, if you do take it, will you seek out a specific brand out of the 3 that may be available ?

I am leaning toward the Moderna, if given a choice.
The last information I heard was that the Pfizer-BioNTech requires ultra cold (–70°) storage and as a consequence the county I’m in won’t even order it because we don’t have that capability. In addition, the P-B version requires two inoculations, but the Moderna only one (I’ve been told).

posted Hide Post
Moderna is two. Second four weeks after first

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Moderna is two. Second four weeks after first

Okay, thanks. I did not confirm what I was told.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Nope, still have antibodies as of 12/8. Knowing what I know about this virus and immunology, I am unlikely to get reinfected despite what the media Chicken Littles say.

To this point, here is an article with a substantial section devoted to immunity to C19:

https://www.justfacts.com/news...d-19_essential_facts

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post