SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical Wiring Question: Weird Thin Ground Wire?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical Wiring Question: Weird Thin Ground Wire? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have an enclosed porch on my house that appears to have been added sometime after the house was built in 1910. There's a live, but old and ungrounded receptacle out there that I wanted to change out to a GFI receptacle. I got the circuit shut off and pulled the receptacle out, inside the box there was a ground wire but tucked back in there and not hooked up. It was attached inside to the metal box. Look at how thin that is? The wiring appears to be maybe something from the 60's, it's a NM cable with a silvery outer sheath and the white and black wires appear to be 12 gauge but that crazy thin ground wire bothers me. Can I still use this for a GFI receptacle? I traced the run back to the panel and it's not long at all, maybe 12 to 15 feet.

The house has 200 amp service and a new really fat service connection out to the pole with a new panel, meter etc when we bought this place 3 years ago. There are the telltale signs of the original K&T wiring all over but that's all been removed. What I see running everywhere is maybe 50% of this NM with the silvery sheath and 50% brand new yellow 12-2 NM.

Am I ok to remove this old receptacle and put in a GFI one and use that thin ground wire?

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Yes. It would be good if it's actually connected, but you could put a GFI in there even if it's not though.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that ground wire. And, from the sound of it, "connected to the box" your receptacle was picking up its ground from the ears contacting the box. The box was grounded.

You should be fine to replace that with a GFi outlet.

That said, I am not a licensed electrician but do much of my own household electrical fix/replace work.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why would they make the ground wire such a smaller gauge in this old NM cable? I know the modern stuff is all the same gauge, right?

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Yes. Some of the old stuff was manufactured in that fashion. Hell of a lot better than two wire. A lot of times I've seen those wires cut off or wrapped around a clamp screw with two wire receptacle installed. Like yours.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It is common (especially in larger wire sizes) to run the ground at least one size smaller than the hot and the neutral. Not an electrician, but I've seen electricians I respect do it and I've seen it on plans I got through the lead building inspector, so I assume it is to code.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Why would they make the ground wire such a smaller gauge in this old NM cable? I know the modern stuff is all the same gauge, right?

Not necessarily. When I recently did some wiring, I used some 10/2, 8/2, and some 6/2. All of the ground wires were 10 gauge in those wires.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well, it was all for nothing after all. Confused

I got the GFI receptacle wired back up and tried to put in back the the box and it was so tight that the side screws were rubbing right onto the metal box sides. A big no-go.

I guess since this IS a covered porch I could get away with using a non-GFI receptacle but I didn't want to do that.

I think I'll just pull that cable out of there, it seems like it is it's own run and maybe re route it to the side of the house where I wanted to put an outdoor receptacle anyway.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I once lived in a house without the ground in the socket. Was a real pain. Adapters were supposed to ground to the center box screw, but they probably were not the safest either.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You could install a GFIC breaker.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I pulled the cable out and the outer sheath was really crumbly and fragile Eek which makes me worry about all the rest of it in my house. I guess if I'm not screwing with it and it's just sitting, it should be ok theoretically?

I'll get help and run some new 12-2 right from the panel to a spot where I can take it outside which is what I wanted to accomplish anyway as a project.

posted Hide Post
For future reference , A GFCI receptacle does not need a ground wire to function . That small ground wire in your box was a non issue .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
For future reference , A GFCI receptacle does not need a ground wire to function . That small ground wire in your box was a non issue .

^^^ Absolutely true!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I pulled the cable out and the outer sheath was really crumbly and fragile Eek which makes me worry about all the rest of it in my house. I guess if I'm not screwing with it and it's just sitting, it should be ok theoretically?

I'll get help and run some new 12-2 right from the panel to a spot where I can take it outside which is what I wanted to accomplish anyway as a project.

You probably have what I call "rag wire" cloth wiring with tar and paint around it. It's fine, don't worry.

As selogic said a ground is not required in any way for a GFI to work. It measures the power going out on the hot and returning on the neutral. If that is off, even a tiny fraction then some of the neutral wire power is gong somewhere other than returning to the panel, and it will trip.

The ground only needs to be large enough to trip the circuit breaker incase of a hot/neutral fault, it was quite common in ragwire for it to be sized smaller than the conductors.

As far as the GFI touching the metal box, that is perfectly fine. The screws should be recessed in from the outlet so it's physically impossible for them to short to the box. Take the outlet out and put a straight edge against the plastic and verify for yourself this. If for some reason you got an oddball GFI that the screws would touch, then buy a different brand.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have also made a wrap of tape around the receptacle to protect the screws from rubbing the sides of the metal box .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

You probably have what I call "rag wire" cloth wiring with tar and paint around it. It's fine, don't worry.

I think I have a couple pieces of that in my basement, it's black and pretty thick but the stuff I just pulled looks exactly like this (pic from internet) but the lettering on mine is green and it says "HATFLEX" I believe: