SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Local (to me) manufacturer introduces new product, and “social media has issue: “Duluth Pack social media post raises eyebrows, ire“
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local (to me) manufacturer introduces new product, and “social media has issue: “Duluth Pack social media post raises eyebrows, ire“ Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
Linky

I have some of their products, and they are first-rate. This particular product is not for me, but just *funny* to see a Facebook post induce the vapors in some people.

Duluth Pack, the Twin Ports outfitter known for 125 years of handcrafted pack-making, paddled into choppy waters on social media Tuesday, when it posted what some viewers saw as a provocative photo to promote a new conceal-and-carry product.

The post appeared on the company’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages and showed a close-up of a handgun being withdrawn from a canvas satchel.

"A new way to exercise your right to carry," the post states.

When contacted by the News Tribune on Wednesday, the owner of the Duluth-based manufacturer of canvas bags and outdoor gear and clothing declined to address the outcry.

"We don't want to make any comment," owner Tom Sega said.

Debates flared in the comment sections under the product photo. Gun-control proponents admonished the ad, while enthusiasts applauded the company for introducing a new option to its line of gun-related products, which already include other conceal-and-carry bags and handbags. Others said they didn't object to the product, but questioned the imagery.

The back-and-forth was familiar to anyone associated with the swift and sometimes volatile reactions on social media.

"You've lost me as a customer," said one person.

"Thank you for designing a high quality conceal carry bag," said another who claimed to be the owner of one of the company's larger gun-toting products for more than 30 years.

Twitter reactions seemed to be prevailingly critical, while the other mediums included more widespread opinions from along the spectrum of gun debate and gun ownership.

The newly introduced $225 satchel joins a line of gun-related Duluth Pack accessories — some designed for day-to-day use and others for sport shooting, including rifle cases and rifle-carrying backpacks.

Long valued for its sturdy product construction and lifetime guarantees, Duluth Pack is in the midst of an unprecedented string of commercial successes — from its products appearing on music tours to becoming the question to an answer on the game show "Jeopardy!" Most recently, it had its No. 4 Original Duluth Pack featured prominently throughout the blockbuster movie "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle."

Duluth Pack is a frequent marketer on social media. The conceal-and-carry post was not yet close to being among the company's most viewed or "liked" posts, according to data across the sites. But the response was unusual in terms of the number of comments, which were rising into the hundreds Wednesday when tallied across all media.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Fellow Duluthian here, born and raised.

This is good to see!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pack, and a good picture!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Provocative how? I’m confused.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Is this their first concealed carry product? If not, why the outrage from the gun grabbers?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Is this their first concealed carry product? If not, why the outrage from the gun grabbers?

I buy their products and to the best of my knowledge, yes this is their first product marketed to the Conceal/Carry folks.

Duluth as a city is liberal on the side of being full commie. It is far from the safe little city I grew up in during the 90's. Since I left in, city hall dedicated a WHOLE FREEKING hillside to "affordable housing" and the Chicago/Detroit folks moved right in. A damn shame.

I've left positive feedback on their Facebook and website....products are expensive, but fantastic quality.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, to the pissing leftists I say, suck it up, buttercup.

From time to time, I mention the following story, and now seems kind of appropriate. I was visiting a friend who lived near Little Five Points. This was in the 1990s, during the AWB. I found a G19 magazine at a pawn shop in the area that day and I left it on my friend's end table while we went out for dinner. When we returned, my friend's roommate was there and he really wanted to know who owned the Glock magazine. When I told him it was mine, he proceeded to lecture me about the evils of high capacity magazines and about the danger to society of firearms in general. Sure, whatever.

Maybe a month or so later, my friend asked me to pick up his new water heater for him. I had a truck and he did not. Early one Saturday morning, I went over to his place and picked up his roommate. We went to this plumbing supply place off of Moreland Avenue, somewhere around Kirkland IIRC. Not the best or safest area of Atlanta. It wasn't even 10 o'clock in the morning and there were a group of guys standing on the street corner, passing around a bottle in a paper bag. Roomie gets out of my truck, sees these guys, sticks his head back into the cab of my truck and asks me if I have "that Glock" with me.

Yeah, I've got "that Glock" with me, you shameless hypocrite. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
They make great bags, bought my son a back pack when he was in Third grade, He used it all through school, college (7yrs) doctorate. Now to the gym and work, carryon for flights. Twenty years of almost daily service. Saw him using it today coming home from the gym. Incredible purchase.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Definitely not their first concealed carry product...as far as “why the outrage” (assuming the question was not rhetorical), aside from obvious, predictable political viewpoints, is that Duluth is a ***very*** liberal city— very liberal—think Berkely or San Francisco, and I think it really grinds the gears of those on the left that a locally owned manufacturing company has the chutzpah to actually produce and advertise a product that is antithetical to their beliefs.

Like their heads will explode if they to rationalize it.

ETA: I see a fellow native beat me to it!

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many of the invaders from Detroit / Chicago stick around after their first Duluth winter?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Definitely not their first concealed carry product...as far as “why the outrage” (assuming the question was not rhetorical), aside from obvious, predictable political viewpoints, is that Duluth is a ***very*** liberal city— very liberal—think Berkely or San Francisco, and I think it really grinds the gears of those on the left that a locally owned manufacturing company has the chutzpah to actually produce and advertise a product that is antithetical to their beliefs.

Like their heads will explode if they to rationalize it.

ETA: I see a fellow native beat me to it!

The school district just took Huck Finn and To Kill A Mockingbird out of the reading cirriculim. It's being called Little California around here. Sales tax is near 9% now I believe and goes to fund all the latest liberal causes.
Surprisingly Trump won this part of the state. The large metro Mpls./St. Paul tilts the scales heavily democrat.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
The article is stirring up shit where there isn't any. I went to fakebook and looked at it to see what the whining was about.

There are currently 624 responses to the article. I didn't look at them all but it looks like somewhere between 45 and 60 responses are negative. The rest either "like" or "love" the product.

The whiners are along the line of "school shootings", and "it looks like someone is going to open fire on a crowd", etc.

It's all in their head. The photo just shows someone accessing their firearm from the pack.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Others said they didn't object to the product, but questioned the imagery.

What does that mean? A guy in a suit shouldn't protect himself? What?

quote:
..."You've lost me as a customer," said one person. ...
Probably said by someone who doesn't have $225.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
If it didn't look too much like a pocketbook, I'd buy one - just to piss off some lefties.

DP does make good products. I must have over a dozen of their duffle bags.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duluth Pack is a frequent marketer on social media.
Live by social media - die by social media!

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Comments are quite comical as if it is some revelation that a gun could be concealed in an opaque container.

Sure, average hood rat is going to drop $225 on a flashy bag to stash their Jennings or Raven.

I posted a pic of a brown paper bag and called for action to boycott them “for the children”...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post