SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gen Mattis - not a warrior monk, just another globalist never-Trump asshoe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen Mattis - not a warrior monk, just another globalist never-Trump asshoe Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
I used to like Mattis. Thought he was an awesome combat leader, might have been legendary Sec Def. I have friends that worked for him in Iraq - great stories.

But now - truth seems to be he’s repping for whomever signs his paycheck, and if he can kick Trump in the ass on the way by, all the better. Fuck him and the Chinese that rode in on him....

Mattis failed to disclose role with global consultant tied to China in bombshell column

By Rowan Scarborough - The Washington Times - Wednesday, November 25, 2020

A column this week by former Defense Secretary James N. Mattis that blasted President Trump’s “America First” theme did not disclose that Mr. Mattis holds a senior position at the Cohen Group, a firm that dedicates itself to making business deals in China.

Mr. Trump’s get-tough approach toward China — tariffs and prohibitions on Beijing’s cyberproducts — is generally counter to the Cohen Group’s objective of bringing Chinese and U.S. companies together in multimillion dollar deals.

The Cohen Group, founded by former Defense Secretary William Cohen and staffed by a number of former high-ranking government and military leaders, has two of its four overseas offices in China.

Mr. Mattis’ Nov. 23 ForeignAffairs.com column was co-authored with three other national security experts, but it was his name that gave it weight in the news media. The article’s thoughts resemble the Obama administration’s China approach. It could be a window into how presumptive President-elect Joseph R. Biden pulls back from Mr. Trump’s hardline.

Mr. Mattis is identified in his column as a former defense secretary and fellow at the Hoover Institution, but not as a senior counselor at the Cohen Group global consulting firm in Washington.

In the column, Mr. Mattis rejects Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s campaign of rallying Asian countries against China’s drive for dominance. Mr. Mattis does not mention China’s declared economic war against U.S. ally Australia in retaliation for Canberra calling for an international investigation into the origins of the coronavirus.

China has yet to explain and document exactly how the pandemic began in Wuhan, where the virus was first discovered in 2019.

Mr. Mattis wrote, in a broad indictment of Mr. Trump’s foreign policy: “Crucially, the United States should not press countries to choose outright between the two powers. A ‘with us or against us’ approach plays to China’s advantage, because the economic prosperity of U.S. allies and partners hinges on strong trade and investment relationships with Beijing. Rather than treating countries as pawns in a great-power competition, a better approach would emphasize common codes of behavior and encourage states to publicly promulgate a vision for their country’s sovereign future and the types of partnerships they need to pursue it.

“It would also expand the cooperative space in which all countries supporting a rules-based order can work together to advance shared interests. Cooperation across different ideological systems is difficult but necessary, and there should be opportunities to cooperate with China in areas of overlapping interests, such as pandemic response, climate change and nuclear security.”

Mr. Mattis urged Mr. Biden to remove “America First” from all foreign policies.

The Cohen Group announced Mr. Mattis’ hiring in September 2019 as a “senior counselor,” calling him a “national treasure.” His photo is prominently featured on its home page. “China is a market of enormous opportunity and complexity,” the firm states. “The Cohen Group’s (TCG) China Practice has a solid record of success with professionals in offices in Beijing, Tianjin and Washington, D.C.

“Building upon decades of experience, on-the-ground management expertise, and longtime personal and professional relationships throughout the region, TCG’s China Practice helps companies succeed in the Chinese market. TCG enables Fortune 500 companies, as well as small- and medium-sized enterprises, to achieve their commercial goals in China through tailored government, business and media relations strategies.”

Citing a recent “success,” the website said, “TCG facilitated discussions between a global pharmaceutical company and relevant Chinese government entities regarding the regulatory framework for a high-profile drug, resulting in a mutually beneficial solution for both the company and the Chinese healthcare community.”
Mr. Mattis, a highly decorated and respected Marine Corps four-star general who oversaw all Middle East troops as Central Command head, resigned as Mr. Trump’s defense secretary to protest planned troop withdrawals from Syria.

American forces are backing Syrian rebels fighting Islamic State terrorists. Mr. Trump argues he smashed the ISIS hold on Syrian territory. About 500 American troops remain in Syria.
Robert Gates, a Republican and President Barack Obama’s first defense secretary, has praised Mr. Trump’s foreign policy.

“At least he has not started any new wars,” Mr. Gates said on “Meet the Press.” “And he has robustly funded the military. … I thought his challenging China was about time.” Mr. Gates has said that the Western powers welcomed China into the family of nations some 20 years ago and China reacted by violating trade rules to gain advantages.

Led by Mr. Pompeo, the Trump administration unleashed a series of actions against China’s drive to lead the world. It uses tariffs to rein in what it calls unfair trade practices and calls out China for the illegal theft of U.S. inventions and personal identities and for rampant spying in colleges, businesses and government.
The FBI says it opened numerous counter-intelligence probes into Chinese nationals. It estimates that China has broken into computer networks and stolen the personal information of half the American population.

The Trump administration shut down a Chinese consulate in Houston, calling it nothing more than an intelligence collection hub. Mr. Trump has blocked U.S. businesses from doing deals with Chinese companies supporting the People’s Liberation Army. It has called China’s telecommunications giant Huawei a spying tool. He has required China’s propaganda arms in the U.S. to register as foreign agents rather than continue operations as journalists.

Mr. Pompeo and congressional Republicans have accused China of covering up the coronavirus outbreak by telling the world initially that it was not contagious as travelers arrived in the U.S. and Europe where the virus went on to infect millions.

As vice president Mr. Biden was the Obama administration’s point man on China while his son, Hunter, engaged in networking with Chinese billionaires. He eventually worked out multimillion-dollar deals for himself and uncle James Biden.

A Senate Republican report documented the flow of cash based on Treasury Department suspicious activity reports (SARS) filed by lending institutions because they suspected illegality such as money laundering. In 2011, Mr. Biden delivered a speech in China as Hunter was making business contacts there, promising to integrate China into American life.

“In order to cement this robust partnership, we have to go beyond close ties between Washington and Beijing, which we’re working on every day, go beyond it to include all levels of government, go beyond it to include classrooms, and laboratories, authentic fields and boardrooms.”

Mr. Biden returned to China in 2013 with Hunter onboard Air Force 2.

https://www.washingtontimes.co...s-role-consultant-t/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: feersum dreadnaught,

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wow. How the mighty have fallen. The man should be embarrassed for himself.

And, yeah: Thread title. Definitely verboten.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Trump wouldn't let him go to war, so he turned on him. I used to have respect for the SOB. Not anymore.

By not starting new conflicts in the world, and by shutting down current ones, a lot of pockets got lighter in the process, including friends of Mattis.

Trump thought he was getting someone honorable for Sec of Def, and Mattis thought he was going to work for a chump that will see the world his way. The guy deserved to get fired.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Cohen a rino, not strong on defense. Rumor has it that he and Kerry are actually the same person.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Finding out what a scumbag Mattis is was tough for me. He used to be a Marine’s Marine.

I remember the backlash that came out when Trump fired him. Places like the Duffle Blog and OAF Nation blasted DJT as being a buffoon.

As usual, he was right and everybody else didn’t know what Jim Mattis has become.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mattis turned out to be just another swamp dweller.

Trump's actually achieved miracles with his leadership and policies. Arab nations recognizing Isreal. Relative peace in the middle east- as peaceful as that place can be. After the crimson kenyans disastrous policies Trump is a genius.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Most of the pentagon is loaded with bureaucrats, in highly decorated uniforms. In the corporate world, they call them empty suits.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
I actually read his book and taking him at his word he seemed to care about the men/women under him. I give him points for that.

It also was apparent to me that he felt that any one above him (elected or not) who disagreed with him was wrong.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
In his book, he talked about how much he liked Biden on a personal and professional level. No.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
In his book, he talked about how much he liked Biden on a personal and professional level. No.

That could be true, I read the book 12-16 mouths ago don't and remember. Still have the and will check the notes and response to your question.

Harry S. Truman

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
quote:

That could be true, I read the book 12-16 mouths ago don't and remember. Still have the and will check the notes and response to your question.

I'm not sure how to respond. I don't have a question. I made a statement. Black and white. This is just one excerpt.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/28...ump-s-leadership-ski

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
quote:

I'm not sure how to respond. I don't have a question. I made a statement. Black and white. This is just one excerpt.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/28...ump-s-leadership-ski

Looking at the book, going by the notes, yes he talks about Biden on page 206 "Prime minister Milki is highly untrustworthy, Mr. Vice-president," I said

Page 207 " I liked the Vice-President, after dinner, he kidded me about my command. "Know why you're at Centcom?. he teased. " Because no else was dumb enough to take the job"

Page 210 I won't type it all out but it's less than flattery.

It's good to re-read books.

Harry S. Truman

posted Hide Post
That's disappointing.

Like others, I held Mattis in high regard, his reputation proceeded him as a field grade officer, then as a general officer. His constant clashes with #44 and his minions made me smile and provided hope there was still some warfighters in senior positions. Even when things went bad for him as SecDef, I chalked it up to him not being very good at the political/Beltway-wars, along with not being able to get along with DJT's 'unique' personality.

This is unfortunate...

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That was hard for me to hear, as a marine. I regret buying the Mattis AR lowers from PSA a couple of years ago. I really need to purge them from my inventory. One has been built into a nice pistol-brace AR.

America First!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Matti's has been a scumbag since 2001 when he left an sf team to die following a friendly fire accident. He flat out refused to send help being Camp Rhino was the closest when he knew there was wounded and dead Americans. I was disappointed when Trump picked Mattis but didn't say anything since I knew many held him in high regard. It's not the most well known story, but not some secret either. I have considered him a coward and just a worthless politician ever since.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
He is a NWO CFR member. I would expect NO less outta his globalist ass.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I was quite disappointed to read many of his recent viewpoints. Previously, he was someone I think I would have very much enjoyed spending an afternoon with discussing various subjects. Sadly, he now joins Adm. McRaven who also seems to have executed a smart left face since his retirement.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
From Mad Dog to lap dog.
Ugh.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The swamp has dwellers of all stripe and color. Mattis has turned out to be just another denizen.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The swamp has dwellers of all stripe and color. Mattis has turned out to be just another denizen.

truth

what a shameful sell-out

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post