SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP info appreciated
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP info appreciated Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
These tests are usually inaccurate as the sleep techs crank up the pressure to achieve a triple Zero result.
zero: Apneas, Zero Hyponeas and Zero Snores.
They also get to go home earlier.
There are home testings available, where you sleep in your own bed.
Also If you know you have some sort of issue, simply get an automatic Cpap (APAP) and the unit will read your algorithms and adjust through-out the nite.
I'm At your service...

I have NEW and Demo units available.

Had my study done at UCLA sleep lab. I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that based on the data my doc shared with me, they did a thorough job performing the test.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the continued info. After the 1st few posts, I realized I'm completely off base. I assumed the CPAP machine was like a sleep number bed or a TENS unit - make adjustments until your "sweet spot" is found. (Kind of like a previous poster mentioned in the automatic CPAP machine)

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Just chiming in here to say I've dealt with downtownv on this stuff. He's solid, deal with confidence.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

Had my study done at UCLA sleep lab. I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that based on the data my doc shared with me, they did a thorough job performing the test.

My recommendation is to go to a hospital affiliated lab, the private practice ones are wham bam.
So you guys know insurance and Medicare require a 30 day test in which the sd card proves you used it as they avoid paying for these and the patient isn't compliant, which is a good thing. The bad thing is when a lab gives the patient wrong or high pressures and the person really does need it, but can't be compliant under the overly high settings....
Feels like you have a hurricane blasting in your face.

THAT's why I like the APAPS, they compensate for the errors made by the sleep labs.

There's about a dozen members here that got one from me and every one of them were happy with the units, I got them.

Also beware many insurances pay a small amount and your out of pocket could be more than i could get you the unit for. (This occurs a lot!)

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:Had my study done at UCLA sleep lab. I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that based on the data my doc shared with me, they did a thorough job performing the test.
My recommendation is to got to a hospital affiliated lab, the private practice ones are wham bam.
So you guys know insurance and Medicare require a 30 day test in which the sd card proves you used it as they avoid paying for these and the patient isn't compliant, which is a good thing. The bad thing is when a lab gives the patient wrong or high pressures and the person really does need it, but can't be compliant under the overly high settings....
Feels like you have a hurricane blasting in your face.

THAT's why I like the APAPS, they compensate for the errors made by the sleep labs.

There's about a dozen members here that got one from me and every one of them were happy with the units, I got them.

Also beware many insurances pay a small amount and your out of pocket could be more than i could get you the unit for. (This occurs a lot!)
I had my original sleep study done at a hospital's sleep lab, and it was the best night of sleep I had had in a year. I looked forward to receiving my BiPAP, and with the exception of 3 days (lost nasal pillow on multi-state business trip) I've been 100% compliant for 10+ years.

A doctor friend of mine recently pointed out another reason for getting a sleep study done at a hospital's sleep clinic - because of their video cameras, heart monitors, blood oxygen meter, sensors for restless legs, etc. they can diagnose if you have something going on other than sleep apnea that needs medical attention. The home sleep study will miss that.

I'll also echo what downtownv said about APAPs being the best route. Earlier this year, he helped me tweak the range on my Auto BiPAP and it made a world of difference in my sleep quality and my quality of life while awake.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Don't the modern units automatically adjust pressure, anyway?

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
You can still buy CPAP and BiPAP without the auto feature that automatically adjusts to the ideal pressure to keep your Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI) within spec. For example, none of theses $349 or less units have the auto feature (to be fair, the $349 PR System One REMStar 60 Series Pro CPAP Machine with Bluetooth has a 30 day auto mode, but isn't a true auto machine that is in auto mode for years)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:

No. That's the higher end models

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I avoided going to a freestanding sleep lab to get mine done, opting instead to go with the hospital affiliated version.

FWIW (and downtownv can weigh in on this one), I recently went to a Respironics heated/humidified Dreamstation with a Pilairo Q nasal pillars headset, and this is like magic compared to my old system. Super quiet, easy to pack, and I can even snuggle up with Mrs. Slabby without blowing exhaled air on the back of her neck (the main requirement I gave the folks when choosing equipment).

When you start looking, make a note to check into this setup!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm one of those happy customers. I'm also one of those guys who got raped by the insurance company for the unit and the first set of "required" replacement equipment six months later (new mask, hose, harness, etc.) Email me if you want specifics.

Get the sleep study first, try all the different options they will have for you to try out (mask vs. nose pillows for example), then buy your gear from downtownv.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What is a nose pillow

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
What is a nose pillow

CPAP Nose Pillows

Works for some folks, especially those who are new to the CPAP scene and/or feel claustrophobic in a full mask. I went straight to the mask since I was used to wearing one.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Just chiming in here to say I've dealt with downtownv on this stuff. He's solid, deal with confidence.

vinnybass, Tailhook 84
Thanks for the recommendations! Cool

We have one member here who bought the new portable Respironics dream station for his trip to Europe (He's still there) I look forward to hearing how it worked out. Initially he tried it at home and said it was amazingly quiet...

Lord Vaalic, AKA "Up you're nose with a rubber hose" as Vinnie Barbarino so prophetically predicted in the earl 70's Big Grin

My email is in my profile if I can give you any guidance or assistance.

Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post