SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prop A in Missouri
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prop A in Missouri Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Voting yes.
Cliff, when did you move to KCMO? Didn't you live in NOVA?? Or am I just outta touch?
I was thinking the same thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies. Especially Kevin for expanded thoughts beyond talking points.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
voted yes

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Michigan went R-T-W several years ago.

I had a discussion with a Union retiree friend of over fifty years about this. He called it Union busting. I called it the way to assure the members that the Union actually represented it's members.

Personal side, only once in my working years did I work in a Union environment. Unimpressed. I know you cannot judge all by one but I would hope that one was a aberration and not the normal.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Voting yes.

Cliff, when did you move to KCMO? Didn't you live in NOVA?? Or am I just outta touch?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. I was wondering if I was going crazy. Maybe we need a Sigforum based "Where's Cliff" game

Retired after 32 years working for the big V on April 6th. Immediately started packing for the move back home to Missouri because of Mothers surgery & Mrs Cliff impending employment. 2 PACKED 26FT Uhauls towing my truck & her car, our 2 dogs & a wife. Cousin drove second uhaul. Arrived in KC on Mothers Day after a 3 day trip. I70 all the way. Surgery went well, job for Mrs Cliff still up in the air. Blessed to be back home with my family after 40 plus years on the east coast. Biggest thing I have to decide on now is how many cups of coffee I want in the morning. Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Looks like prop a did not pass. I.e. unions won.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Yep. Congrats unions. You snuck your bullshit that we've already voted against in 2016 onto a nothing mid-term primary election in 18 so you can still strong-arm people who don't want their money to go to the DNC to give their money to the DNC. Good job.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:

With union workers constituting less than 10% of the workforce in Missouri, that was somewhat surprising. The unions did spend some money, though. There were lots of 'Vote No on Prop A' signs in yards.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

With union workers constituting less than 10% of the workforce in Missouri, that was somewhat surprising. The unions did spend some money, though. There were lots of 'Vote No on Prop A' signs in yards.

More than 15 million, or about 10 million more than the other side.

Thats a desperate move to try and stop the bleeding.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

Yes, im a bit surprised by it as well even without a dog in the hunt.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Didn't just lose. They lost by a 2-1 margin. I know nothing of Missouri politics, but have to say I didn't expect RtW to lose so badly given that it passed in the legislature a couple of times.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The Unions spent over $18 million dollars to defeat this... which could not be overcome by the paltry little sum spent in favor of Prop A.

National and local labor unions spent millions of dollars to defeat Proposition A, hoping to reverse the momentum against them from a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling and the adoption of similar laws limiting labor powers in other historically strong union states.

Officials at the AFL-CIO called the Missouri vote "a truly historic moment."

"Today Missouri gave hope to workers across the nation," said Missouri AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Jake Hummel, who is a Democratic state senator.

The referendum marked the first chance for the public to weigh in on union powers since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in late June that public sector employees cannot be compelled to pay fees to unions. Missouri's ballot measure essentially would have extended that to all private sector employees, mirroring laws that already exist in 27 other states.

At issue are so-called fair-share fees, which are less than full dues but are intended to cover unions' nonpolitical costs such as collective bargaining. Unions say it's fair for people to pay the fees, because federal law requires them to represent even those employees who don't join. But supporters of right-to-work laws counter that people should have the right to accept a job without being required to pay a union.

Former Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens signed a right-to-work bill passed by the Republican-led Legislature in February 2017. It was set to take effect as law on Aug. 28. But before that could happen, union organizers submitted enough petition signatures to suspend its implementation pending a statewide referendum.

Right-to-work supporters had been banking on Greitens to help draw money and attention to their campaign. But Greitens resigned amid scandal on June 1 and disappeared from the public spotlight.

Unions powered an opposition effort that had spent more than $15 million as of late July, well over three times as much as various groups that support right-to-work. Advertisements generally have focused on economics, with supporters claiming right-to-work would lead to more jobs and opponents claiming it would drive down wages.

The opposition argument was persuasive with voter Laura Kuhn, of Chesterfield, who said she cast her ballot against right-to-work.

"The unions are important for Missouri. It would cut the unions and hurt wages for sure," she said.

Columbia resident Joy Cook said she had previously been a union member but voted in favor of Proposition A.

"Unions should have to be good enough for the employees to want to pay into them," she said. "Any organization where you just get people giving you money, you're going to be a little lax."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mis...ly_mail&uh_test=1_04

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe explain the Props for the rest of the class. Confused

I shit you now, I got a 20 percent pay raise in 2018. It allowed me to keep my house after the divorce... It was not just life changing, but life SAVING.

I suspect you meant "I shit you not..."?

Also, in CA; as an employee of a high school district my wife was, essentially, forced to join the teacher's union and pay into their retirement plan. As she is an interpreter, she also has social security taken out (for teachers and administrators, they only have CALPERS retirement taken out). She could have "opted out" of the union however, she would have her pay docked none the less for union dues and the retirement plan.

I believe CALPERS and the California Teacher's Union is rather scared of fallout from the recent SCOTUS ruling.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post