SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prop A in Missouri
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prop A in Missouri Login/Join 
posted
Yea or nay? And what's your reasoning? Any thoughts beyond the talking points that both sides put forth?

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I will be voting yes. My position is unpopular even with my right wing friends.

Personally i feel if employees are able to opt out of membership it forces the union to do the best possible job for the worker, not the union.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Yes. Although my dad was a teamster in the 1970’s, unions have become an out of control arm of the democrat party.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I’ll be voting yes. Freedom is choice. No choice equals no freedom.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
"Yes" here as well.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Yes. It's not even close.

The "No" side has a bunch of celebs with SAG cards and so on, saying how it's a measure to bust up unions . . . but prop A doesn't do any of that. All RTW says is that you can't force somebody who doesn't want to be in or pay dues to be in or pay.

And if that's "busting" unions - not forcing non members to pay - then I say bust 'em up. Tough shit sweet-heart. Welcome to the way the other 90% of the world has to live.

If somebody wants to have a union, and make their members pay, more power to them. But if the only way you can survive is by forcing people who want nothing to do with it to pay, then you're in for a long uphill battle with the voting population. Especially in Missouri.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes was my instinctive vote, but I wanted to see if there was something I was missing. I live in a traditionally blue collar neighborhood, and of course see lots of "No" yard signs, as you would expect. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I’ll be voting yes. Freedom is choice. No choice equals no freedom.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a big Yes on A sign in my yard and just got back from placing them at my list of polling places.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voting Yes to hopefully bring new business to Missouri. I am not optimistic on a win. The no posters have been up early and everywhere.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe explain the Props for the rest of the class. Confused

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Absolutely yes.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Prop A is right to work.
It's poorly worded on the ballot, IMO.

Do the people of the state of Missouri want to adopt Senate Bill 19 ("Right-to-Work") as passed by the general assembly in 2017, which prohibits as a condition of employment the forced membership in a labor organization (union) or forced payments of dues in full or pro-rata (fair-share); make any activity which violates employees' rights illegal and ineffective; allow legal remedies for anyone injured as a result of another person violating or threatening to violate employees' rights; and which shall not apply to union agreements entered into before the effective date of Senate Bill 19?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Let me try to explain it, and give a personal example.

Basically it is what is poorly labled "Right to Work" which while i understand the branding, is stupid babble. It is also dubbed "Right to work for less" by it's opponents.

Beyond any stupid babble or branding, it is basically the idea that a Union CANNOT force a worker to join the union, simply based upon the fact that they were hired.

Meaning if you, were hired to bag groceries at the local grocery store, you would not be forced to join the local "grocery union 101" in order to work for the store. You of course, would have the OPTION to join said union, but you could not be compelled to do so as a condition of employment.

Same with ANY other Union, you of course have your option to join if you wish, but you cannot be forced to.

I honestly can't see another legal or moral option. It is as some have put it, a freedom question. As an employee, it should be my goddamn choice if i want to join the union or not. And if the union is good, the sure, i'll join.

Let me bring up a personal example. I'm breaking with my own personal union here in my vote. I am a member of a public union.

Here in MO, public unions already fall under so called "right to work" laws. It is illegal to force a public employee to join the union and illegal to force him to pay dues anyway. So basically, since i have been a member (for 10 years now) MY union has ALREADY been part of such rules/laws.

It has NOT weakened my union. It honestly allowed us to destroy our previous ineffective union, and replace it with a good one.

When i first started this job, our union was awful. They didn't do a goddamn thing, yet if the dues weren't paid you were out on your ass. So guess what??? People quit it!!! And they folded.

Then a few years later (admittedly conditions got really bad) we reformed. We formed with a GREAT core group who were accountable. They were accountable to the actual EMPLOYEE, as opposed to the Union body.

This past year, we received a MASSIVE pay raise.

I shit you now, I got a 20 percent pay raise in 2018. It allowed me to keep my house after the divorce... It was not just life changing, but life SAVING.

All done not only under "right to work" laws but done MOSTLY because we were able to toss out the worthless union leaders who were more concerned about their own bullshit, and giving us lip service.

There is a HUGE reason that the opposition to this is from the actual union bosses, because it makes them accountable to their workers. They know eventually the union workers will realize that they are getting screwed (look at every union contract recently and look at how they screw over the new guys to pad the old guys) and they realize that with this law they will be tossed out.

vote yes on Prop A. Make unions actually care about workers, as opposed to caring about the entity that is the "Union"

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a horse in this race, but would vote yes, and I belong to a union. The one I am in works this way exactly; you are not compelled to join in any way, shape or form. In fact, some union benefits are available for non-paying members.

Not all unions are evil mob based entities. Mine has proven invaluable in keeping crooked managers in check from outright violating federal law.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You may belong to a union that treats you good and has responsible leaders, but where do you think your money goes when it is time to donate to political campaigns?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Voting yes.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Already voted "yes" about an hour ago.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Voting yes.

Cliff, when did you move to KCMO? Didn't you live in NOVA?? Or am I just outta touch?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Voting yes.

Cliff, when did you move to KCMO? Didn't you live in NOVA?? Or am I just outta touch?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. I was wondering if I was going crazy. Maybe we need a Sigforum based "Where's Cliff" game

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post