SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Ford Expedition owners on the forum?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Ford Expedition owners on the forum? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Going to purchase a full size suv soon. That means I'm looking at the Yukon, Suburban and Expedition for the most part.
I'm leaning towards the Expedition as it has the most cargo space out of the 3 and it seems to have the the best option package on a lower level trim package. Specifically the Expedition Limited.

Only thing that concerns me is the only engine option is the 3.5 Eco Boost. I don't think I will be pulling a trailer very often and when I do it will only be a 6X10 foot aluminum trailer with a UTV side by side loaded on it.

Seems to me that's still a pretty big vehicle being pushed by a 3.5 liter 6 cylinder.

Interested in hearing owner opinions on this combinations performance.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Is it the twin turbo eco-boost V-6? If so, is got plenty of power.

I don't own it, but have driven one a few times and it was never want for more power. And if you drive conservatively, you'll see a big difference at the pumps.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forced induction is a game changer. check out the output numbers on that motor, very impressive.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
Is it the twin turbo eco-boost V-6? If so, is got plenty of power.

I don't own it, but have driven one a few times and it was never want for more power. And if you drive conservatively, you'll see a big difference at the pumps.

Yep twin turbo. My son just told me his buddy has one in a Ford E350 and pulls a 29 foot trailer loaded with 4 snowmobiles out to Montana and Idaho a couple times a year with no problem.
That's way more than what I would ever need to pull. Sounds good enough for me.

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a new model coming out for 2018 for the Ford Expediton, it will have the aluminum body and diesel will be an option. However you can get great deals on the 2017s right now.

I have a 2008 Eddie Bauer with 5.4L v8 but have rented the new ones with the 3.5L ecoboost and it has A LOT more power than mine. The ecoboost is a monster (and very quiet), it has something like 350HP and 425lbs of torque, but it has a ton of torque as low as 1500 rpms. It will tow what you want to tow no problem.

I like the Expedition over the Chevy products, because the 3rd row seating folds completely flat into the floor and the 2nd row almost flat.

I've had a new 2000.2003,2005, and 2008 which I bought when my lease was up and still have. They've all been very good vehicles with next to no issues. I have 93k miles on mine now and have changed 1 ac blower motor, 1 starter, 2 window regulators. and the heater core hoses. Everything works perfectly except the 6 disc cd changer is wonky from lack of use. They drive nice and are a good vehicle, I;m waiting for the new body style to come out and will probably get a 2018 as Im growing tired of this one, but in december will have had it 10 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My little 2.7 EcoBoost F150 tows our sail of a cargo trailer without a problem. Loaded it's probably 3k lbs.
Also, the Limited is about the top trim on the F150, I imagine similar on the Expedition. If you really want the V8, a Lariat or Platinum, if available.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
While not the same motor we have an 07 EL Eddie Bauer with the 5.4L. The wife and I both really enjoy it and when shopping again we'll be looking for another Expedition.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
The 3.5 is a beast. It will beat the entire chevy lineup in a drag race or boat pull. I have this motor in my current truck and it will be in my next truck. I used to love GMC, but he ford engines are far superior. The 3.5 will impress.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For that level of $$$ how about a Crew Cab truck with a camper shell over the bed? You have seating for 6, the bed for gear & can tow most anything.
Just an idea.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always you guys have the answers! The Expedition will be a business purchase as on occasion we may use it to haul a number of cases of product to one of our distributors. Wink

I thought about a crew cab pick up but the wife is against another pick up as I already have a 04 Avalanche.

She is already saying she doesn't want to drive such a big vehicle she thinks something along the lines of a Acadia or Terrain.

I just tell her trucks are like smokers, campers or garages. Figure out how big of a one will work for you and then go to the next size up! Smile

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like a vehicle mix, sizes & date range. The larger is used to tow or transporting a handful of people. The smaller is used more often and solo to two people, whatever.

The Avalanche may be reliable, but has a mini bed & seems big for what it provides. If you already have a smallish vehicle how about converting the 04 Avalanche into something newer?

Depending on miles & use the Avalanche could be traded off. Just an idea.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
If I could make a suggestion, look at the Expedition EL version. It's more along the lines of the Suburban/Yukon XL size range and with the second and third rows folded it essentially has the cargo space of a 6.5' bed pickup.

The 3.5 Eco particularly in the 15+ models has way more than enough giddy up to move that big beast around. That's why they replaced that old dog 5.4 with it.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I like a vehicle mix, sizes & date range. The larger is used to tow or transporting a handful of people. The smaller is used more often and solo to two people, whatever.

The Avalanche may be reliable, but has a mini bed & seems big for what it provides. If you already have a smallish vehicle how about converting the 04 Avalanche into something newer?

Depending on miles & use the Avalanche could be traded off. Just an idea.

The Avalanche is a keeper. Has 144k on it but is as quiet as a mouse going down the road. It is starting to crop up with a few bug a boos like the fuel gauge is off and the heated seats work intermittently. Even with that being said it would still draw top $ around here as does any 4X4 that runs and starts.

We have a 09 Subaru Forester we will be selling off. I really liked it at first but some things about I have found annoying. Ergonomics, comfort on drives longer than a hour and spending an annoying amount of time fueling it up due to a small tank and not so good gas mileage.
The symmetrical all wheel drive is top shelf. It is a sure footed as a mountain goat on bad road conditions but it has it's drawbacks as well.
Road noise and feel and having to change all 4 tires if you get a unrepairable flat on one of them.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
144k, 13+ years, salted roads? Yeah, you may get a few more years & miles out of it, but nothing lasts forever.

posted Hide Post
I have the full size Exped with the V-6. I have pulled double jet ski trailer, 10x14 cargo trailer, bass boats. It is my go to for pulling anything, it has the low end torque to really make a difference. It is the best tow vehicle I have ever had, (F250- Ford, close second, and two Yukon XL's, far better)

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I've got my eye on the '18 models.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

Ditto. Love our 08 Limited, only 53k. Used for trips only. No real reason to trade other than to get the new design.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:

Ditto. Love our 08 Limited, only 53k. Used for trips only. No real reason to trade other than to get the new design.

That's where I'm at, Mines a 2008 Eddie Bauer with 93k miles and my daily driver. It's been good to me and still drives very nice, but waiting to get the new body style as I'm just wanting something new.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too. The aluminum body and tech upgrades have me interested. I'm especially interested in the 3.5L Eco Boost. I test-drove an Explorer Sport with one a couple of years ago and was very impressed with the power and performance.

But Mrs. 'Hook absolutely will not let go of her pristine 2001 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with only 96K miles that she bought new. Her: "Why should I give up my perfect vehicle that's paid for and exactly what I want?"

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:

Same.

If interest rates were the same as in 2015, I would have traded my 16 F250 in on a newer one. Maybe. I sort of like having the last steel superduty.

I've got a fusion that was supposed to be an explorer, and we're eying the new excursion as a replacement or possibly an addition. Really interested in the diesel. Initially we were under the impression that the engine an driveline would be the same as my F250...but now it's looking more like it'll be the baby diesel engine.

Routinely even with the F250, picking up a family at the airport (a 6 hour round trip) necessitates either going alone or taking 2 vehicles. Expedition would solve that. We're also entering the days of sports team driving (daughter routinely has meets and matches in places that are 2-3 hours away). I'd rather be the one driving my daughter and her teammates places in winter. I don't trust other parents to drive my daughter around in winter. I see a lot of older FWD mini-vans without studded tires. They don't fare well against moose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post