SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found a crack in our garbage disposal.....you know what that means???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a crack in our garbage disposal.....you know what that means??? Login/Join 
posted
WASTE KANG TIME!!!

I currently have an Insinkerator 1/3 HP model installed. Looking at the options, I'm thinking 1/2 to 3/4 HP Waste King. Question though, I'm used to the bolt on attachment point. Mine currently has that and the one I helped my dad install when I was little was the same. Waste King also shows an "easy install" connection. What does everyone prefer? Seems the 3 bolt would be more secure, but maybe those with experience can chime in if they have had any issues with the easy install model.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the Easy Install method and it has worked great. I also went with the 1HP; the wife has finally gotten used to the sink moving when the disposal is operating.;}

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If the collar is fine and its looks do not bother you, an Insinkerator will secure right to it.

The Waste Kang I installed had a plastic collar which was a little funky. The waste pipe was a little off center, and the Kang could not handle a wonky pipe.

I'm on the phone with a plumber right now 30+ years, and he never heard of Waste King. He said he's stick with ISE brand. Insinkerator.

Here's my choice:

InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP Household Garbage Disposer

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Alaska, my 1/3 hp in sink aerator died, and I replaced with the 1 hp Waste King 9980.

It had the 3 bolt securing system which would have mated up with the n sink aerator's already mounted in the sink. I bought the replacement for it and some plumber's putty, and I'm glad I did as the existing one had rust and cracks.

The 1 hp Waste Kang was quieter than the 1/3 hp in sink aerator.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
In May I replaced my Fiancee's 1/2 HP Insinkerator with the Waste King Legend Series 1/2 HP with the EZ mount (A whole $77 on Amazon). About a 20 minute install tops. Took me longer to get the old one off than it did to put the new one in.

It's quieter than the unit it replaced and she's been quite happy with it so far.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm on the phone with a plumber right now 30+ years, and he never heard of Waste King

Alleged plumber.... Big Grin did you check Angies List run a background check on the guy, call the state license board, must be an impostor...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm the only one on this forum who has had a tough time with a Kang. The waste pipe was not in the right spot and it was pulling the Kang over to the side. The connection between the Kang and the collar on the sink would not stop leaking because it was not square. Plus the collar on the one the customer supplied was plastic. Me, I like all metal. On my disposal collars and vehicles.

One experience does not define a product, true. The supply house does not carry them, but that means nothing.

Da'plumber, he signed my apprentice card in '89, and my application to take the master test in '95. Never met anyone else who can drink 18 beers every night, chain smoke every night, and still work a full day afterwards. The toxins building up in his body could bind sand into cement.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
but maybe those with experience can chime in if they have had any issues with the easy install model.

The unit is heavy to hold with one hand. I ended up using a auto scissor jack to support the unit during final installation. Put a little bit of lubricant on the collar for the final twist and lock. It is unreasonable to expect a replacement disposal to not require some new pipes.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
WASTE KING!!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
WASTE KING!!!

Noob. Razz

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I bought one and they recalled it. I got the replacement but I've been traveling for work the past few weeks. For the money, I like the Kang. And I find her to be much quieter than the insinkerater she replaced.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Found a crack in our garbage disposal.....you know what that means???

Dude, if you're finding Crack in your disposal, I'd be looking for whomever put it there. Start with the kids, they can't be trusted these days. And then check around your neighborhood for Canadians. They are always guilty of something, aren't they?

Oh, wait a minute... Never mind.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
for Canadians. They are always guilty of something, aren't they?

H&K-Guy

I was thinking the Dutch......

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have an InSinkErator, mainly because my wife's father was VP sales or marketing or something for the kitchen products division of (I can't remember the company that made InSinkErator), so our unit was free. Thirty years and it still works, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If / when it chooses to die, it will be replaced by Waste Kang.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoKer86
posted Hide Post
I installed this back in Jan: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Was...080965&wl13=&veh=sem

The previous owners took the disposal, but left the three bolt mount, after they were foreclosed on. I yanked everything out and got the waste king and easy mount in very easily. The only true pain was self inflicted. I flat out refused to return to Lowes for more PVC, big mistake because I spent the next hour or so trying to figure out the puzzle with what I had on hand Big Grin.

www.sanderstactical.com

Posts: 770 | Location: Gallatin, TN | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I had one rust through. Not sure when it happened but I found out when I went to get something under the sink. Everything was all wet. Ran water and nothing happened. Ran water and turned on disposal and water went everywhere.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post