SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The American gun show is in decline
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The American gun show is in decline Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I miss the days when I was in my teens/early twenties where I could walk into a gun show and there would be at least 200 used Remington 870 Wingmasters for a mere $200 and full auto HK's for $1600. However, I was stupid and pissed away the $15K I had saved for a car and to help pay for my college education...talk about the rate of return on an investment in full autos...if I only knew.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Done with them. Mouth breather quota exceeded. I’ll also pay more to get it now and deal with a local business. I’m not paying $100+ more for the privilege. Haven’t been to one in 5-6 years. That last one was enough for a lifetime. They used to be fun.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like going to the shows just to browse and feel new models of guns. They're always good because you never know what rare used gun you may stumble on. BUT, I think the firearms market is just plain saturated now and the internet has had a large hand in lowering gun sales at shows.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Yep, most of the CA gun shows have been nothing but WW2 Nazi crap and beef jerkey stands for years.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Me and a few of my buddies used to go three or four times a year but nowadays we may go once a year. We had the same experience most all of you have had. I swear, the last show I went to there were more kids running around than you would find at a local daycare. Most were poorly supervised if at all.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to a gun show in probably five or six years. The last one I went to was almost completely devoid of interesting C& stuff save the overpriced, 'rare', Russian reworked and electro penciled K98s. There also seems to be a good supply of M1 carbines with all the post WWII upgrades, including a parkerized finish, being sold as late war production NIB and never issued. Roll Eyes

What I am seeing interistingly enough at my LGS is the return of some C&R guns I haven't seen in 20 or 30 years. Apparently as the older collectors pass on their collections are being sold back to the stores they got them from. Their surviving spouces and children just aren't into it the way they were, and they just want them gone.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
If I didn't get vendor passes I'd never go. Overpriced new guns and little else. thew crowds have dropped to a point I can't see anyone making money at them.

To pay $9.00 and in some a parking fee of another five or six??? Not worth it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post