SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The American gun show is in decline
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The American gun show is in decline Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I haven't been in over a year but the Chantilly Expo always has a lot of tables. Many years ago, I use to have a table but with the cost and idiots mishandling my display, I gave up. One individual took apart an old Browning Auto 22LR and pulled out the trigger assembly and damaged it when he tried to reassembly it due to the pins hitting the receiver. I was talking to someone else and didn't see what he was doing at the time.

While the prices are usually high, I go to look for books and deals on brass, primers, and powder.

There is a dealer from PA, T and T Reloading, that always has good prices on reloading components.

There are several book dealers that I usually buy something from. I recently found "Smith & Wesson Hand Guns" 1st Edition by McHenry & Roper for $75.

Mostly, it is the comradeship of people I have known for some time and only see at gun shows. Several of them have passed on.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I haven't been in over a year but the Chantilly Expo always has a lot of tables. Many years ago, I use to have a table but with the cost and idiots mishandling my display, I gave up. One individual took apart an old Browning Auto 22LR and pulled out the trigger assembly and damaged it when he tried to reassembly it due to the pins hitting the receiver. I was talking to someone else and didn't see what he was doing at the time.

While the prices are usually high, I go to look for books and deals on brass, primers, and powder.

There is a dealer from PA, T and T Reloading, that always has good prices on reloading components.

There are several book dealers that I usually buy something from. I recently found "Smith & Wesson Hand Guns" 1st Edition by McHenry & Roper for $75.

Mostly, it is the comradeship of people I have known for some time and only see at gun shows. Several of them have passed on.

I miss the ones that used to be at Hugo's Skating Rink in Bealeton.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I always have an argument with myself as to whether or not I should go. For the past couple years not going has been the winning argument. When I do go, it will be a disappointment.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The stories I've read here on the forum about gun shows have made me not bother going to one. I've never been one and I don't care to. I don't want to look at junk, over priced junk and marinade in body odor. Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Yeah, but the jerky, cheap jewelry and fart spray shows are big nowadays.
Don't forget the Nazi relics.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
There is nothing at the gun show I can't find cheaper and easier online. The only advantage a gun show has is immediacy which is blunted by the certainty of online gun sale/auction sites. Which brings me to a remedy; gun shows need cheerleaders. That would draw a crowd. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I only go when I need full auto ghost guns or rocket launchers with things that go up.

The one by me is occasionally good, I've gotten a few good deals from dealers that were there. But the decent stuff to shit ratio gets worse and worse.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I only go when I need full auto ghost guns
Yes, the 30caliber magazine clip versions are sweet! Fires it all in half a second!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
we have tables at Fisherville, Chantilly, Richmond and Hampton,
most are good shows, have a dud every now and again,

I don't sell anything new, mostly estates,

keep in mind that the promoter is only concerned about door entry fees and table rent, as in some will rent a table to damn near anyone,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree with the above points, taken individually. I have encountered just about all of them except the muzzle-sweeping. But, overall, I still enjoy going to them, just for a scenic drive and "time-killer." I have gone to two in the past two weeks that were >100 miles away. Dealers at shows are where I have bought most of my guns in recent years, too.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Until they start charging for parking, I'll continue to take my grandson so he can FF the handguns and look at stuff, and I can pick up the 3-for-$10 small scissors, forceps, tweezers, etc.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I haven't gone in quite awhile. I've tired of them even though I do enjoy seeing and handling a wide variety of guns and accessories with no one pressuring me to buy. It's just not worth it anymore.

There's one every month here in Fort Worth. Two main shows cycle through then move on to another north Texas location so they are active just about every month. As already pointed out, there are not many deals except for some of the large brick and morter dealers that have very large display areas. I picked up a NIB Beretta Cheetah 85FS for less than the going internet price but that was very much the exception rather than the rule. I actually think they had the price marked incorrectly because it was way out of line compared to the rest of their stuff.

I also am very turned off by the men and women manning the booths who sit back in plain site and stuff their faces with synthetic cheese nachos and foot long hot dogs with mustard running down their face and then get up still chewing to answer a question someone shouts to them.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Some of my friends and myself still go to some gun shows. I agree there are no "good deals" at gun shows anymore, but the comradery, BS, and lunch with cocktails after, make it a fun time.

Shall second that. It makes for good conversation over lunch, BS, etc., but it may soon come to pass that we will just bypass the more and more disappointing show and go straight to the "burgers and bs" Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I quit going after the overpriced ammo scare. I swear, if Walmart put price tags on ammo, 99% of the ammo for sale would still have the Walmart price tag on. And jeez, you used to be able to make offers on guns that were accepted or countered, nowadays, the prices are firm no matter how overpriced. I also hate third Reich crap, and can barely look at the people schlocking it.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
I miss the ones that used to be at Hugo's Skating Rink in Bealeton.

Seems like it has been at least 15 years or more since I have been to that show. When did they close down?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I went to a local show a few weeks ago, it was the first one I have been to in a couple of years. Prices were high on guns and ammo. I did get a nice dress leather gun belt from a maker out of Vegas for a great deal.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Last time I went was about 10 yrs ago to the Ft. Worth show to check out 870 Police shotguns. Ended buying it online and saved about 150.00.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
The Dallas Arms Collectors Association has five shows per year. I make the 200 mile drive to see at least two of them. You can still find old guns, rare guns and occasionally a good deal on new guns. Texas has many, many shows....this particular show is the only worthwhile venue left IMO.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last several gun shows that I went to it was to buy reloading supplies (powder and primers) to not have to pay hazemat fees. Sure I looked around but prices were way high.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I used to love going to the gun shows but the last few I went to seemed more like flea markets. Also, I agree with Para that there is no muzzle discipline and you see people picking up guns and pointing in to the crowd. But I've noticed this at gun stores too. I'll be looking in a case and a customer 5 feet away looking at a gun will turn and point it right at me or my wife. Wow.
I do miss the old Army-Navy surplus stores too where we would buy cheap stuff for hunting gear.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post