SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The American gun show is in decline
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The American gun show is in decline Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The Wannemacher show in Tulsa, and the Lakeland FL Rifle and Pistol Club Central
Florida Arms Show are the only shows I have been to in the past 15-20 years that are worth a damn. My complaint with so many shows is that deals are often made between dealers before the doors open and everything has been picked over by the time the public gets in. The big shows like Wannemacher and Central Florida are just too big for that and there is a lot of quality stuff left.

My experience has been that the guns are generally very much over priced and I am amused when I hear sellers complain that they are not selling anything. The best deal I ever got at a gun show was in the parking lot.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When I moved here to Arizona I thought to myself - finally I will be able to go to a good gun show.

Wrong

I went to a show at the Pima County Fair Grounds - supposed to be one of the best.

It was full of obsolete and outdated crap - more ballistic nylon junk than I could shake a stick at, WW2 and Korean surplus that reeked of mold, buttons and crap.

The guns were mostly junk, and some of the new stuff was priced at 50% over what I could get at a store. Worn parts, dusty stuff.

I looked at some first aid kits - half of the items in the kits were already expired even before I would have had a chance to use the stuff - expiration dates of 2014 at a 2017 show.

I was seriously disappointed to say the least. And I am sure that the local PD was driving up and down the parking rows recording each and every license plate of everyone who attended. Talk about a surveillance society.

I won't be going back - unless something radically happens but there is only so much German war memorabilia that I can tolerate.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The show part is gone. Now it is just a glorified flea market. I haven't been in a few years. The sad part is it used to be a good place to find and buy and or trade a used firearm. Especially if you are looking for something specific. I bought a Winchester 67 boltbaction a few years ago. The rifle of my childhood Smile

I do agree I would rather just buy at the LGS or on our forum.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have not been to one in many years. It does not help with the stupid waiting period in Illinois either. If I found a firearm I wanted I could not take it home with me anyhow.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Odd. The show in Orlando can be well worth it. Of course, we have those guys who think that an LCP is worth $299, and their no name AR is worth $1k. I guess there's a sucker born every minute.

But the vendor that owns the show, Shoot Straight, often has show specials that are cheaper than internet deals, and also has a fairly large selection of used guns priced appropriately. Two shows ago, they had a nice condition 226 for $550 with two mags, and they will talk price. There are a couple of other vendors in there that have decent prices as well.

In addition, until the latest internet deals on IMI 5.56 and Malaysian 7.62 this show was a good place to pick up commercial reloads at very reasonable prices. There are a number of competitive vendors at the show, either selling new stuff, or commercial reloads for good prices. I routinely find .44 mag for less than $.50/round. I haven't seen it at that price in stores, and it's not easy to find it at that price on the internet with any regularity either.

Yes, there are also fudds, tacti-bros, wannabe SEALS, tazer sellers and morons, but it's a pretty good way to kill a Saturday morning.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to a gun show in several years, because I already have what I want and am not enticed by the new stuff very much. My Handyman works for a local ammo manufacturer and goes to most of the NE Texas shows to assist with sales.

I confess I have bought a couple of guns off the web in the last year or so: an ARM 1911A1 CSP in .45ACP and a Colt Defender 1911 in .45ACP. (I like 1911s!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I go to buy primers and powder, and small parts I keep on hand (e.g., AR-15 detents). Occasionally I stumble on a good deal, but it's damned rare.

The last deal was on S&W Model 10 revolvers a local shop got in a trade with a security firm. This was right after D.C. permitted armed security guards to have semi-auto pistols.

A friend called me and paid for my admission so I could check them out for him. So I tossed some tools in my Versapak and went over, and with the vendor's permission checked a dozen guns (after rejecting a dozen plus on visual grounds), until I found two the were in almost new mechanical condition, but with worn finishes from 25 years in a holster. If they had 750 rounds through each one, I'd be astonished.

We bought them, and my friend graciously let me have the marginally better gun.

That was circa 2009.

Then there was January 2014, where I saw AR-15s being bought for >$5,000, and a single PMag going for $100.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I go to a local show a couple times a year. Usually oldtimers selling off stuff and sometimes you can get a good deal. Mostly I go because a friend usually has a table and we can shoot the bull. Not bad if you want an old marlin or winchester or the like. Not worth a damn if you want anything new.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to a gun show few months ago, it was sad.
Most items were still priced at panic price.
As Para said, knockoffs on top of knockoffs

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the only show I attend anymore is the MVACA Kansas City gun show. Fine collector arms, good milsurp selection, outstanding displays, and great seeing the fellas. The other shows are as has been described by other posters.

And yes, the crowds and the vendors have a lot of grey hair.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only attend one gun show when I can. Every other month. It is a phenomenal show. No jerky. No bull. Everyone has had a shower.

Ohio gun collectors association.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't been to one in a while. Probably a couple of years.

Unless in a new locale, my main purpose was to get reacquainted with friends and assorted acquaintances. From that perspective, it is actually an enjoyable experience. More so if it was either a big, Indiana Jones' government-style warehouse or a quaint tiny show with a handful of tables. One hour tops, and that's it. A welcome distraction. Sort of like target shooting. After some time, for me, it stinks.

Then it becomes an opportunity to check out what's new out there and if the luck-of-the- draw has it, to obtain a good deal. As for me, obtaining a great deal was never in the cards.

As to being swept, considered it a chance to test the sharpness of my peripheral vision. Funny how after a while, the initial uneasiness turns out to become more like second nature.

It is certainly a plus if the establishment provides good food. Lakeland, Florida for instance. Burgers prepared with real cow meat. Then it becomes lunch amidst firearms.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in West Palm Beach area a week ago. I saw a sign for a gun show. Stopped in and wasted $8 admission. It was the smallest, weakest show I have ever attended.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was three years ago the last time I went to one in the Richmond VA area and that one was up in Caroline.

It was sad. I never really liked going to the ones in Richmond anyways so all the years living there I only went to a couple.

Now when we lived in Cols, Ohio (moved Nov 2001) we used to go about every weekend and drive all over the place for them (up to 1.5hrs each waY).

But back then it was $5 admission, great deals to be had and the tables were full of guns not junk.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
The Wannemacher show in Tulsa, and the Lakeland FL Rifle and Pistol Club Central
Florida Arms Show are the only shows I have been to in the past 15-20 years that are worth a damn. My complaint with so many shows is that deals are often made between dealers before the doors open and everything has been picked over by the time the public gets in. The big shows like Wannemacher and Central Florida are just too big for that and there is a lot of quality stuff left.

My experience has been that the guns are generally very much over priced and I am amused when I hear sellers complain that they are not selling anything. The best deal I ever got at a gun show was in the parking lot.

I am with you on the Tulsa show, it is leagues above most shows. The best difference for me are the passionate collectors that have a collection that are there just to show not to sell but will talk your ear off about their bailiwick. It is great from that perspective. I will be attending this spring.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not attended a Gun Show in over a decade. When I was younger I enjoyed the shows as I aged they became nettlesome to the point that I had better things to do with my time.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The decline of the America gun show is similar to the decline of the American Army-Navy store. They used to have some great, real military surplus stuff. Now it’s mostly knockoff crap made in China.

I do miss the GA Arms tables though. I was a good customer when I lived in GA.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
The decline of the America gun show is similar to the decline of the American Army-Navy store. They used to have some great, real military surplus stuff. Now it’s mostly knockoff crap made in China.

I do miss the GA Arms tables though. I was a good customer when I lived in GA.

Funny how some things chart almost exactly the same. Gun shows, surplus stores, guns and accessories that are priced within reason, etc.

All of it long gone, and I don't see the world as any better for it.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I refuse to go to the Goodman shows any longer. $10.00 to get in? screw that.

5 years ago I joined OGCA and I have to tell you, I really enjoy these shows.

No tube socks, jerky or dayglow flea market crap.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Around here there are a couple gun shows semi worth going. They are run by local clubs, WVAC and Albany. Also there are the traveling circus type that are regular waste of time. The two club ones though are where you can find that prewar Model 70 stock, or that decent spotting scope for your pistol box. Or maybe a Pachmayr 1911 magazine.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post