SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The American gun show is in decline
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The American gun show is in decline Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I attended a gun show this morning. I stayed less than an hour. It was not worth the price of admission or even the cost of the gasoline to get to it.

The internet is certainly a key factor. For instance, I can go to CDNN's website, order a firearm, choose my FFL (which is already on file with CDNN), pay for it by CC and not have to interact with anyone until I pick up the firearm from my FFL.
Just about any new production firearm that was at this gun show, I can order online and get a better price, and I don't have to pay a 12 dollar gun show fee to do it.

Muzzle discipline appears to be an outdated concept. I was swept so many times in the 50 or so minutes I was in the building, I stopped counting. I can understand when this happens with some schlub contemplating a purchase, but hayzoos kristo, what is up with the vendors? Oh, yes, I forgot- all of these guns are "unloaded", so...

Used to be, if I could not find anything I wanted, I could always peruse old gun books and magazines. No more.
And let's not forget the mating call of the so-called "stun gun". It's bad enough when there's even one vendor hawking these things (and there is always at least one), but when you put these fools at opposite ends of the room, so that when vendor A sets off his toy BRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAPPPPP, vendor B is required (apparently) to respond in kind. So, there's this back-and-forth electronic mating call. Yeah, I want to listen to that crap all day.

Anyhoo, it's nothing that most of you guys don't already know, but gun shows used to be worthwhile.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember the last one I attended; the last one had more non-firearm related googaw tables than anything else. The guns that were there were wildly overpriced, and even the guys carrying guns around for private sale were asking ridiculous prices.

We used to worry that legislators would kill gun shows; it seems they've died off all on their own.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the jerky, cheap jewelry and fart spray shows are big nowadays.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
It is sad to me, because I have fond memories of going to gun shows with my dad when I was a child. Back then (late 60s through 70s), I really don't recall seeing any of what I would call "new gun dealers". It was overwhelmingly collectors and hobbyists, showing off their collections and looking to improve their collections by buying/selling/trading.

Today, the shows around here are 90% new gun dealers, some with local shops, most with home FFLs. Very little older or interesting guns, and almost no individuals with tables.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I went to my first gun show last year. Also my last.

It was pathetic — the prices were way too high. Even ammo. It was ridiculous.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I think that’s an accurate summary. I quit going when admission rose above $5. Taking my 3 boys and myself hardly seemed worth it knowing, as you do, that I can order and ship to my friendly FFL shop at a better price.

The lack of muzzle discipline really annoys me. More than one person has been shot/killed by an ‘unloaded’ firearm. Even if I watched a weapon be cleared that’s still not permission to sweep me or my kids (or anyone else).

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree.

Question: was it one of the 'big' regional shows? Or more of a 'local' show?

Last time I went to one a couple years ago and it was a big regional show and barely worth the cost of admission.

They definitely seem to pretend the internet doesn't exist in terms of pricing.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I go to my local shows simply because BackWoods Bang Shop has prices comparable to the internet and I always get a great deal. I will literally go to his table, buy something and walk out. I don’t even bother stopping at any other tables.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
In Denver, we have the usual gun shows. It is as you describe. I only go to a regular gun show (Tanner Gun Show) once a year. One of the advantages that they do offer is old guns (sometimes).
But for collector guns I go to the Colorado Gun Collectors Association Gun Show. I sometimes see stuff that is not readily offered on the interweb. And can discover what the dealer might have at home that he did not bring to the show. And I pick up old, out-of-print books.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved the shows, shotguns news, an mil surplus stores of the 80-90’s. The last show I attended was about 10 years ago and felt the same way.

We were out last night for Australia Day celebrations and I mentioned to my good friend (ex-pat Pomm who is now a US citizen) about the Tulsa gun show and it’s enormity. I think we may fly out there for the Autumn show. I think it may be a hoot for use just based on the sheer size alone.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything has become overpriced, and if you are looking for a specialty item, forget about it. Years ago you used to be able to find craftsmen whittling a butt stock from a blank, now you are better off just calling up your smith. Between parking and entry, the local ones run $12 to walk in the door.

PASS

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
In Denver, we have the usual gun shows. It is as you describe. I only go to a regular gun show (Tanner Gun Show) once a year. One of the advantages that they do offer is old guns (sometimes).
But for collector guns I go to the Colorado Gun Collectors Association Gun Show. I sometimes see stuff that is not readily offered on the interweb. And can discover what the dealer might have at home that he did not bring to the show. And I pick up old, out-of-print books.
Usually the Tanner show has nothing new and I usually can do better at the local shops. The Colorado Gun Collectors show on the other hand can be very interesting.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they are huge disappointment. Everything is over priced. $300 a case 9mm, to where you can go into any LGS down the road and buy it for around $200 (or less). Gun show organizers have tried to fill the decline with other sales. Survival/prepper stuff, nazi memorabilia, beanie babies (WTF?????), and even a booth for a realtor selling rural properties at the last one I went to.

I remember when I was a kid, the gun show was the place to be.

Now, not so much.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Attended the Vegas Antique Arms last weekend.

I'd say the age of the average EXHIBITOR and attendee is close to 60 yoa. With both sides slowly dying out.

Saw quite a few younger attendees, but the majority had no idea what they were looking at. And I'm not talking flintlock's , but pre 64 M-70 Winchesters, Colt SAA's , WW2 items , etc. Still modern, but not a Glock, so they can't relate.

Shows in my home state of MT on the decline compared to 10 or especially 20 years back. Same old stuff. Mostly overpriced. Little NEW on the tables, unless it's occasional exhibitors with estate guns, Dad's Collection for sale, etc.

I try to do the big shows here at home; Missoula, Bozeman, Gt Falls and travel to Reno for the Big Reno Shows in Spring and Fall. Need to do Tulsa one day.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And oh, yes- everything has a knockoff, and those knockoffs are sold at flea markets and gun shows.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Some of my friends and myself still go to some gun shows. I agree there are no "good deals" at gun shows anymore, but the comradery, BS, and lunch with cocktails after, make it a fun time.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I agree. I have found that I can see more guns, with less "sweepers" around at a really good gun store. These shows had a lot of allure for me in the beginning, but now they look like flea markets for junk, with a few nice guns thrown in.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Anyhoo, it's nothing that most of you guys don't already know, but gun shows used to be worthwhile.

Yeah, the last gun show I went to was almost 10 years ago. Wow, it seems like it's just yesterday.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attend most of my local gun shows. There is a large signal-to-noise ratio and a lot of chaff to be sorted from the wheat, but still I have managed to pull out a few outstanding deals on guns in the past year, plus lots of small parts and accessories, many of which I have flipped for decent profit online. So it's still an entertaining use of my time to go.

Posts: 2478 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I only go when i need a "loophole"! Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post