SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Engineers and automation guys: Anyone using Siemens Logo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engineers and automation guys: Anyone using Siemens Logo? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, everyone.

I'm writing tonight with my usual curiosity. Anybody using these Logo controllers? I'm just getting started with them, and though I'm not really proficient I do really like them.

I have a project in mind, monitoring water temperature in a couple of tanks. That's relatively easy. The tougher part is that I want to be able to get an SMS message out of the system when/if something goes wrong. So far, I'm not seeing a smooth way of doing that.

Who's got knowledge?

Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
We work on some equipment that has used older versions of the Siemens and Eaton controllers.

It does look like the LOGO 8 CRM module can send texts and also initiate commands from received texts.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've seen the CRM (CMR?) module, and I spoke with a Siemens rep about it last week. Seems they're not well suited to U.S. use, as they work on 2G cellular networks. The rep explained that those are popular in Europe and South America, but the U.S. has largely adopted 3G/4G networks and there hasn't been enough demand in the U.S. for Siemens to release a new model.

That unit would have been ideal, if it worked here. Making it worse: my building sits right on the edge of decent cellular service. Service in the morning is fair, but by afternoon it just stinks.

I was hoping I could do something with the web server built into the 0BA8 models, but so far I don't think it's intended to be used that way. Seems you can check in on that "actively," but can't automate it to call for help.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
External system probing your Siemens gear, and then calls for help itself?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Plenty of Ethernet enabled PLCs out there that email/SMS alarms.

Do you have Internet available?

I work in the HVAC/BAS world and do this all the time.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I believe that we mostly use AB or Omron

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They have a plant here in N. GA.

So basically, I am so close to Cumming, I can see Siemens.

Yes, Siemens is in Cumming, GA. You just can't make this up.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^
(Snicker!)

AutomationDirect is in Cumming, too, for what it's worth. (But not nearly as funny.)

ElKabong: I do have Internet available (at least I expect to, short of the IT guys not allowing me to put a[nother] PLC on the network). Are you using/liking any particular sensors for temperature measurement?

I did tinker with the Logo's web server today -- it's simply an interface by which one can "see" the PLC's I/O and text display over the network on which it resides. Pretty cool, but not an "active" thing like I was looking for.

One of the EE guys has some experience with Raspberry Pi (I ordered one today) and SMS. With his help, I could use an output from Logo to feed an input on a Pi, and then have Pi signal for help (sort of like SigJacket's suggestion), either by SMS or by email over the local network.

God bless America.

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
How'd this turn out?

You might check with your maintenance guys and seee what system, if any, they are using in the environmental side of things.

It could be easier to piggy back off them than get a whole new system approved.

I've taken 4-20ma signals and series them through a Siemens system and our Carrier system to avoid doubling up on sensors.

As far as sensors, just a quality 10K thermistor usually.
Cheap and accurate enough for most applications.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
That unit would have been ideal, if it worked here. Making it worse: my building sits right on the edge of decent cellular service. Service in the morning is fair, but by afternoon it just stinks.

I would get an external antenna pointed towards your cell phone tower.

https://www.solidsignal.com/pv...cYvjv1waAtjqEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/cell-ph...UTF8&node=2407782011

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of this product and am a design engineer at Siemens in Norcross. Not that it is really any surprise I guess considering how large the product catalog is.

To your question though, if your PLC is on the network you should be able to send an sms message via email. I am not sure how the Logo handles software alarm points and actions but you might be able to use them to send an email to [phone number]@txt.att.net for example. Verizon and other carriers have similar addresses.

Posts: 39 | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
An Ethernet or WiFi capable Arduino or raspberry pi would suit your needs just fine.

+1 The Raspberry Pi should give you the ability to do what you want.

These little boards are pretty amazing in the functionality vs price.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grinder:
I have never heard of this product and am a design engineer at Siemens in Norcross. Not that it is really any surprise I guess considering how large the product catalog is.

To your question though, if your PLC is on the network you should be able to send an sms message via email. I am not sure how the Logo handles software alarm points and actions but you might be able to use them to send an email to [phone number]@txt.att.net for example. Verizon and other carriers have similar addresses.

You're looking where I'm headed, for sure. As it stands, I don't think Logo has messaging capabilities built-in. The project has grown a bit now, and I may end up linking the Logo to a Maple Systems touch-screen HMI. That device does have messaging capabilities. Short of that, one of the design fellas upstairs can rig up a Raspberry Pi to send a message for me, once I trigger a Pi input with a Logo output.

It's in the works! Smile

God bless America.