SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Close call on my bike (bicycle) last night, slight owl content.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Close call on my bike (bicycle) last night, slight owl content. Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
I was cruising through some backroads on my bike last night, somewhere around 9:30pm. I'm pretty much hauling ass, and out of the corner of my eye, out of the beam of my handlebar mounted light, I see what looks like a squirrel beating feet in my direction. Ok, no bigs, i'm gonna keep going and he'll peel off in another direction. Well, he doesn't peel off, in fact, he is moving full steam ahead. Right as he enters the wash of my headlamp, the squirrel grows a 7' wingspan (maybe 12', i'm not too sure) and lands directly in front of me on the sidewalk. The squirrel, or at least as I figured, was a gigantic fucking owl. I frantically divert myself off the sidewalk and in to the grass, narrowly avoiding a tree and other shit on the ground.

Not sure what the owl had in mind, but being a bird lover, I'm glad that I didn't hit him, and I'm glad I didn't kill myself avoiding the collision.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad...almost two weeks ago, a Jet Blue E190 departing where I work, struck a Great Horned owl. The bird strike caused extensive damage to one of the engines and forced a return to the airport. Upon landing, the damaged engine leaked fuel all over the runway, causing several closures the next day for HAZMAT cleanup.

Posts: 1295 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You thought the owl was a squirrel.

The owl probably thought you were a squirrel too.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Not sure what the owl had in mind, but being a bird lover

The owls are not what they seem.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Both you and the owl were fortunate no injuries were experienced.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago a friend of mine got a new reel, since he had just got home from making evening rounds at the hospital he decided to give it a try on the street beside his house. He spooled it up with line (we normally used 12 pound trilene for school speckled trout) took a old plug with no hooks out and was casting it in the street. Next thing he knew something was taking drag. A owl saw the plug flew down and grabbed it and flew away, when the spool was empty the line snapped.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 years ago I hit a Great Horned Owl at 70 mph on my motorcycle at night. Direct hit to the center of my windshield.

It happened so fast I didn't have time to react.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Nature... definitely out of balance.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Not sure what the owl had in mind, but being a bird lover

The owls are not what they seem.

I see what you did there!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post