SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If our modern military was available in 1940's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If our modern military was available in 1940's Login/Join 
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
In reality I believe that the overwhelming political games would have us doing multiple power point briefs and checking and rechecking the briefs before they are presented.

In other words, we have today's technology and have been fighting in a third world country, chasing people who live in caves and .... you get the idea.

Today is not WWII.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What if Custer had air support at the Little Big Horn?

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I'm thinking an A10 would have changed things up a little.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

See: Battle of Ia Drang

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Rogue, Gen. Patton did perceive the threat of the Soviets and wanted to carry on the war against them while we had the troops over there. Now, I'm not at all sure we would have beaten them, but he wanted to try.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, but that was at the end of the war in 1945, when the Soviets had grown into a superpower with a huge industrial base, massive modern military, and control of half of Europe. Patton didn't want to fight the Soviets back in 1939. So my point still stands.

If we had demolished the Germans with a slew of smart bombs and cruise missiles on 9/1/1939, the second they stepped foot into Poland and years before they invaded the Soviet Union, the Soviets wouldn't have had the opportunity to get to that point, and we wouldn't have been in conflict with them.

Even if we wait until the historical date of US entry into the war on 12/8/1941, the Germans and Soviets had only been fighting for a little over 5 months at that point, and the Soviets were losing badly. We smash the Germans Gulf War-style at that point, and the Soviets still don't have the opportunity to develop into the kind of superpower they became.

No protracted WW2 = no massive Communist superpower, and no Cold War.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Bandit:
I love [Final Countdown] movie!!!
"Splash the Zeros" Eek

Rumor has it that one of the F-14 stalled and nearly bought it during filming of the dog fight.

If this is true, and if that scene made it into the movie ~ I'm wondering if the stall can be seen starting at the 5 minute and 38 second mark into this video?

www.YouTube.com/watch?v=oyjNInIH4Hw

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Simply having the communication technology and spy satellites and the intel afforded by them would change everything. The Japanese navy would have been useless if we could spot their carriers from hundreds of miles away. The Battle of the Bulge never would have happened.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
I love this movie!!!
"Splash the Zeros" Eek
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
This may warm your heart....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...inal_Countdown_(film)

Every time I see that scene I'm thinking "How do you suppose they say 'WTF WAS THAT!?" in Japanese?"

Ha ha ha! So true!!

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
quote:
I love [Final Countdown] movie!!!
"Splash the Zeros" Eek

Rumor has it that one of the F-14 stalled and nearly bought it during filming of the dog fight.

If this is true, and if that scene made it into the movie ~ I'm wondering if the stall can be seen starting at the 5 minute and 38 second mark into this video?

www.YouTube.com/watch?v=oyjNInIH4Hw

Wow! That could be it. Man I love that movie.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post