SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If our modern military was available in 1940's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If our modern military was available in 1940's Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted
I can't help but wonder what might have been possible if our modern military was available during WWII.

Do you think the bad actors might have not started their aggression?

If they did, all in, would we have snuffed them out in a month?

A sub taking out the Yamato as it left dry dock the first time, targeted strikes on Hitler's headquarters, things like that.

The possible scenarios are intriguing.

Thermobaric bombs on Guadalcanal or Iwo Jima, bunker busters. The ability to use guided weapons.

I'd imagine millions of lives saved, communism eliminated along with other barbaric regimes silenced.

What a different world we'd live in!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Even if we had a modern military during WW2, we'd also need the will to use it.

Keep in mind that the US during the run-up to WW2 was intensely isolationist, with no desire to get involved in another massive foreign war like WW1. Without a direct attack like Pearl Harbor forcing us into the war (with such an attack being very unlikely if the US had possessed such a massive military superiority), many of the folks in the US at the time would have been content to simply stay on our side of the oceans and let the Axis run roughshod over Europe, Africa, and Asia.

On the flip side, the US might have been more willing to get involved in WW2, if they had been able to rely on safely and quickly demolishing the Axis using smart bombs and cruise missiles, with minimal risk to US lives.

quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
communism eliminated

How so? We were fighting alongside the Communists during WW2, not against them.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah but then we would have to look back to WW1, which, if it had turned out differently or not happened at all may not have resulted in the rise of Hitler or the USSR. So lots of factors at play there.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
I love this movie!!!
"Splash the Zeros" Eek
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
This may warm your heart....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...inal_Countdown_(film)

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I have no military background, but in my armchair opinion:

As mentioned in the OP, I would think so much could be easily done to eliminate command and control, destroy supply lines, destroy air and naval assets, artillery, etc., without specifically trying to target the fighting men or population centers, that we could easily "win" in a matter of weeks.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's the weapons, it's more of a will/drive to fight.
US had bigger and better trained military with very modern weapons but it
Did not stop terrorists from attacking US.
They are willing to fight US in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan while outnumbered and outgunned.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
They are willing to fight US in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan while outnumbered and outgunned.

That's not working out too well for them. Wink

Back to the original question though -- short of nuclear weapons ... the widespread availability of PGMs is an awesome advancement in conventional warfare. Drones too.

Think about the entire GB / US bombing commands - absolutely MASSIVE undertakings - were required to carpet bomb often resulting in untold collateral damage but minimal military effect. They might launch 300 planes to take out one oil refinery. Take 150 casualties, kill 200 civilians but barely damage the facility...

15 PGMs in today's arsenal could wipe the factory off the map. That alone would have changed the nature of WW2.

But it's a great observation - that war techniques are a reflection of the technology of the age. WW2 - massive land Armies in the millions and massive Air Forces battling over continents - will likely never be repeated. Just like WW2 wasn't fought like WW1.

I think we are just scratching the surface with robotics and drones. We will continue to see amazing advances there.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the answer to your question. Cool

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Bandit:
I love this movie!!!
"Splash the Zeros" Eek
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
This may warm your heart....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...inal_Countdown_(film)

Every time I see that scene I'm thinking "How do you suppose they say 'WTF WAS THAT!?" in Japanese?"

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2jEDfPwG8

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sounds an awful lot like Gulf War 1

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
As long as there are people who will sell out their own country for a buck, there will always be enemies with the same capabilities we have.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And if we had our modern military, would the Axis have the same respective level of technology?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
And if we had our modern military, would the Axis have the same respective level of technology?

For the purposes of my scenario - no, just us.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Even if we had a modern military during WW2, we'd also need the will to use it.

Keep in mind that the US during the run-up to WW2 was intensely isolationist, with no desire to get involved in another massive foreign war like WW1. Without a direct attack like Pearl Harbor forcing us into the war (with such an attack being very unlikely if the US had possessed such a massive military superiority), many of the folks in the US at the time would have been content to simply stay on our side of the oceans and let the Axis run roughshod over Europe, Africa, and Asia.

On the flip side, the US might have been more willing to get involved in WW2, if they had been able to rely on safely and quickly demolishing the Axis using smart bombs and cruise missiles, with minimal risk to US lives.

quote:
communism eliminated

How so? We were fighting alongside the Communists during WW2, not against them.

Answer is obvious.

We fought along side them because we didn't have the strength to fight the axis otherwise. Enemy of my enemy and all that.

posted Hide Post
Carrying the thought more modern, what if we had today's military capabilities in Korea of the 50's or Vietnam of the 60's and 70's? Maybe the other side(s) capabilities would have been the same? We're not the Nazis of pre and WW II era at the forefront of many of the military and other technologies that exist now? Maybe it would have been the reverse with the Allies on the receiving end? Endless possibilities with many not necessarily in favor of us. Luckily the Axis powers were lead by the 'genuises' they were! Self inflicted destruction. Ever wonder where the Soviets and Chinese might have gone back then if it wasn't for Stalin and Mao's purges of their officer corps and population purges.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Islamic Terrorists do not fear death - In fact, they welcome it, literally.

I take the scenario proposed in the OP as a national military v. national military scenario, with no particular belief in guaranteed martyrdom for members of the Axis.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

Islamic Terrorists do not fear death - In fact, they welcome it, literally.

I take the scenario proposed in the OP as a national military v. national military scenario, with no particular belief in guaranteed martyrdom for members of the Axis.

From the stories my dad told me and history channel documentaries, I believe most German soldiers were very brave and willing to die for their ideology at the time, probably more so than terrorists.

In my opinion even if the good side had our current weapons, Germany woulld still have started WWII. It just would of ended faster.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Answer is obvious.

We fought along side them because we didn't have the strength to fight the axis otherwise. Enemy of my enemy and all that.

No, the US didn't start seeing the Soviet Union as a major threat until after WW2, with the Soviets having emerged from the war with a massive modern army, in control of a large swath of Europe, transformed into a major global economic power, and having seized a large chunk of Germany's skilled minds and scientific and technological innovations.

It isn't as if, were it not for the Germans and Japanese, the US would have fought the Soviets even earlier. Rather, were it not for the German invasion of the Soviet Union, which allowed the Soviets to in turn occupy most of Eastern Europe and forced them to rally together, improve their military, and massively increase their industrial output and harvesting of resources, the Soviet Union would have continued to not be viewed as a serious threat by the US.

Because without the German invasion and subsequent defeat as a driving force for modernization, innovation, and cultural unity, the Soviet Union would have remained much like it was in the 1920s and 1930s: an poorly led, internally fractured technological backwater, plagued by famine and pogroms, hopelessly snarled in bureaucratic in-fighting, and outfitted with a numerically large but dated and sub-par military force.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post