SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Antonio City Council removes Chick-fil-a from airport concession plan.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Antonio City Council removes Chick-fil-a from airport concession plan. Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
Lemmie see if I understand this. Chick-fil-a offers to pay $1,000 a DAY for 658 square feet. Plus 10% of gross. A company with a track record of treating their employees well and serving up excellent chow. And is denied on religious grounds?

The Chick-fil-a was set to fill just 658 square feet of the deal, according to the agreement. Chick-fil-a would've paid $366,507 annually in rent to the city as part of a guarantee of $2.165 million in annual rent from the company, according to the concessionaire agreement. Chick-fil-a also would've paid 10 percent of annual gross receipts to the city.
The lease would've begun Jan. 1, 2020.

"With this decision, the City Council reaffirmed the work our city has done to become a champion of equality and inclusion," District 1 Councilman Roberto Trevino, who voted against Chick-fil-a, said in a statement Friday. "San Antonio is a city full of compassion, and we do not have room in our public facilities for a business with a legacy of anti-LGBTQ behavior.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/san-...5_null_headlines_hed

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Leftists are very stupid people. Those who constantly scream about racism, fascism, intolerance etc are actually the ones committing such acts. The hypocrisy is mind numbing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
"San Antonio is a city full of compassion, and we do not have room in our public facilities for a business with a legacy of anti-LGBTQ behavior.

Completely false. As a business, Chick-fil-a has never discriminated against anyone.

Equality and inclusion insofar that your thoughts are equal to theirs apparently. These people are clueless.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Pity. But given the level of class held by CFA, I doubt they'd sue to gain the space. They'll simply respect the decision and move on. Though I could see them pushing back on the false statement that CFA has a "legacy of anti-LGBTQEIEIO behavior". All of this talk of CFA being 'discriminatory' is based on an interview where their founder was speaking on his own personal views. Unless their definition of "anti-LGBTQEIEIO behavior" means they're not donating money to their favorite causes and holding "National Cross-Dresser Appreciation Day" events at their stores.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
... I doubt they'd sue to gain the space ...

Maybe not sue, but they are politely telling City Council that CFA will be looking for a 'better understanding' of the decision.

The Four C's of sales. Concede, Commit, Convince, Close. Love their polite, understated "Concede".

From the linked article:

Chick-fil-a said in a statement to San Antonio ABC affiliate KSAT that they were disappointed by the vote.

"This is the first we’ve heard of this. It’s disappointing," the statement said. "We would have liked to have had a dialogue with the city council before this decision was made. We agree with Councilmember Treviño that everyone is and should feel welcome at Chick-fil-A. We plan to reach out to the city council to gain a better understanding of this decision."

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
San Antonio on the same path as Portland & Seattle albeit not nearly as far along.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Their loss. Chik Fil a is great and always very busy. The constituency is who is getting screwed.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Virtue signaling by those without any

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"This is the first we’ve heard of this. It’s disappointing," the statement said. "We would have liked to have had a dialogue with the city council before this decision was made. We agree with Councilmember Treviño that everyone is and should feel welcome at Chick-fil-A. We plan to reach out to the city council to gain a better understanding of this decision."

I think that is what called a velvet covered sledge hammer.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
LBGQ and don’t agree with Chick Fil A’s founder’s views? Don’t eat at Chick Fil A. But be “pro-choice”. Hypocritical GDC asswipes.

The Chick Fil A in liberal Denver’s airport seems to always have a long waiting line, while nearby establishments are practically empty. I bet the exact same thing would have been the case in San Antonio. A win for Chick Fil A’s competitors there, and a loss for everyone else.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Completely false. As a business, Chick-fil-a has never discriminated against anyone.

They discriminate against hungry people on Sunday Wink

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Chick Fil A in liberal Denver’s airport seems to always have a long waiting line, while nearby establishments are practically empty. I bet the exact same thing would have been the case in San Antonio.

Which is most likely the real reason for this. The other vendors didn't want the competition. This whole "anti-LGBTQEIEIO" bit is just the fig leaf. I've seen the same situation in other airports where the CFA has a long line and many of the others are not so well patronized.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
So what are they going to put there instead? My guess is someplace with sub-par service and food instead.

Foolish. I bet with the 10% of gross sales will be a lot less with whatever they replace it with.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I wish there was a Chick-fil-A nearby Frown.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
They discriminate against hungry people on Sunday

Ha! The first time I ever went to a Chick-Fil-A was about a dozen years ago in VA. I was up at Quantico staying at a hotel in Stafford. Every morning I would hit the drive through and get an egg sammich. Lordy it was good! Then one Sunday as I was heading in I cruised into the drive through lane. No one greeted me at the speaker. I even said "Hello?" and I hung my head out of the window, getting closer to the mic to make sure they could hear me. Nothing. Finally I pulled forward to the window. No one there. Lol I was fit to be tied! I got to work and said something to one of the guys and he was like "Oh yea they are closed on Sunday's". Smile

San Antonio's loss.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
"Oh yea they are closed on Sunday's". Smile

San Antonio's loss.

They're pretty up front about it. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how the opinions of 5% of the population can cause such a ruckus and deny 90% of the population something they enjoy

I left out 5% as I've eaten at Chick Fil A three times and to be honest, I've had much better chicken sandwiches at other places, they just taste flat to me. But... I hate the alphabet crew influencing my decisions on where to eat or not.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve got family that live in San Antonio and I’m a native Texan but I’ll never live there, this is a perfect example of why. Their former mayor Castro represents my general view of SA politics - I do my best to avoid that city. It’s hard enough having to deal with Houston since I live in the area.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I am eating chick fill a breakfast as I read this.

Chikn minis are crack

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the city council has their priories in the right leftist order. (stats below from the Seattle is Dying news video)

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post