SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling old silverware?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling old silverware? Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Mom in law has been moved to a retirement home. Her set of silverware will need a new home. It’s this variety.
https://www.replacements.com/s...uery=orchid+sterling. I don’t know yet how many pieces are in the set.

Anyone here sell any recently, if so whats the best way to do it? None of the 3 kids want it, and she can use the funds down the road. Thx.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, there's not much of a demand for old silverware now. Middleclass newlyweds are not doing the silver/china/crystal thing like they did in the past. Obviously, it will always have value as scrap. Sterling is 92.5% silver.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Does David Truong buy silver, also?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
My wife sold some extra pieces a while back and it just brought the going price for silver. We have a complete set of 12 service and she had them looked at by a local gold/silver jewelry place and they offered just a tad over the metal value. since they were her mother's we still have the set and use it on holidays. There are places that will value it for you but sorry, can't direct you to anyone in particular.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
After my Dad died two years ago and I acquired all of my parents' and grandparents' heirloom silverware, I found that there's not much of a market and the best thing to do was sell all of it for content.

I contacted SigForum's own Dave Truong. He could not have been more accommodating, generous, and fair with his appraisal and offer.

This is the way to go.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You can weigh it, but discount the knives as they are almost always stainless (the blades). Then calculate the silver part as .925 silver. Then you can try Replacements.com as a place to sell it. If you can get more than its scrap price, you've done well. Everyone is out to cheat you. Its just a fact of life. Your baseline is scrap and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

So once you get the details, contact Replacements.com and see what they'll offer. Until you get the exact details, any guess will just be a guess. One rough way to estimate is figure that each spoon and fork is about 1oz troy. Figure the knives are 1/2 oz. As much as you'd like to think its worth a fortune, its probably not.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Thx gang. I shared this info with the family.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The GF and I use it daily. A fancy silver spoon adds class to a bowl of Campbell's tomato soup. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Unless it is extraordinary in terms of being silverware (made by Paul Revere, or Tiffany, or owned by King George III), it is worth what silver is worth, as many said.

Ordinary sterling has no extra value.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Replacements may buy it from you also...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
How many pieces? Current price spot for .999 (fine silver) is $14.80. The price for scrap .925 silver is probably $10-$12 per troy ounce (31.3grams vice 28grams).
1 Troy oz of .925 sterling silver has 28.9g of fine silver.
If spot fine silver is $14.80/ozt the value of .925 is about $13.78/ozt.
Most scrap dealers take $2-2.50 off the price of spot to buy .925 scrap (maybe more).
Leaving you with about $11.28/ozt.
An average fork is 40-50g; average spoon is 20-30g
I weighed three average forks and two average spoons and came up with 195g. I would expect that at a scrap dealer you might get $50-75 dollars for those pieces. If I was buying I would pay between $70-80 at the dealer.

I hope this helps you figure out what to do with the silver and what to expect.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Thx again guys. I’ve had one inquiry from here who may help us out. I now know it’s really only worth the silver value is. Thx. We appreciate all the info.

FBLM LGB!

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
The GF and I use it daily. A fancy silver spoon adds class to a bowl of Campbell's tomato soup. Smile

Maybe I need her to bring me one fancy spoon home.. ha

FBLM LGB!

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Seriously, it's much more better to eat with than stainless from Wallyworld. Polish that shit up and you'll think you're Harry and Meghan and be looking around for the servants.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I have my parents' sliver stashed in a closet. Makes me think I should start using and enjoying it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never sold anything to replacements.com but I did purchase silver and china to fill out our set to 12 place settings. No issues dealing with them.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Look up "brown furniture glut" and you'll see that there is a huge glut of old china and silver and furniture building up because no one from the generation buying their first homes/renting their first apartments and all that comes with it, wants this stuff.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Look up "brown furniture glut" and you'll see that there is a huge glut of old china and silver and furniture building up because no one from the generation buying their first homes/renting their first apartments and all that comes with it, wants this stuff.

I agree, we have crystal, china, and silverware. Our kids could care less about it.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My parents just dealt with the last Grandmother dying.

The clean out process from living in a home for 75 years, all the old furniture, china, etc, etc, was nearly overwhelming.

They and the aunts/uncles got it done - however within 6 months my parents moved from a 2 story townhome to a 1 story ranch (practical purposes) and did a massive discard of stuff - they picked what they needed & used, kept some nostalgic pieces / things, then offered the rest to us - I didn't take anything as the only piece I would want, they still use. I think they donated a bunch of it and took the write offs instead of trying to sell, but they might have done some of that too.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Only if you eat the soup out of the can. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post