SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about above ground pools
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about above ground pools Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
Replacing a 16x32 due to storm damage. The new 18z34 is going up this weekend. The installer asked if I wanted a center drain. My old pool didn’t have one. I had never even heard of it. He recommended it, says it helps keep the pool cleaner, distributes chemicals better, and creates more uniform temperature. It’s $250 more. Does anyone here have any experience or input?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I presume that it would be connected to a pump that is recirculating the water through a filer system. Our in-ground pool and everyone I've seen have drains centered in the deep end.

What other water circulation drain is in the pool design. If the return drain is half way up a wall, and the skimmer in the same area the reason for a center drain may be to increase the flow of water from the bottom of the pool into the filter and chemical loop.

A center drain may improve the ability of the pump to move all the water in a more even process.

https://www.inyopools.com/Blog...-above-ground-pools/

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the drift, but how many gallons does one of these hold?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with above ground pools. Larger community inground pools I do. A drain in the bottom should definitely help move water around. Only thing I would think about is if it would reduce flow to the skimmer enough to alter its effectiveness.

On the pools, I worked on the Main drain or center drain had a valve as did the skimmer line so you could control the flow with both.

Prior to opening every year the county inspectors would use urine dye to test for even flow through all the inlets in the pool. Fun to see a pool turn orange/yellow. I also had some and would test all my pools before the inspectors did.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Length x width x depth x 7.5 =

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Length x width x depth x 7.5 =

Aye, but I know not the depth of the above ground pools.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Pepsiblue, I have 2 drains in the center of my 28x52 pool. My pool is salt water. I think it helps keep the pool cleaner and distribute the salt better. I also don’t have to worry about my kids getting sucked to the drain since 2 has more volume and less suction.

I think it’s worth the money

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like a good idea but I would ask how do they support the drain/hoses. Also, do you have a base/pad under the liner?

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of your responses!

To be honest I am not exactly sure how much water that it holds, but he should be over 20,000 gallons.

There is no liner per se under the pool, just sand. The drain line itself will be buried in the ground and supported by dirt surrounding it.

The drain line will be plumbed in and will circulate water powered by the regular pool pump, if that makes sense. As it was explained to me, there will be multiple valves plumbed in line so that you can adjust how much suction you have to the drain line, and so that you can adjust between it and the skimmer.

Judging from what you guys have said so far it seems like a pretty good option. I guess I will try it and see how it goes! As always thanks for your help and your knowledge!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I built above ground pools for a couple of summers during college. They were Kayak pools, to be more specific.

We always put a center drain in them.

The drain was placed exactly as you describe. It was a hose that went to the pump/filter and fed back by the return. We did not install valves to regulate how much suction the drain would have, though. We also installed skimmers on the pools.

The pools we installed had liners. It was tricky because you had to cut the liners in 3 spots: drain, skimmer and return. If we messed up a liner, we had to pay for one. Fortunately we never messed a cut up. The area cut was sealed by a gasket on either side. It was actually quite simple.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post