SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Check your state's unclaimed property division for yourself/family
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check your state's unclaimed property division for yourself/family Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
A lot of states have unclaimed property departments with government websites. Make sure it is a government site and not some third party finder site that wants a fee.

What you may find is they are holding money that belongs to you or your relatives.

I have found relatives that were due things like small balances on old bank accounts, final paychecks, insurance premiums, employee stock, lease deposits, etc.

Usually claiming it is a simple form.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I checked the Michigan site. It says they only have items worth $50 or more.

Interesting.

It shows my mother has two items, and about 4 dozen more spread around the state for various extended family.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found that there was money in my fathers name.

He passed away and left everything to my mother who passed away.

I would have had to get a lawyer and reopen both estates. Then I would have had to disperse the money between my sister and I. My sister has also passed away so that complication is added.

I decided it was not worth the time and money to follow up.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Just found $82 owed me by Google from five years ago!!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I found an account that had $125 in it from 42 years ago. *

So, what was effectively a one month mortgage payment back in time, is now valued around the cost of having the lawn mowed, or about 10%.

* "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I searched on the Indiana site. It showed two people who share my last name are each due $0.50 from the IN BMV Settlement. $Nada for me.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Texas has $335 of mine. From PayPal of all placesMad

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Save. Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Ohio has $12 of my wife’s money. Whoopdie doo.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My State State Treasury site says to use this link.

https://missingmoney.com/en/

No money for me or my wife but looks like 2 of my Uncles have between $50-$100.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Been doing it for about 5 years. Found money for my wife, and a couple of friends!!!!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did it last night. Found $301 and applied for it. Got a message saying it would be sent within 10 working days. We'll see.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Searched IL and WI, and came up with nothing.
Nothing for me at least.

Did find 3 unclaimed properties for my ex-wife, all <$100.
We divorced in 2008. Unfortunately, she passed away in a car accident less than a year after the divorce was final, so they’ll go unclaimed.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago while checking the Missing Money website I found we were owed over $650.00.
The only thing we could figure it was an old Christmas club from New Jersey we must have forgotten about after we moved to Florida.
At first I thought it may have been a scam because to collect your money you had to give them your Social Security Number.
I called the state of New Jersey department that handles this and was told we were owed money and they sent the forms for us to fill out.
The part that sucked was the state was charging us state income tax on it and would send the difference. When I asked why they said because. I told them I already paid taxes on the money once when I earned. They said sorry that is how their system works.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post