SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like raw oysters?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like raw oysters? Login/Join 
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I have put away more than four to five hundred dozen raw oysters over the years. This number is probably low, because a normal oyster repas was 5-6 dozen.

When I was much younger, you could sit at the Acme Oyster Bar in the French Quarter and go through cold, fresh oysters, sucked right in front of you for the princely sum of $1.75 per baker's dozen (usually 6-10 dozen if we had the cash), with the all the sauce fixings - plus a little sherry - and crackers included.

Until recently, we could buy a gallon of fresh shucked oysters for $35.00.

However, when my right knee was replaced in May, at the top of the list in the pre-op package was that raw oysters were off the food list - for the rest of my life. Eek The risk of bacterial infections from raw oysters was amplified by the implants. It was a mighty blow for a 1/4 Cajun, but fried oysters are OK.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've grown up eating them cooked and just recently started trying them raw the past couple years.
I had a badly shucked one from Vegas earlier this year and it put me off.

Would I eat them again? Sure, but I learned my lesson to only eat them from a legit raw bar.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I love them but swore off several years ago. You can get some pretty nasty diseases from them.

Read about it here.

Same for me. And being in Louisiana I see a lot of them.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
No! don't care for them.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post