SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like raw oysters?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like raw oysters? Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
No thanks on the chunky snot

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oysters are pretty good here in Puget Sound, but I've never liked them raw. Fried, yes, raw, no. However this year I've shied away from Puget Sound Oysters altogether since February for some reason:

http://www.seattletimes.com/se...ed-wastewater-plant/

King County is dumping raw wastewater including sewage into Puget Sound at the rate of 50 million gallons a day as its damaged West Point Treatment Plant limps at half capacity during heavy rain.

The untreated effluent, about 90 percent stormwater and 10 percent raw sewage, is being dumped from an emergency outfall pipe a few hundred feet offshore in water about 50 feet deep at West Point, said Doug Williams, King County spokesman.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't like shucking 'em but eating them raw? Yup, with a splash of Tabasco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Love them with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I love them but swore off several years ago. You can get some pretty nasty diseases from them.
I really used to enjoy them, as did my wife, but she convinced me to forego them due to health concerns.

So now I enjoy them in a po' boy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
No thanks on the chunky snot

Never had chunky snot on a half shell, or any other kind of snot for that matter.

Can you enlighten us as to how you gained your knowledge for the comparison? Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Ick. Not even in an oyster shooter.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Prefer them fried, but I'll take them any way I can get them. On the half shell with cocktail sauce, lemon and a smidge of horseradish, is great. Put that concoction in a large shot glass filled with a crisp lager and you have a Moister Oyster.

Local resort offers Angry Oysters, fried topped with a bit of buffalo wing sauce. Outstanding!

Don't like to think real hard about what they've been eating, though.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Small, sweet ones with a squeeze of lemon and a dash of Tabasco. I'm not even going to look at Shugart's link. You can get terrible diseases from, well, any number of things.... Big Grin

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
yes, please and thank you......

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I really like the big Cape May salts because I really feel like I'm tasting the essence of the ocean. Love the smell and taste.

I'll throw some lemon juice on and some horseradish everyone and then if I feel it will enhance the flavor.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Raw? No.

Grilled in the half-shell with butter, garlic, chives, and parmesan. Those I'll eat till the cows come home.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love oysters raw with cocktail sauce and horseradish, no crackers also love them fried with tarter sauce!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
These are out of the Chesapeake Bay last year.

I'm not big on eating them but I DM on a boat a few times a year to take divers out to dive for them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to love raw oysters, but a friend got hepatitis from raw oysters, had to quit drinking beer, not a happy camper. Now I only eat then fried, but I dearly love them if they are cooked properly (not fried too hard so that there is still some moisture in them). My dad and I used to harvest our own when I was a kid, they were really good.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If they're REALLY good and fresh, I can eat 2 or 3 on the half shell and then I'm set for another few years. But fry them up and put them on a poboy? Yeah....that's the shiznit right there. Place in Kenner, LA (The Harbor...3203 Williams Blvd.) has THE best poboys on the face of this planet hands down. There's a place in downtown Baton Rouge that comes in a close second...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Love them. In my old age I've come to appreciate the taste treat of the different varieties. Like mine with fresh lemon and may a little Tabasco but not to much that it covers up the subtle flavors.

When I'm near the ocean, we pig out on them. Here in the Great Lakes State, I stick to upper end seafood places that fly them in so they are really fresh.

That all said I like them fried, stewed or smoked as well.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, delicious, with one drop of lemon juice. Even better when on top of a seafood tower at Hanks in Charleston SC. Oysters have a delicate flavor so I'm entertained when I see fellow diners flop it on a saltine and drench it in hot sauce. To each there own I guess.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes but only if I am with someone who will eat them first and confirm they are fresh, briney with no fishy flavor what-so-ever. Then I will happily eat a couple.

Clams are another story and I will eat them however I can get them.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post