SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like raw oysters?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like raw oysters? Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Just walked off the beach in Wildwood Crest after a great day. Nothing would hit the spot more righ now than a big cold plate of Cape May Salts and a cold beer.

Any other raw oyster fans?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
No. Just no. And maybe just this side of Hell No.

I had to completely dissect oysters for school. I can tell you the name of every organ as it passes through your esophagus. No thanks.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like raw oysters, and prefer Pacific oysters over Atlantic oysters. I also like fried oysters, grilled oysters, and blackened oysters.

However, I only eat oysters with a month with an r in the name (September thru April) as summer oysters tend to be gritty and there is a risk of PSP. They also spawn during the summer so laying off for 4 months helps ensure there are plenty of oysters for the future.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MMMMMMMMMM! Oysters and I'll have mine with just a bit of hot sauce please

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Given the right weather and a bit of horseradish, absolutely.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge oyster fan, but I enjoy them occasionally. Just a heads up though, that old belief about oysters positively affecting the libido is most definitely not true. On multiple occasions I've eaten a dozen raw, and only two or three worked. Smile

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Hell yes, always.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Here in Maryland you steam your crabs in Old Bay and eat your oysters raw with horseradish sauce. Plenty of beer. It's a party. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I love them but swore off several years ago. You can get some pretty nasty diseases from them.

Read about it here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Love fresh oysters on the half shell.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
raw? No.

Grilled in the shell in their own liquor and liberally drizzled with butter, garlic, and chopped parsley? Absolutely.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, but only when I'm near where they come from.

So, never in Colorado, but always in New Orleans/etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
I ate more than I could count in Key West last week. They were great!

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Love them.

I prefer them ice cold, with a generous squirt of lemon juice.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Not especially. Steamed or fried oysters on the other hand I find to be quite good.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Due to the health concerns noted above I now eat them grilled. Where I live there is an abundant supply with good prices. If you are on the Gulf Coast this place is great. He started the place after Hurricane Katrina destroyed his previous business and has done well. Oysters are great here. Here is the link savor the menu:

http://halfshelloysterhouse.co...enu/gulfport-ms-menu

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
No.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love 'em & lots of 'em. Any way they're served.

I still stick to the out-dated rule of only in months ending in "r"

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like them, but don't live for them. Will eat them if it's the thing to do, but probably wouldn't order them just for me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post