SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Android user requests advice and tips, please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Android user requests advice and tips, please Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I use native gmail app for gmail because it is pretty seamless with all other things Google (calendar, search, translate, etc.) I'm in that universe. It is what it is.

I use AquaMail for my work email exchange. I like keeping them separate but you can certainly push more than one account to AquaMail. I have been very happy with its cost (free but now with very few ads), UI, and features. It's simple but does well with my work folder system.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And as for all the palm wringing about privacy issues, if you're on a cellphone or computer, and not tunneling through a VPN, you can pretty much be assured you have no privacy regardless the program you opt for.

Nonsense.
BS. Even the damn DOJ isn't secure and gets hacked. There is 'zero' privacy when cruising through cellular and computer land. The best course of action is to not commit something to the world of 0's and 1's if you want to keep it private.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Android = Google. I don’t trust them.
Do you trust Apple any more than Google? If so I'd enjoy an explanation as to how Apple is more trustworthy.

I don’t have a good answer. I don’t necessary trust Apple either. However, Google’s business is data. Monitoring everyone, everywhere, all the time. That’s what they do. Apples business is selling iPhones and computers, etc. they probably do data mining too. So does my ISP. Maybe a VPN helps with that.

My life is as uneventful as most so I got nothing of interest. But if I can keep one of them at bay I will, just because.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
quote:
quote:
Do you trust Apple any more than Google? If so I'd enjoy an explanation as to how Apple is more trustworthy.

I'd be eager to hear that explanation too.

C'mon guys, 0-0 asked for help with a phone that he already has. He wants help with his existing phone.

Posting that you don't trust Google is not answering his question or adding meaningfully to the discussion.

First you say "I'd like to hear that explanation, too," then you say chide people for polluting the thread with such. Hello?

Anyway: Point taken. 0-0, when I was still using Android I used K-9 Mail. It wasn't perfect, but it was as close to a desktop email application, tailored for mobile devices, that I could find.

I wish I could get it on iOS. It is one of the many apps I still miss.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As per xl_target's point, I was inclined to let these go, but I can't let people go about being misled. I know I cannot convince those who see that which does not exist, but, for those of you inclined to listen to actual expertise...

quote:
quote:
quote:
And as for all the palm wringing about privacy issues, if you're on a cellphone or computer, and not tunneling through a VPN, you can pretty much be assured you have no privacy regardless the program you opt for.

Nonsense.
BS. Even the damn DOJ isn't secure and gets hacked.

Despite the fact they surely use VPN technology for off-site access to their systems. So much for VPNs protecting anything, eh?

Furthermore: An organization getting "hacked" does not automatically equate to "nobody's secure, ever." What it does suggest is that nobody can be assured of absolute, inviolable security.

E.g.: As a network admin I was always confident my systems were as secure as they could reasonably be made. I never assumed they could not be compromised. I was confident because I used systems and software that did not have a track record of regular compromise, configured them correctly and monitored them closely. But I also knew that, in the world of systems security, there are no absolutes.

quote:
There is 'zero' privacy when cruising through cellular and computer land.

Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.

When I connect between Point A and Point B using SSL/TLS (encryption), I have every bit as much security as somebody using a VPN save in one respect: Somebody snooping the connection can see the IP addresses of the endpoints.

E.g.: At one extreme: I host my own email. Unless one of my client devices or my servers have been compromised, I'm 99-44/100% certain nobody's reading my email. At the other extreme I know that when I use anything Google (or Facebook, or...), everything is subject to being harvested. Somewhere in the middle of those lies Apple. I trust their security and their assurances they will not abuse my privacy, but that's not directly under my control, so there's something of a leap of faith involved. I mitigate that by never entrusting to them anything sensitive that isn't encrypted before it gets on their network.

ETA: In each of the above examples: Making those connections through a VPN would add precisely zero additional security. And, if I chose VPN providers poorly, or the VPN provider, itself, was compromised, could even result in compromise that would otherwise not exist.

quote:
The best course of action is to not commit something to the world of 0's and 1's if you want to keep it private.

That's a bit like saying the best course of action if you don't want your car stolen is not to own a car.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I don’t have a good answer.

I do.

Tim Cook Ripped Apart Google's Business Model In 2 Paragraphs

Apple: This is how we protect your privacy

I haven't the time to post the endless stream of Android vulnerabilities, Google Play Store compromised apps, and malware found to have been incorporated into Android devices by manufacturers. Whereas iOS, while not enjoying a 100% perfect track record, is a damn sight better--by a couple orders of magnitude.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I don't trust anybody who's NOT on SF, but regardless, I'n now going nut trying to get my Contacts from iphone to anywhere else.
Had my iphone back up to my PC and now it won't send anythinhg to ICLOUD. Nor will it send to google contacts. So frustrated ...

0-0

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't the time to post the endless stream of Android vulnerabilities, Google Play Store compromised apps, and malware found to have been incorporated into Android devices by manufacturers. Whereas iOS, while not enjoying a 100% perfect track record, is a damn sight better--by a couple orders of magnitude.

If you search on my postings, I've posted some of the very recent Apple iOS vulnerabilities.. Some are pretty atrocious, and a number of them remained unpatched.

Most recent one is the Grayshift hack that police agencies around the world are using on all iPhones, including the X.

I avoid Chinese origin Android phones and always use Google play store. So far so good with monthly scans - never an issue.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don’t have a good answer.

I do.

Tim Cook Ripped Apart Google's Business Model In 2 Paragraphs

Apple: This is how we protect your privacy

Oh, because Tim Cook says Apple is trustworthy, and Google is not, you expect us to just believe him. Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
If you search on my postings, I've posted some of the very recent Apple iOS vulnerabilities.. Some are pretty atrocious, and a number of them remained unpatched.

I didn't claim Apple was perfect. I claimed iOS was "a damn sight better--by a couple orders of magnitude." I stand by that assertion.

quote:
Oh, because Tim Cook says Apple is trustworthy, and Google is not, you expect us to just believe him. Roll Eyes

That stuff is Apple's privacy policies, boiled-down from landsharkese to normal-human-readable form. I've yet to have seen an article suggesting Cook, or Apple, are lying.

Believe what you wish. I don't really care what you do with your personal information. As for me: After having researched it thoroughly, and IT having been my profession for some 25-30 years, I am satisfied my data is best-protected by using iStuff, rather than Android.

In fact: I've so little faith in Alphabet/Google/Android privacy and security, never mind the manufacturers selling hardware running Android, that, had it been successful, I might almost have switched to a Windows Phone, rather than stick with Android.

(I hope I didn't get smschulz heart failure with that one Wink.)